Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Question for successful sleevers

I am getting in the program here shortly and I am very excited to move forward. I am really nervous about one thing and I was wondering what all your surgeons told you about the chances of blood clots.

I had a grandparent who passed away after a surgery years ago and they believe a blood clot was to blame. Granted she was in her 70's It is the #1 thing I am afraid of about this surgery.

Any info you have about this issue would be wonderful. Thank you for your responses in advance, I love reading about all your successes and will continue to follow.

I am getting in the program here shortly and I am very excited to move forward. I am really nervous about one thing and I was wondering what all your surgeons told you about the chances of blood clots.

I had a grandparent who passed away after a surgery years ago and they believe a blood clot was to blame. Granted she was in her 70's It is the #1 thing I am afraid of about this surgery.

Any info you have about this issue would be wonderful. Thank you for your responses in advance, I love reading about all your successes and will continue to follow.

Wow Chargers56 you are as paranoid as I am. Cant wait till you get your answers as I am curious about that too. My surgeon told me that as long as I get up and walk ASAP that it wouldnt be a problem :001_smile:

Blood clots are rare. They know how to manage them better these days. You'll get a shot of something in the OR to thin your blood and there will be other precautions they will take (they vary from surgeon to surgeon).

But the main thing you can do to prevent blood clots is MOVE. Get walking ASAP and make sure you move around as much as you can as soon as you can.

Charger,

My doctor had me get an IVC (Inter Vena Cava) filter put in a couple of weeks before surgery. It is a really cool looking cage type thing that goes in an easy procedure through the leg. The filter sits in the vena cava branch above the legs and is put in place to catch DVT clots that may be thrown during and after the procedure. You may want to look into this.

Mark

I had these big space looking boots that were hooked up to a machine that pushed air around your legs... kind of like air channels that keep circulation in check. they also gave me a shot every day to stop any chances of clotting.

the great thing about the surgury is that you can be up on your feet that day, which also promotes circulation. standing/walking/moving wasnt so painful so all this will lower the risks as well.

Things that I did to help prevent blood clots were:

1. Keep well hydrated,

2. wore support hose on the flight to and from San Diego,

3. walked, walked, walked both before the surgery, during my flights (as much as possible) , while I was in the hospital, and now that I am home

Others have already mentioned that Dr. Aceves gives gives patients an injection of Lovenox (a blood thinner) just prior to surgery, and applies a pressure device to the legs during the surgery to prevent clots. They also give you plenty of IVs to keep you well hydrated until you can drink enough on your own.

I've had no problem and you can be reassured that the incidence of clots is very, very low with this surgery...it is such a brief surgery, which helps too.