Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

No "complications" forum?

Ok, I'm doing my research for this second surgery. Over at LBT there's a complications forum that formed out of necessity over the years. I -really- want to know the bad possibilities, seeing how I seem to attract that 1-2% chance...

Maybe someone can direct me to some threads? I need to know worst case possibilities.

click on "forums" at the top of the page and scroll down to the complications forum page.

I had complications with my revision. I will have to say that my situation is not common, and my stomach had numerous adhesions and was damaged by the band.

Here's links to my story:

http://verticalsleevetalk.com/tell-your-story/32-not-looking-back.html

http://verticalsleevetalk.com/band-sleeve-revisions/290-home-recovering.html

http://verticalsleevetalk.com/post-operation-vertical-sleeve-gastric-surgery-vsg-questions-answers/861-little-update.html

There's a couple of replies in each thread detailing my entire ordeal.

I was also hospitalized in mid-July due to Fluid pockets that were found in my abdominal cavity. I was hospitalized, drains placed, and rehydrated for 1 week. They concluded that the Fluid pockets developed after the leak repair surgery, and some bacteria stayed in my body. I had the drains in for 3 weeks, and was just released for full activity on August 24th.

My biggest hurdle that I'm struggling with right now is eating. Nothing sounds appetizing, nothing tastes really good when I do eat, and of course, my arch nemesis of Protein powders/drinks. My surgeon wants me to eat 4 small meals a day consisting of at least 15grams of Protein. Problem is eggs, and cheese, deli meat disgusts me now (I ate a lot of it in the beginning) are not working for me right now. I am lucky if I eat twice daily, and I'm not getting anywhere close to 60 grams of protein per day. I just recently ordered new samples, and I have only tried 1, it didn't settle well with me at all. I have another one in the fridge chilling as I type. Hopefully, I can find something that works, I'm finding more hair in the bottom of the tub.

Oh don't feel bad Tiff. I have hair all over the bathroom floor and counter and every time I wash my hair, I lose about 4 handfuls and I had not complications.

You'll do fine Manatee. Just get that stinkin band out. It's the band that causes all these complications.

Tiff,

A couple of suggestions, which you may have already tried, but here goes:

3.5 oz of turkey meat, chicken breast, or lean pork chop contains about 30 grams of Protein. Stir fry which ever of these you like most in a little olive oil and your favorite non-irritating spices so the fragrance is pleasing, to get your tummy juices going. Then (f you are having trouble with solids) try mushing up the meat in the blender with 1/2 cup of fat free milk (which adds another 4 grams of Protein. Or add a cup of milk and make a Soup if warm liquids feel better. It would make enough for about three meals, depending on the size of your sleeve.

Have you ever tried Jay Robb protein whey Protein powder? It is only sweetened with Stevia, and One serving (packet) is 30 grams of protein. You can buy a single dose pack at GNC to try it out. My GNC has only vanilla and chocolate. Online you can get other flavors, or maybe your GNC carries them. I put 1/2 cup of milk and 1/2 tsp of banana extract (or any other flavor you like) in the blender, add 1 packet of Jay Robb chocolate, blend it slow at first to prevent caking on the sides which ends up being wasted. Then blend on high for 15 seconds. I think it is very good, and the flavor extract helps a lot without adding extra bulk. If you even can get only one a day down, in additition to the meat/meat Soup, you have taken in over 60 grams of protein.

Pink salmon is also very protein dense, at 27 gms per 3.5 ounce but fish might not be appealing if your tummy is cantankerous.

I sure hope that you feel better soon.

Tiff,

A couple of suggestions, which you may have already tried, but here goes:

3.5 oz of turkey meat, chicken breast, or lean pork chop contains about 30 grams of Protein. Stir fry which ever of these you like most in a little olive oil and your favorite non-irritating spices so the fragrance is pleasing, to get your tummy juices going. Then (f you are having trouble with solids) try mushing up the meat in the blender with 1/2 cup of fat free milk (which adds another 4 grams of Protein. Or add a cup of milk and make a Soup if warm liquids feel better. It would make enough for about three meals, depending on the size of your sleeve.

Have you ever tried Jay Robb protein whey Protein Powder? It is only sweetened with Stevia, and One serving (packet) is 30 grams of protein. You can buy a single dose pack at GNC to try it out. My GNC has only vanilla and chocolate. Online you can get other flavors, or maybe your GNC carries them. I put 1/2 cup of milk and 1/2 tsp of banana extract (or any other flavor you like) in the blender, add 1 packet of Jay Robb chocolate, blend it slow at first to prevent caking on the sides which ends up being wasted. Then blend on high for 15 seconds. I think it is very good, and the flavor extract helps a lot without adding extra bulk. If you even can get only one a day down, in additition to the meat/meat soup, you have taken in over 60 grams of protein.

Pink salmon is also very protein dense, at 27 gms per 3.5 ounce but fish might not be appealing if your tummy is cantankerous.

I sure hope that you feel better soon.

Thank you.

One of my biggest issue is texture of the Protein drinks. I can't do anything "thick". Can I mix the Jay Robb with Water? I mixed the Chike sample with the 4oz of Water, and it was "slimy" for me. I even let one chill for a couple of hours in the fridge hoping it would go down easier.

Milk and me have never gotten along very well. I can't stand Skim Milk, so I buy 1% for the twice a year that I may drink some milk. Now that I've had surgery that will probably not even happen twice a year considering, I would only drink the milk after dipping Peanut Butter Cookies in it.

I really hate my taste buds right now. My stomach is an entire different story. I can tolerate mexican food fine, I've even had some chinese chow mein noodles, and mac-n-cheese, but I just want to eat the right food, and actually enjoy it.

Tiff have you tried the soy slender? it's very thin like Water and the flavor is not over bearing. It's not in the refrigerated section. It's on the shelf at the grocery store. I like the vanilla and choc both. I don't think they are overly sweet.

Tiffy,

Yes, it can be mixed with Water. You may be lactose intolerant, which makes you not tolerate dairy. Problem is, Whey is a milk Protein. It might help you tolerate these and other milk products if you crush up about 5 small lactaid tablets and mix this with a tablespoon of the liquid you are about to drink. Take this before taking the first drink from the Protein shake. Probiotics daily might also help. I wish you well.

Thank you.

One of my biggest issue is texture of the Protein drinks. I can't do anything "thick". Can I mix the Jay Robb with Water? I mixed the Chike sample with the 4oz of water, and it was "slimy" for me. I even let one chill for a couple of hours in the fridge hoping it would go down easier.

Milk and me have never gotten along very well. I can't stand Skim Milk, so I buy 1% for the twice a year that I may drink some milk. Now that I've had surgery that will probably not even happen twice a year considering, I would only drink the milk after dipping Peanut Butter Cookies in it.

I really hate my taste buds right now. My stomach is an entire different story. I can tolerate mexican food fine, I've even had some chinese chow mein noodles, and mac-n-cheese, but I just want to eat the right food, and actually enjoy it.

tiffykins have you tried clear protien drinks. it has help me a lot one of my fav is resource boost breeze milkly free and it all i will drink. milk is not on my list right now just a thought.

tiffykins have you tried clear protien drinks. it has help me a lot one of my fav is resource boost breeze milkly free and it all i will drink. milk is not on my list right now just a thought.

I've tried a few of the clear Protein drinks.

I'll look up the one you've suggested.

Oh don't feel bad Tiff. I have hair all over the bathroom floor and counter and every time I wash my hair, I lose about 4 handfuls and I had not complications.

You'll do fine Manatee. Just get that stinkin band out. It's the band that causes all these complications.

When did you start losing your hair? I am 3+ months out and haven't had a problem yet. I do lose quite a few strands a day but really no more than usual as I have thick hair. I am wondering if I will get lucky since I have had the high Protein shakes via my feeding tube since my surgery.

When did you start losing your hair? I am 3+ months out and haven't had a problem yet. I do lose quite a few strands a day but really no more than usual as I have thick hair. I am wondering if I will get lucky since I have had the high Protein shakes via my feeding tube since my surgery.

I'm 3 months out, and just started noticing considerable amounts of hair in the shower and in my brush.

I talked to the nurse, and she said considering my complications, and all the stress my body went through, she wouldn't be surprised if I lost hair even if I had been getting in the necessary Protein.

I have super thick, coarse hair so losing some won't be noticeable. My main concern is not being able to get it under control.

I just noticed this past couple of weeks a dramatic change in the amount I am losing.

I had surgery at the end of april.

I started losing mine at 1.5 weeks! (I may have said this before, but the indignity of it still annoys me to this day. :party4:)

You and me both Mac. I used to have such thick hair and it really bothers me that half of it's gone. People say it's not noticeable, but it sure is to me. My pony tail is half the size it used to be, and I can't keep barrettes in my hair at all anymore. They just fall out.