Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any other Canadians out there?

Hi All - I live in Brooks, Alberta. I originally had a lapband in July 2007 and a revision to a VSG in Sept 2009. Make sure that you get your out of country doctor to fill out a form for you that you can get from the Alberta Health Care website - submit it and your detailed receipt to Alberta Health Care - it takes about 12 weeks but the will reimburse you some of your expenses. I received $1280.00 for my lapband and $1926.00 for my revision - the rest of the expenses can be claimed on your income tax under medical expenses.

OOOOOOOOOOOOHHH I sooooooooo wish I lived anywhere else than Quebec!!!! The only thing I can hope for is a bit on the income taxes!!!

Hello fellow Canadians,

Well, I'm back from Mexico, was sleeved by Dr Aceves on 15th of July. What an awesome experience....top notch!

So far, everything is going great, a real breeze for me!! Hope you're all doing well...and those of you that are scheduled to be sleeved soon, I'll be thinking of you!

excellent! glad you are doing well!! Keep us posted ok?

If you have any tips on what to bring ect, bring em on!!! I am getting ready for my turn in september!:thumbup:

As far as I know, there are no physicians in Vancouver doing this work or else I would have gone myself. There is a surgeon in Victoria but his wait-list is 3-5 years long.

I went to Puget Sound Surgical Centre in Edmonds, WA.

Google their site .. tons of information there

Are there any doctors doing the vertical sleeve in Vancouver bc or Washington state?

As far as I know, there are no physicians in Vancouver doing this work or else I would have gone myself. There is a surgeon in Victoria but his wait-list is 3-5 years long.

I went to Puget Sound Surgical Centre in Edmonds, WA.

Google their site .. tons of information there

when I called them in victoria they told me 5 - 7 yrs wait :)

Hello my fellow Canadians...

I, like Miss Lili am from Montreal,Quebec and as she stated we like to do things differently here...lol

Waiting time is ridiculous!! With one surgeon I have been on a waiting list for 3 years so far for a consult and I called them this week and was told it would be 2 more years until I'd have a consultation with the surgeon. So 5 years in total waiting for a CONSULT!!

But Last December I was very fortunate to get a consult with another excellent surgeon in Montreal and I was told this week that I'm about 8 months more until my actual surgery.

I was very lucky but I also researched like crazy to stay in Quebec and have my province's healthcare system pay for it.We pay enough in taxes to warrant good service at home!

Good luck to all who are having surgeries and keep us posted.

Take care,

Ada

Hi everyone,

It has been a long time since I posted, but I thought I would check in.

Here is my story:

Overweight almost my whole life. I lost over 100 pounds (twice) and gained it all back + each time.

In July 2009 my Dr. referred me to Halifax NS for a VSG. I was waiting for an invitation to an info. session.

Back in Oct. my spouse accepted a promotion in Ottawa (we were living in PEI). He moved in Nov. I stayed behind to sell the house and look after our 2 boys while they finished school. In May I sold the house (a 15 day closing period), packed everything up and moved the boys and I into a friends place.

I came to Ottawa to buy a house only to be told by my (now) ex-spouse that he thought we should buy our own houses.......

So I bought a house and moved my kids and I from PEI. You see by then I had already quit my job, sold my house, started a new job in Ottawa so there was no going back.

All during this time I was waiting to hear about an info. session for the surgery in NS. I seriously thought about going to Mexico but my family begged me not to. My Mom has loaned me money to allow me to pay for VSG. If I waited another 18 months or so I could get the RNY paid for by the Ontario Gov't but I don't want to wait that long and I don't really want the RNY.

So, 2 weeks from today on Oct 4th I will have a VSG done by Dr. Michel Gagner in Montreal, Quebec. He is doing surgery at 2 or 3 places, I will have mine at a 17 bed surgery centre at a cost of 15,000 total.

So move over all you post surgery Cdn's, I'm waiting anxiously to get on the losers bench.

Nancy

wow! that is fabulous! and a really good price too.. the others in Montreal are un in the 20-22k range!

good luck then!!! you will be right following me!!!

let s keep in touch!!!

Well I had my surgery as scheduled on Oct 4th and everything went well.

Dr. Gagner used a 34 French Bougie and he oversews to about a 32. He said I had a long J shaped stomach so it was hard to say what percent of my stomach he actually removed.

I have been on mushies since the 2nd day post op - started in the hospital.

Not sure how much I have lost as I don't have a scale but I will see a Dr. on Tuesday and get weighed. I had lost 10 pounds between pre-op testing and the morning of surgery which gwas a good start.

I'm not getting in my fluids or Protein yet.....everyday I tell myself I can do better, but 'm not sure I accomplish that!

I'm enjoying my seat on the bench!

Nancy