Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Right! I have made a joke of it but it is a serious issue that is concerning me somewhat. I think I know the answer to my problems but would welcome some input on this.

Since my op in July, I, unlike most other sleevesters, do not get any clear signals of when to stop eating. I don't feel full until it really is too late. I quite often keep going wondering to myself if I am feeling full or should be feeling full. I mean this has been my problem all my life because before I had bariatric surgery I could easily keep eating way past when I was feeling full or should have been. Do you know what I mean?

Anyway, just recently, after eating I am feeling really rough. I feel shaky all over and it feels like my heart is racing. I don't get it after drinking and I don't get it if I just have a biscuit, for example, so I am certain that it is a quantity issue and just need someone to clarify that for me or confirm that that is the case. It may be that I am being too adventurous in what I am eating as well, although most of what I eat is still accompanied with a sauce of some sort in order to help it go down.

Yesterday we took our daughter back up to uni and stopped for lunch and I didn't order a meal as it was a waste, but, I did have a few bites from my family's meals and that included a couple of fries, onion rings and breaded mushrooms. I felt fine at the time I was eating and even had a bit of apple crumble with some cream (only a very small amount), but, after we came out and got in the car I felt terrible and it lasted for about an hour afterwards. My heart seemed to be really racing and I felt so shaky and awful that I couldn't sit or stand or anything. In the end we had to find a supermarket so I could go in the toilets to be sick. I was sick there and then later on I was sick again into a bag in the car (family were not impressed at that!).

Now,I am convinced that I overdid it and ate the wrong things , you know, they just didn't agree with me and maybe it was too early to try them, but, I had no warning of feeling full at all. I felt fine until I said to myself that maybe I should stop eating at this point! I didn't physically feel full at all. I just don't seem to get the signals that other people here talk about having. I have an appetite most of the time and crave stuff and can physically stuff myself. 'I' have to tell myself not to eat, not my body. It's weird.

I have just had my lunch now and I have had to make myself stop eating just in case I feel awful after. I have only had a very small amount of cottage pie with gravy and whilst I generally feel ok I didn't feel too brilliant after I had finsished and was worried that I was going to end up feeling really ill again.

Is it the food I am eating, dairy, processed, carbs....? I am not thick but am a bit confused at this point and it may be obvious to you so please help if you can.

Thank you all

Helenxxx

Well, further to my previous post, I guess you are all sitting there thinking I am pretty stupid...I had never researched dumping syndrome (until now) as it was never mentioned to me and I didn't consider it it at all with the sleeve. I never got any symptoms like this with the band either. However, I had had my suspicions over high fat/high sugar as it's occurred after eating, albeit in only very small quantities, these foods a couple of times and I have just read an earlier post on here citing high fat/sugar as being problematic. Appetite and quantity are still an issue for me, as are cravings for sweet foods, so I am now thinking that I need to talk to my dietician and get some advice. I didn't get all this with the band (still glad to be rid of it) and things just got 'stuck' whatever they were. Now I am finding that I really do have to think more carefully about my diet...and you lot have been telling me that all along and I haven't really been listening.....

Helenxxxx

I'm not a doctor (not even close); however, I think the feelings you describe are from overeating. Plus it doesn't sound from what you are describing you are making the healthiest choices.

If you aren't sure when you are full - try measuring your food out - about 3 oz. and eat that ONLY.

I find that is a good way to be sure you are not overeating - as sometimes I don't feel full until 10-15 minutes after eating and then I'm miserable.

Try to really focus on your eating - small bites, chewing slowly. Eat only your 3 oz. and see what happens.

I don't think you are stupid at all, honestly. We are learning to live with a redesigned organ.

I am only 4 weeks out but feel your symptoms are from your food choices. Try an all Protein meal, like pureed meat. Does it happen when you eat an only Protein meal? I also think you should be measuring. Our eyes are not good at measuring portions or we wouldn't have needed surgery.

Good advice - thanks. Think I have been getting a bit complacent and not really concentrating on what I am eating. I shall weigh as well tonight rather than judge by eye and see if that helps!

I agree with the other ladies that it sounds like it could very well be the food choices. I do not get a "full signal" either so I have to really watch how much I'm eating. I know now that I get more "mushies/soft foods" in than I can dense Protein. If I were you I would measure out 3-4oz of food (not by weight), but by volume. 4oz is 1/2 cup, and stick to that amount. See how you feel after eating just that small amount, and make sure you are waiting to drink. See how long you stay full.

I WAS having a hellva time with the full feeling and throwing up. What I had to do was slow down, chew more, and when I started feeling full stop for at least 15 min to let everything settle. Once I started doing that I have found that I no longer get stuffed nor have to throw up to feel better.......I STILL have to watch when I am realllllllllly hungry, I tend to eat fast.

I had trouble knowing when I was full early out too. But as my stomach healed, it got easier. Now I mostly just know and the only issue is whether I'm going to listen or not.

I'm thinking this started to get a lot better around the 12 week mark. Weeks 7 through 12 were what I refer to as my "pissy period" and constantly taking "one bite too many" and not being able to eat what I considered "reasonable" quantities were a large part of it.