Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

reflux in my sleep-help

I don't think it's going to work for me -- I've been on 40 mg. since 9/25 and I'm still having problems and having to take Zantac during the day - thinking I might just switch to Zantac and see how it works. I have worse acid reflux now than I did when I had GERD and before my hiatal hernia was repaired -- does that make sense?

Thanks MacMadame, I will say that I have felt better today I hope tonight's a better night. I am retiring in a couple of minutes. This will be day 2 on the prilosec.

I don't think it's going to work for me -- I've been on 40 mg. since 9/25 and I'm still having problems and having to take Zantac during the day - thinking I might just switch to Zantac and see how it works. I have worse acid reflux now than I did when I had GERD and before my hiatal hernia was repaired -- does that make sense?

Sorry to hear that you too are having this problem. It doesn't make sense to me at all...what has your doctor said? I sure hope your situation improves...I didn't realize that this would be such an issue with the sleeve.

Zantac is not a PPI though. You want to find something that stops the acid production rather than sops up the excess as that's better for your tummy and esophagus. If prilosec doesn't work, there is Prevacid, Nexium, Protonix, etc. that might work.

Prilosec gave me a headache in the past. Nexium does not seem to bother me and really works well to prevent reflux...had it only the first night I was home after surgery, and no more. I'm really happy about that...it was a nasty experience.

Temporary reflux is not uncommon after the VSG, and even moreso if you have a hiatal hernia repair done at the same time. I knew that going into surgery, so am extremely careful with swallowing small portions, and following the diet, food/fluid restrictions before bedtime, sleeping on wedge pillow, etc. Prolonged reflux puts acid in your esophagus which causes it to swell, can form scar tissue, and further increases the reflux/pain with swallowing. So prevention is the very best way to go.

Zantac is not a PPI though. You want to find something that stops the acid production rather than sops up the excess as that's better for your tummy and esophagus. If prilosec doesn't work, there is Prevacid, Nexium, Protonix, etc. that might work.

Oh yeah, you're right about that - Nexium works the best; however, my insurance won't cover it, it also won't cover Prevacid, that's why I'm on Prilosec. I will stay on it until I see my doc on 10/15 and then talk to him about it at that time ... I'll just take the zantac along with it as that seems to alleviate any acid.

This has got me thinking, will we need to be on these meds for the rest of our lives? If not will we need weaning off? This causes me such anxiety.

No, you don't stay on them forever, at least most people don't. Most people get off them around 6 months out. It's not something you need to worry about now though.

Vegas, see if you ins. will cover Protonix. It comes in generic now and it's great!

Thanks VegasAngel, I'm so freaking anxious because of the changes and odd sensations everything...nothing feels normal yet. I just took an anti anxiety med. I nearly had a panic attack while playing scrabble with my mom.

Daisy - when I see my doc on 10/15, I'll ask him about it.

Lan2K - Everything you're going through is normal - everyone experiences these feelings - you need to find a way to quit worrying about everything - stress can stall your weight loss- and then you'll be worrying that you're not losing weight. Stop - BREATH - count to 10 - RELAX! (BTW - I LOVE Scrabble!)

Thanks again VegasAngel-hopeful that today will be better.

OF course it will be better --choose to let it be better - don't focus on the negatives - focus on the positives - stay as busy as you can and try not to think about your tummy ... you ARE going to be FINE!!!

Thank you for sharing your personal details. I am wondering why you had to have a feeding tube, was it due to the reflux? I sure hope things calm down for you.

The feeding tube was required due to my esophagus being destroyed and having to be rebuilt. I don't think it causes or helps the reflux. The feeding tube was taken out on Friday but I have not noticed a reduction in the reflux.

Oh yeah, you're right about that - Nexium works the best; however, my insurance won't cover it, it also won't cover Prevacid, that's why I'm on Prilosec. I will stay on it until I see my doc on 10/15 and then talk to him about it at that time ... I'll just take the zantac along with it as that seems to alleviate any acid.

Do you have Gaviscon in the US? It doesn't do anything for acid production, but it makes a foamy barrier at the top of your stomach that keeps the acid from squirting upwards, and neutralizes burps. Works really well on half a pill, they are chewable and last a lot longer than tums or maalox. I took a lot of them pre surg as I didn't want to take yet another prescription drug.

Ivy (reflux seems better after surgery! Either nexium is da bomb or I got really lucky)