Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

what will i ever be able to eat, and when?

Hi

I am 3 weeks post op and am struggling with the thought that i will ever be able to eat normally ever again! I still only manage a few spoonfuls every meal, and can manage 2 meals, 1 fromage frais and 2 glasses milk along with 2 glasses juice. Some times i can't even manage that. Everyone else around me eats normally,and i am starting to think that i will never be able to eat normal food again. I am so scared of being sick, have only done it once and am trying my best to not do it again!

I would really appreciate it if someone who has been post op for 6 months + could shed some light on what they eat normally in the day now. Thanks so much:thumbup1:

I think that all depends on what you consider eating normally. You will be able to eat a bit more, perhaps 50% more than you do now, at about 1 yr out but you may never be able to eat what you were able to eat before or what others eat now. You may have to grieve your loss of the ability to take more than a few bites of that favorite food. I know I have had to. I am a foodie, that was my drug of choice. I loved food and the more I like a food, the more I wanted to taste it...over and over and over....well you get my drift here. I was aware of why and how I became overweight and volume was the biggest part of it, hence I felt the sleeve was the best answer for me. It keeps my volume eating to a nill and I am happy that it does. Sometimes a little too well but thats an acceptance issue.

Hi Tandy, I am almost 4 months post surgery. Very very few people know about my WLS. I now can go out and most times can eat without my lack of food that I eat being noticed by others. I can eat 1/2 sandwich, or if Mexican I allow myself 5 chips & salsa and then I can eat either 1 taco or 1 enchalida usually. I fill the time while I am eating slowly etc and others are eating TONS of food with conversation and just dinkin around and watching people and just enjoying the conversation.

When at home I weigh out and put 2-3 oz of solid proteion my plate and then have maybe 1/2 cup of steamed veggies. I am "full" at that time.

I have felt sad/mourned the lack of being able to eat but then I know I made the right decision with WLS and I move on. This is a learning process. It takes concentrated effort to move through this learning process. It is so worth it tho. I am so happy I have done this. The results are amazing.

This first month is the hardest but it will get easier and feel more normal as your progress through the learning curve. Good luck.

Edited by carolnphx

Thanks so much for taking the time to give your advice. I think that I worry that i am going to have to eat soft puree/liquid type stuff forever :biggrin0:

I hoped that eventually i would be able to eat normal foods again and i know that i only have to eat small portions. One piece of pizza or one 1/2 sandwich would be great! i'm not after miracles as i know that this is forever, and i suppose i just wanted someone to say that i would be able to eat normal foods eventually, so again, thank you.

I can eat one small piece of pizza if it's thin crust. Then I usually pick at the toppings of another piece and i am usually sorry because then I am too full.

Hi

I am 3 weeks post op and am struggling with the thought that i will ever be able to eat normally ever again! Everyone else around me eats normally,and i am starting to think that i will never be able to eat normal food again.

GOOD GOD do I understand what your saying~

I wonder the same things and I was sleeved on 7/11. I get so tired of that icky feeling after I eat. OR the indigestion feeling. I hate this part of it. CANT wait till I can eat something and not feel shitty. From everyone I hear from it takes 5-6 months well I am impatient.....oh well will wait nothing else I can do....LOL

Until then you can keep giving your extra to the homeless. You did your good deed that day!

I'm in week 3 and absolutely having to grieve and change my relationship with food. It has been such a comfort over the years and that behavior isn't going to go away over night....I'm having to find other ways to cope which takes some effort and thinking differently...knowing what to do and doing it is one of the biggest challenges. I just want to get past it and because I"m so focused 24/7 it's hard...:001_wub:

I am so jumping into my relationship with God right now to help me through this...

by the way, went to costco and bought these two small seedless watermelons...how delicious! Cut about 1 cup and nibbled while watching TV and it's something different.

We'll get there together okay?:thumbup1:

sounds like you are doing all the right things for yourself and YES we will get through this together. Keep the faith.