Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

OK, those who are a lot farther out than I am:

I am still unbelievably tired. I am 11 days out from surgery, but today I got up at 7, napped from 8-11, napped again from 2:15 until 4, and could still just go and curl up and sleep more. Is this normal? If so, how long will it last? I even went for a 1.5 mile 30 minute walk this evening and was yawning on the way home! I so hope this will pass soon.

It's kind of normal, but it's also exacerbated by not getting in enough fluids and/or Protein. How are you doing in those areas?

Bob, I found I had very little energy and was constantly tired until I was able to move to mushies. As long as you are getting your Protein and Water in, I think you will notice a significant change once you move to mushies.

That has been one of my biggest complaints since surgery -- I used to stay up until 11 or midnight and be up at 5:30-6. Following surgery, I was lucky to be able to make it until 9:30 and couldn't drag my butt out of bed at 6 or even 6:30. The last couple of weeks, since I started taking Vitamins, I find I have much more energy and can make it until 10:30 or 11 ... it may be a coincidence with the vitamins in that my spasming has been improving and I am able to get in more food - i.e., more Protein -- so it may be a combination of the two. Anyway, you're lucky you can sleep when you want -- so take advantage of it and when your body is ready, it will need less sleep. (BTW - I am 2 months out from surgery)

My husband (16 days out) has complained of fatigue too. His nurse practiitioner suggested trying to get in more Protein & little more B-12. I have heard quite a few sleevers say that they were tired early on.

I found I had more energy after about two weeks. I had a certain kind of energy the first two weeks, but I also got tired more easily whenever I tried to do anything. My first two days back at work, I was a zombie. But I also was back in the gym doing cardio at two weeks. I had more energy for physical stuff than for mental.

I did take more naps the first month, but I wasn't sleeping nearly as much as you guys. I don't know if it's because I wasn't on Clear Liquids at the start but went right to "thin" liquids or if it's just an individual difference.

I think the main thing is that you should gradually be getting better. If you aren't, you need to work with your surgeon and/or PCP to find out why and not just accept it as "the way things are."

I'm on day 9 and still walking around sluggish. I don't have a lot of energy and it feels like I'm dragging myself to go do stuff, and I can't walk fast. I figured it's just the low calories I'm taking in even though I'm getting enough Protein and fluids. It's still not enough calories for calisthenics, ya know. I do not take naps though or I wouldn't sleep at night and that's most important to me, to sleep at night.

I'm on day 9 and still walking around sluggish. I don't have a lot of energy and it feels like I'm dragging myself to go do stuff, and I can't walk fast. I figured it's just the low calories I'm taking in even though I'm getting enough Protein and fluids. It's still not enough calories for calisthenics, ya know. I do not take naps though or I wouldn't sleep at night and that's most important to me, to sleep at night.

I didn't have any energy for several weeks after surgery -- once I got home from work and sat down, it was a fight to keep my eyes opened -- forget about doing anything that took any energy -- I used to stay up until 11 or midnight and get up at 5:30, up until just a few weeks ago, I was lucky to still be awake at 9:30 and couldn't drag my butt out of bed at 6:00. It's getting better now that I am taking Vitamins and able to get in more protein. Hang in there, this too shall pass.

BOBO---

I also had no energy for about two to three weeks after surgery. NO matter what I did, drank, took I was very lathargic. Do not know why. I am now 40 days out and FEELING great. Must be something to do with the body healing itself. HANG IN THERE...It is a bugger not having any energy, NOT even for good ole fashion sex. Let alone work.

BOBO---

I also had no energy for about two to three weeks after surgery. NO matter what I did, drank, took I was very lathargic. Do not know why. I am now 40 days out and FEELING great. Must be something to do with the body healing itself. HANG IN THERE...It is a bugger not having any energy, NOT even for good ole fashion sex. Let alone work.

And for Bearded not to have energy for sex you KNOW he's either really tired or really sick!:001_rolleyes:

AJW:

38 lbs in 2 weeks? WOW, YOU GO GIRL!

I'd be tired too with that rapid a loss!

No, 38 pounds total. I started on Medifast on 5/26/09; I'm 12 pounds down since surgery, or 1 pound a day.

AJW:

38 lbs in 2 weeks? WOW, YOU GO GIRL!

I'd be tired too with that rapid a loss!

Gotcha! I hope I do as well when I have my VSG. The fatigue will pass from what I hear others say on this forum. The discomforts will all be forgotten in the light of the NEW YOU as you achieve your goal. :smile:

No, 38 pounds total. I started on Medifast on 5/26/09; I'm 12 pounds down since surgery, or 1 pound a day.

What's involved in the medifast diet AJW?