Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Scared of transition to soft food

Hi-

Tomorrow is the day I am supposed to start transitioning to soft food. I'm a little afraid of choking or getting the "soft food" stuck in my stomach. :cursing: My stomach is tiny, tiny. I can only take a few sips before I have to wait a while.

Are there any foods you think I should try first?

The first soft food I tried was mashed potatoes. I felt like I could take tiny bits, swish it around my mouth, and it was more "liquified".

I know one patient down here who bought baby food to make the transition to soft foods.

My best advice would be to just take it super slow.

My advice is to talk to Amy, our NUT. She is AWESOME and she will help you get over your fears and recommend stuff that is consistent with the recommendations of our program.

Thanks for all of the replies.

I did talk to Amy - MacMadam's and my dietician. She suggested scrambled eggs, homemade pureed chicken Soup, Danon Light Yoghurt, and Trader Joe's Greek Yoghurt.

She said its okay to stay on liquids for a while longer too.

Besides not knowing if soft food might get stuck, I am also having diarrhea. (Sorry to mention something unpleasant.) I was partially lactose intolerant before surgery. Amy said this is not uncommon even if you aren't lactose intolerant for the first month after surgery.

About half of the stuff I bought has "milk Protein concentrate" in it which is only 80% milk Protein. The rest is lactose, fat, and other milk stuff. Oh Boy!

"whey protein isolate" is 90% whey protein. In getting to the isolate step they purposely try to remove the lactose and fat. So even though they can't call it lactose free, it has very little. The "whey protein isolate" products would be the Syntrax nectar. Not my favorite, but a couple of flavors are palatable.

I prefer not to go to soy protein because soy protein has a nasty taste to me.

I guess I will try some yoghurt tonight :001_tt2: since the Lactobacillus have taken care of the lactose for me. I can't complain too much: I've lost 19 pounds in 2 weeks!

Best wishes,

Be very careful with the scrambled eggs. That tends to be a problem food for a lot of people.

Diarrhea is definitely an incentive to get off liquids. :001_tt2:

I just <3 Amy. I need to make an appointment to see her when I go for my next follow-up.

hi oregan rose

i tried a scrambled egg last weekend and it really didnt sit well with me. we are all different so i dont want to put you off but just letting you know. i am going to give it a miss for a few more weeks and try again.

donna

Everyone seems to have problems with eggs. I made egg salad and it was easy to eat, but only a few bites at a time. I don't like eggs any other way, so I haven't tried them scrambled. I've heard a lot of people complain they don't do well with them though.

Yogurt does go down easily.

Edited by Oregondaisy

Soft fish is an easy one to eat. Talapia is a white fish and you can cook it til it's really soft in just a little olive oil and put lemon over it and it's really good. It's easy to eat.

I guess I'm weird. I did scrambled eggs on my soft diet almost right away and they went down just fine. They were a staple food for me during that period.

Home made pureed chicken Soup and yogurt sound good to me. Maybe some pureed squash. How about pureed shrimp chowder? That has a nice ring to it. 3oz of shrimp contain 18 gms Protein, 0 carbs, 84 calories, 1 gm fat. HMMM will have to work on a recipe!

I'm going to be more anxious about transitioning to solids, and will probably stay on the mushies a week longer than required just to be sure...once I get to that point, will see how brave I feel.

Not even sleeved yet, but will be soon!