Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Depression After Gastric Sleeve Surgery

From the LapSF newsletter.

Many people can't imagine becoming depressed AFTER losing weight. However, depression can occur after weight loss surgery or when undergoing any time of major lifestyle change. Possible causes of depression after WLS may include:

- Mourning the loss of food for comfort. If food has always been your "friend" or something you depended on when feeling sad, stressed or lonely, saying "goodbye" can be difficult.

- Mourning the loss of pre-operative lifestyle. For example, feeling left out while socializing, participating in holiday rituals, or when dining in restaurants.

- Reactions from others. Relationships with loved ones can change or become strained. Reactions to weight loss may be negative or jealous, or otherwise unsupportive friends/family may resort to "sabotage." Positive reactions or increased attention from others can lead to feelings of discomfort, vulnerability, or resentment.

- Having unrealistic expectations. For example, thinking that everything will get better after surgery or that your emotional eating or other disordered eating habits will simply disappear.

- Hormonal changes. For some women, estrogen is released while fat is burned to make energy. This release of estrogen may cause mood swings.

- Body image discrepancies. After rapid weight loss, you do not recognize yourself or lose a sense of self. You may experience a loss of identity between the inner and outer you.

The postoperative blues typically occur during the first few weeks or months after surgery and subside over time. However, if you find that your symptoms are worsening or are beginning to interfere with your relationships, work, or daily functioning, it is time to seek help from a medical professional.

Thank you for your information on depression, because I will be scheduled for surgery soon and it is good to know these things before, so that I if I experience any of these feelings I might just remember what you put on here and then I will understand why I might be going through them post-op. I hope you are getting the help you need and I wish you all the best! Thanks again!

There can be lots of hormone changes after WLS so if you start to "yo yo" just let folks around you know not to take it personally...you are hormonal! It shall pass eventually. One day you can be on top of the mountain and the next day, under it!

Hi, just like Lan2K, I too will be getting together with a therapist. . I've been told that a therapist during the "journey" is a good thing along with a support group. . . any help will be definately looked for, like ya'll on these forums. . your a great inspiration and great ears, I will definately continue with this! Depression majors sucks, I had it super bad when I was in my 20's (I'm now 47) I even attempted suicide (as you see it didn't work! I'm greatful) I was in therapy, hospitals, lots of meds. . . finally I just said "STOP IT" and repeated it over and over and over everytime I would start feeling blue, I told my shrink I was stopping all meds on my own, he warned me against it, but I did it anyhow. . .I hated that detached head feeling everyday. . . guess what! I'm drug free, I don't get depressed anymore and when those feeling creep up I yell as loud as I can in my head "STOP IT! WHATS WRONG WITH YOU" Then I go right away and concentrate on something else, my weeding, a book, crocheting, a HOT shower (always works, one day I took about 4 HOT showers, I was very clean) I'm ok now though and feel that I've won that battle, with this new transformation, I will definately seek the care of a therapist though, cause I can see where it could hurt someone. . especially if your not used to getting looks from men, whistles, etc. . .good luck all!

Well, depression after WLS looks like it might be a common, expected phase for us, during our weight journey.

But clinical depression, I feel, needs treatment just like high blood pressure. For some, it's a chemical imbalance in the brain. There is still a stigma society has about depression, and treatment. But, no one should feel bad about having it and seeking help. We wouldn't hold it against someone if they took high blood pressure medication, we would think they were very, very smart.

The other depression after WLS, may need treatment if it doesn't subside.

I feel better now, accepting of how much (little) my tummy can hold. It's really hard to use food like I did before, which is a good thing..

Edited by Steph_123

Well, depression after WLS looks like it might be a common, expected phase for us, during our weight journey.

But clinical depression, I feel, needs treatment just like high blood pressure. For some, it's a chemical imbalance in the brain. There is still a stigma society has about depression, and treatment. But, no one should feel bad about having it and seeking help. We wouldn't hold it against someone if they took high blood pressure medication, we would think they were very, very smart.

The other depression after WLS, may need treatment if it doesn't subside.

I feel better now, accepting of how much (little) my tummy can hold. It's really hard to use food like I did before, which is a good thing..

Steph, you are so right about the depression thing. I think its really like a diabetic situation except for me it's seratonin, so I do need SSRIs from time to time.

Great post, I am going to sticky this.

Hi, just like Lan2K, I too will be getting together with a therapist. . I've been told that a therapist during the "journey" is a good thing along with a support group. . . any help will be definately looked for, like ya'll on these forums. . your a great inspiration and great ears, I will definately continue with this! Depression majors sucks, I had it super bad when I was in my 20's (I'm now 47) I even attempted suicide (as you see it didn't work! I'm greatful) I was in therapy, hospitals, lots of meds. . . finally I just said "STOP IT" and repeated it over and over and over everytime I would start feeling blue, I told my shrink I was stopping all meds on my own, he warned me against it, but I did it anyhow. . .I hated that detached head feeling everyday. . . guess what! I'm drug free, I don't get depressed anymore and when those feeling creep up I yell as loud as I can in my head "STOP IT! WHATS WRONG WITH YOU" Then I go right away and concentrate on something else, my weeding, a book, crocheting, a HOT shower (always works, one day I took about 4 HOT showers, I was very clean) I'm ok now though and feel that I've won that battle, with this new transformation, I will definately seek the care of a therapist though, cause I can see where it could hurt someone. . especially if your not used to getting looks from men, whistles, etc. . .good luck all!

I so appreciate your posting this. I am having a very difficult post surgery adjustment time and although I am hesitant to speak about it as I do not want to discourage anybody, I most definitely need one on one therapy and a support group as well. Can anybody here give me some suggestions of what to look for in a therapist?

I believe Norma is a therapist. I will send her a pm and ask her to post here. Hopefully she can help you with this.

Find a therapist you can talk to, and one that has experience dealing with bariatric patients. Talk to several before you decide.

Here are some additional resources that might help:

The Emotional First Aid Kit: A Practical Guide to Life after Bariatric Surgery

* RECOMMENDED

by Cynthia L. Alexander, PsyD

Dr. Alexander discusses many of the difficulties a bariatric patient is likely to encounter and some realistic and practical

strategies for dealing with them. Most people go into bariatric surgery full of motivation and hope, only to find day-to-day

postoperative existence more stressful than they imagined. Here are the psychological tricks of the trade to help make

your own journey a successful one.

Exodus from Obesity: The Guide to Long-Term Success after Weight Loss Surgery

* RECOMMENDED

by Paula F. Peck, RN

Paula Peck provides the information, encouragement and guidelines for maintaining long-term success after weight loss

surgery. Ms. Peck has been a Registered Nurse for over 30 years and personally has experienced a weight loss of more

than 175 pounds twice in her life: Once unsuccessfully from "white-knuckle" dieting, and once successfully from weight

loss surgery 5 years ago. Ms. Peck interweaves intelligent discussion with humorous stories about herself and individuals

that have faced diet after diet and ultimately chose the gastric bypass procedure.

The Success Habits of Weight-Loss Surgery Patients by Colleen M. Cook

Colleen Cook, a weight-loss surgery patient since 1995, has taken the real-world experiences of thousands of weight-

loss surgery patients and condensed them into the principles you'll find in this book. These time and people tested

principles are the results of years of research of long-term weight loss surgery patients. They work regardless of the

particular type of weight-loss surgery you may have had.

Weight Loss Surgery For Dummies by Marina S. Kurian, Barbara Thompson, Brian K. Davidson

A guide to weight loss surgery – before, during, and after. This compassionate guide helps you determine whether you

qualify and gives you the scoop on selecting the best center and surgical team, understanding today's different

procedures, and achieving the best results. You also get tips on eating properly post-op and preparing appetizing meals,

as well as easing back into your day-to-day life.

Before and After: Living and Eating Well After Weight Loss Surgery by Susan Maria Leach

In addition to more than 100 recipes in this book, there are ideas to help a post-op cook stay on the path and adapt

his/her own recipes. Includes tips for eating out and cooking during the holidays. There is an introduction to Protein,

sugar, and carbohydrates for those who are post gastric bypass surgery, as well as a list of sources for special foods and

ingredients.

Eating Well After Weight Reduction Surgery by Patt Levine

The author has created 125 recipes that contain no added sugar, are very low in fat, and get their carbohydrates almost

exclusively from fruits and vegetables. Each recipe includes specific guidelines for preparation of the dish for every stage

of the eating programs for Lap-Band, gastric bypass, and Duodenal Switch patients, as well as suggestions for sharing

meals with those who have not gone through gastric surgery.

Recipes for Life After Weight-Loss Surgery: Delicious Dishes for Nourishing the New You

by Margaret Furtado, MS, RD, LD/N, and Lynette Schultz, Chef, LCRP, RT

Margaret Furtado and Lynette Schultz have a combination of almost 40 years experience in clinical nutrition and the

culinary arts. Together, they will help you navigate your way through the sometimes turbulent waters after your weight

loss surgery, and will provide you with general clinical guidelines after your procedure, as well as helpful hints for easing

your transition from surgery to your new, healthy lifestyle. With sections on home entertaining and eating-on-the-run.

Laparoscopic Associates of San Francisco (LapSF):

WLS Lifestyles Magazine:

http://www.wlslifestyles.com

American Society of Bariatric Surgeons:

www.asbs.org

Edited by Steph_123

It makes perfect sense that depression might be related to having surgery. Surgery is causing some changes with how you cope with issues in your life that you might not have had to deal with at all by being obese--for example, being seen by the opposite sex, being in competition with friends, being out in public, and not being able to fill your emotional needs with eating, just to name a few.

Finding a therapist equipt to deal with this--first, you can pm me if you want and i will be happy to help you find a therapist in your area. If you have insurance, look on the back of your card for a mental health number. Call and ask for someone who specializes or has experience with weight loss or bariatrics and with depression, self image, and food addictions. Most therapist will do a phone screening in which you can ask questions about cost, time frames and scheduling and get a feel for the therapist. If they don't do phone screening, their first appointment should be a free consult. If you don't have insurance, see if your employer has an Employee assistance program-that usually qualifies you for 6 free sessions with your EAP therapist group. I would recommend EMDR, a type of therapy which takes the emotional overtones and disconnects them from events/memories of situations that you have experienced and allows you to look at situations more factually to resolve current issues. For example, if your family insulted you over eating choices and that happened on the same day that a boyfriend stood you up on Prom night, your brain might have wired a connection between rejection and food and shame. EMDR can separate that connection in a really short time which will keep you from having to engage in years of therapy.

I believe Norma is a therapist. I will send her a pm and ask her to post here. Hopefully she can help you with this.

Thank you Susan.

Find a therapist you can talk to, and one that has experience dealing with bariatric patients. Talk to several before you decide.

Here are some additional resources that might help:

The Emotional First Aid Kit: A Practical Guide to Life after Bariatric Surgery

* RECOMMENDED

by Cynthia L. Alexander, PsyD

Dr. Alexander discusses many of the difficulties a bariatric patient is likely to encounter and some realistic and practical

strategies for dealing with them. Most people go into bariatric surgery full of motivation and hope, only to find day-to-day

postoperative existence more stressful than they imagined. Here are the psychological tricks of the trade to help make

your own journey a successful one.

Exodus from Obesity: The Guide to Long-Term Success after Weight Loss Surgery

* RECOMMENDED

by Paula F. Peck, RN

Paula Peck provides the information, encouragement and guidelines for maintaining long-term success after weight loss

surgery. Ms. Peck has been a Registered Nurse for over 30 years and personally has experienced a weight loss of more

than 175 pounds twice in her life: Once unsuccessfully from "white-knuckle" dieting, and once successfully from weight

loss surgery 5 years ago. Ms. Peck interweaves intelligent discussion with humorous stories about herself and individuals

that have faced diet after diet and ultimately chose the gastric bypass procedure.

The Success Habits of Weight-Loss Surgery Patients by Colleen M. Cook

Colleen Cook, a weight-loss surgery patient since 1995, has taken the real-world experiences of thousands of weight-

loss surgery patients and condensed them into the principles you'll find in this book. These time and people tested

principles are the results of years of research of long-term weight loss surgery patients. They work regardless of the

particular type of weight-loss surgery you may have had.

Weight Loss Surgery For Dummies by Marina S. Kurian, Barbara Thompson, Brian K. Davidson

A guide to weight loss surgery ? before, during, and after. This compassionate guide helps you determine whether you

qualify and gives you the scoop on selecting the best center and surgical team, understanding today's different

procedures, and achieving the best results. You also get tips on eating properly post-op and preparing appetizing meals,

as well as easing back into your day-to-day life.

Before and After: Living and Eating Well After Weight Loss Surgery by Susan Maria Leach

In addition to more than 100 recipes in this book, there are ideas to help a post-op cook stay on the path and adapt

his/her own recipes. Includes tips for eating out and cooking during the holidays. There is an introduction to Protein,

sugar, and carbohydrates for those who are post gastric bypass surgery, as well as a list of sources for special foods and

ingredients.

Eating Well After Weight Reduction Surgery by Patt Levine

The author has created 125 recipes that contain no added sugar, are very low in fat, and get their carbohydrates almost

exclusively from fruits and vegetables. Each recipe includes specific guidelines for preparation of the dish for every stage

of the eating programs for Lap-Band, gastric bypass, and Duodenal Switch patients, as well as suggestions for sharing

meals with those who have not gone through gastric surgery.

Recipes for Life After Weight-Loss Surgery: Delicious Dishes for Nourishing the New You

by Margaret Furtado, MS, RD, LD/N, and Lynette Schultz, Chef, LCRP, RT

Margaret Furtado and Lynette Schultz have a combination of almost 40 years experience in clinical nutrition and the

culinary arts. Together, they will help you navigate your way through the sometimes turbulent waters after your weight

loss surgery, and will provide you with general clinical guidelines after your procedure, as well as helpful hints for easing

your transition from surgery to your new, healthy lifestyle. With sections on home entertaining and eating-on-the-run.

Laparoscopic Associates of San Francisco (LapSF):

WLS Lifestyles Magazine:

http://www.wlslifestyles.com

American Society of Bariatric Surgeons:

www.asbs.org

Thanks for putting this list of important books together. I really appreciate your effort.

It makes perfect sense that depression might be related to having surgery. Surgery is causing some changes with how you cope with issues in your life that you might not have had to deal with at all by being obese--for example, being seen by the opposite sex, being in competition with friends, being out in public, and not being able to fill your emotional needs with eating, just to name a few.

Finding a therapist equipt to deal with this--first, you can pm me if you want and i will be happy to help you find a therapist in your area. If you have insurance, look on the back of your card for a mental health number. Call and ask for someone who specializes or has experience with weight loss or bariatrics and with depression, self image, and food addictions. Most therapist will do a phone screening in which you can ask questions about cost, time frames and scheduling and get a feel for the therapist. If they don't do phone screening, their first appointment should be a free consult. If you don't have insurance, see if your employer has an Employee assistance program-that usually qualifies you for 6 free sessions with your EAP therapist group. I would recommend EMDR, a type of therapy which takes the emotional overtones and disconnects them from events/memories of situations that you have experienced and allows you to look at situations more factually to resolve current issues. For example, if your family insulted you over eating choices and that happened on the same day that a boyfriend stood you up on Prom night, your brain might have wired a connection between rejection and food and shame. EMDR can separate that connection in a really short time which will keep you from having to engage in years of therapy.

Thanks Norma, I'll pm you.