Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Issues regarding liquid intake

I recently had a VSG done (getting close to the month), and so far I'm very happy with the results. Well, I'm mostly happy. I'm not a huge fan of my current liquid intake situation and I was wondering if some of you who had the surgery done a long time ago could help me out.

The main thing that is pissing me off currently is my complete inability to drink more than a few ounces of liquid before I feel like I'm going to burst. Before I had my surgery done I was the type of person that used to drink a full glass of Water in one go, and now I need 5 or so minutes to fully drink the same glass of water, and this is bugging me to no end because I don't like being restricted in my water intake.

On to my second issue. The hardest part of the post-op diet for me is not the diet itself, but the fact that I can't eat solids or semi-solids and drink at the same time. If I try to drink even a small sip after eating anything, I immediately feel like I'm going to throw up, and this is very problematic for me because I'm used to washing down any type of food with water or any other liquid.

These two issues are making me very miserable right now. Yes, I've lost close to 40 pounds now and I'm really happy about it, but at the same time I cannot get used to the changes in my liquid intake. So I was wondering if any of these issues I'm having are normal, and if they get better at any point in time. That is, will I ever be able to eat and drink at the same time again? Will I ever be able to drink an entire glass of water in one go again?

I am 2 months out, and just in the last couple of days I am able to drink like a normal person. I can't chug, but I can drink half a glass at a time without issue.

The drinking after/during meals is likely going to be a permanent thing, at lest as I understand it. Maybe some of the farther outs could comment on that.

Congrats on your loss! 40 lbs in a month is great! I am now 45 lbs at 2 months and couldn't be happier.

I am 5 weeks out. I don't know about the entire glass of Water in one shot but I do know first hand the liquids get better with time. Honestly: I am impressed you can drink a glass of Water in five minutes. You ware wayyyy ahead of the game with fluids!

The drinking while eating is hard. I admit I take a slight and I mean slight drink of water when eating but I also had a salivary glad removed a year ago so my mouth is dry. It is hard to swallow if I don't take a sip. By sip I mean 1/8 an ounce. I can't eat more than 2-3 ounces so eating is over quickly anyway. I have tried to focus on other things now. I get annoyed sometimes because I have to stop what I am doing to deal with food. What a nice change.

You will be able to drink more down the road -- truly I'm impressed you can drink an entire glass in 5 minutes -- I am 3+ months out and I can't do that.

As for drinking with your meals - that is a definite NO-NO ... you can drink up until you eat and then you are supposed to wait 45 minutes after you eat to drink anything ... and the reason is exactly as you state - you don't chew your food as well because you're used to washing it down ... and when you wash it down, your stomach empties out faster and you'll be hungry sooner and then you'll end up eating more.

When I was growing up, we were NEVER allowed to drink with our meals - my dad wouldn't allow it - for the same reason -- he said we wouldn't chew our food as well and would just wash it down with whatever we had to drink. I didn't even drink with my meals for like the 1st year of my marriage, but then that changed over time.

Since the surgery, I just leave my beverage in the other room while I am eating so I am not even tempted to take a drink/sip while I am eating. You might try that and see if it helps with the drinking while you eat ... that's a habit you're going to have to break!

I can drink a 24 oz glass of Water with my 12 capsules I take every morning. So yes, you will be able to drink a glass of water down all at once, eventually. You should not drink with your meals. I will sometimes take a small sip with my meal, if I get really thirsty, but I am too afraid of stretching the sleeve which is a possibility if you fill it with liquid and food at the same time.

There are a few restrictions with this surgery but compared to having other types of WLS or not having any I think the sleeve is the best "deal". It is a lifestyle change abd takes some adjusting. Some people do eventually drink with their meals. Some are never able to as it does wash the food through and creates a situation that allows for overeating. I don't think any of us had the surgery to continue overeating.

Being able to drink a glass of Water in one sitting is tough because your stomach only holds a few ounces although Water flows through fairly quickly. I think I read somewhere that water still takes a few minutes to flow through.

I do my Water so much easier now. I get my 64 oz., and often more, down easily. But I am an oddball (whoda thunk it?). I take very small sips of water as I eat and need it. I mean minuscule, but enough to make sure the slide is greased. After eating, no water. But during meals those tiny little sips can keep me from sliming.

BoB

Hey, sleeve brother!

Good news, bad news...Restriction is the whole point of the sleeve, so choosing the sleeve is choosing restriction. In your case that is bad news because you are having a hard time adjusting to the change.

The good news is....you are losing a lot of weight, which is the main goal of this surgery. More good news...you have undoubtedly made many changes and adjustments in your life for various reasons. If you can just talk your head into looking at this as one more necessary change/adjustment in order to reach your goal of outstanding weight loss, it will get easier.

Support from forums, family, friends, where ever you can find it will assist you. Don't give up and don't fight your sleeve...find a way to work with it!

If you want to watch a really funny movie that parodies the dilemma that you are in, rent the video entitled "What About Bob?" It is a riot and tells the story quite well!