Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sleeve Gastrectomy Leak

I had a gastric sleeve on August 31. A leak was detected a week later. I've been NPO for 7 days and today will start TPN. I feel like I'm going to die. It is the worst pain and naseau I've ever had in my life and I've had numerous kidney stones and 3 back surgeries. The leak is 2mm and as of Friday it has closed 50%. However, I feel worse today than I have since the procedure. When I vomit it's either a dry heave or bright yellow bile. I know the vomitting isn't helping the leak. I've been on dilauded and zofran for 3 weeks. Has anyone had a leak? What was the treatment? I've lost 31 pounds in three weeks. At this point, I feel I've made a huge mistake that can't be taken back. Any encouragement out there? Would love to hear from people who have experienced this. :cursing::scared0:

I had a leak with my revision from band to sleeve. I had a 2nd surgery to repair the leak. My leak was 5mm, and I know exactly how you feel with the pain and nausea. I was on TPN from June 10 to June 25th. I was completely NPO during that time. Then started clears for 17 days. I was on Phenegran and Reglan during that time, and the Phenegran was my lifesaver. I've lost 74lbs (as of today) 3.5 months post-op. I never regretted my revision, but I know that it is frustrating. The only thing that kept me going is knowing that I was going to get better. Recovery is slow, and can wear you down. I was hospitalized mid-July, for one week, because they found 3 abscess/fluid pockets in my abdominal cavity. They believe it was from leftover bacteria from the leak repair surgery.

I know it seems like a huge mistake, but once you get over this speed bump you will see the light at the end of the tunnel. I am so very happy with the sleeve, and have learned a completely different way of eating. It was a tough transition to solids, and some days are still better than others. I have found that my attitude definitely made all the difference in the world. You just have to fight through it all, I know it's easier said than done some days. But, don't give up. I'll keep you in my thoughts, and if you ever want to talk, feel free to send me a message on here, and we can chat.

Do you mind me asking who did your surgery?

Did you have a band first like Tiffy?

I am so sorry to hear of your leak. I hope you heal soon. Having the sleeve is wonderful, once you get over this. I know it must be extremely hard right now, but you will heal, and then you will eventually

be really happy that you did this.

I have had the sleeve for almost 5 months and maintaining my weight loss is so easy

and most of the time, I don't even think about having the sleeve. I can eat whatever I want, in small portions, and I am thinner than I have been in over 25 years.

I did not have the band first. My doctor has been great through this and had bent over backwards to provide me with the best care. It's the first leak he has had in over 50 cases.

Thanks for the encouragement.

I wasn't asking for comments on his success rate, I was asking for people who have been where I now am to let me know how they proceeded and progressed. Thanks for your improper question, anyway.

NPO (nil per os) - Nothing by mouth, no eating/drinking, not even ice chips

TPN - Total parenteral nutrients

I had a pic line (similar to a central line) that was a flexible catheter (it was over a foot long)that led directly to my heart in my left arm that fed me 1800 calories per day via liquid nutrients/protein/folic acid/insulin/just about everything my body needed.

Wow, Tiff, you have really been through a lot. Thank goodness, you are healthy now, and doing well. Your story is already helping others.

Ah. Urg. Maybe this ain't for me...

(ok, mini-hijack over, sorry)

I am not posting my experience to try to discourage anyone. Please know that is not my intentions. I will honestly tell you that yes, the leak surgery and recovery was all stressful, but not for one second do I regret my decision to get that god-forsaken band out of my body. I can only imagine if I would of kept it in longer.

I was my surgeon's 1st leak, and he has over 500 staple lines, plus over 200 bands under his belt. I honestly believe that my stomach was so severely torn up from the band that I would of had a leak regardless of my surgeon.

I survived and am a better person for it. It was not a horrific experience. I fought through it, and I will stand by what I tell people all the time. A person's attitude and outlook on the situation makes all the difference. My husband is/was deployed during my entire experience, and his unit wouldn't let him come home. My family is in Texas, and I literally have 1 friend here. No matter how miserable I was, I got up every day, and faced it knowing that I was going to WIN.

Leaks happen less than 1 percent of the time on average.

(If your surgeon's stats are worse than that, then I'd find another one personally... I also wouldn't go to someone who hadn't done hundreds of these things, both because I want someone whose seen it all, but also because you can't really judge their stats if they haven't done a couple of hundred. But that's just my personal criteria; everyone has to decide for themselves what their own criteria is.)

So leaks happen less often than either erosion or slips with a band... to give some perspective.

Now, something things are going to up your own risk and make it be above average. For example, having a prior stomach surgery such as a prior WLS will increase your risks. So does smoking, having Type II diabetes and being SMO. You can stop smoking prior to surgery but you can't stop having diabetes or stop being SMO or do anything about prior surgery. So, if you are in those categories, you just have to be that much more careful and prepared.

There are a few other people on this board who are going through what you are going through, if you want to check in with them. You can do a thread search.

I think Hefftynetty is still in the hospital with her leak.

Please try to look on the bright side, even though right now it's difficult. We all have this surgery to lose weight and be healthier. In the end, you will have that. In my opinion, you had the best weight loss surgery that is available to us. The band has horrible complications, and the gastric bypass people have to be very vigilant about taking their Vitamins for the rest of their lives or they will have complications as well.

I am sorry you are in the 1% of the people who get a leak, but I am sure down the road, you will be happy you had the sleeve instead of any other surgery.