Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

OTC Drugs which are ok for sleeve and which are NOT

Maybe the ones that require you to take them on a full stomach?

That's why I opted for a penicillin shot the other day.

Not sure either. With my husband, we are about to find out. He is going to call his nurse practitioner (surgeon's nurse practitioner) to find out about his decongestant for sinuses. Obviously, right now it has to be crushable or a capsule that can be opened.

The only one I know for sure they have approved is Tylenol. It is my understanding that eventually with the sleeve, you can also take NSAIDS like Advil thought there may be restriction on that till healing has taken place.

We have a fully functional stomach so anything we could take before, we can take now. IOW, if it was a problem before, it will be a problem now.

Some docs want you to steer clear of NSAIDs until your tummy is more healed. Some docs hate NSAIDs and will tell you not to take them with a sleeve because they are "hard on your stomach" but, if you are not bothered by them, and lots of people aren't, then there is no medical reason why a sleeve would preclude them.

We have a fully functional stomach so anything we could take before, we can take now. IOW, if it was a problem before, it will be a problem now.

Some docs want you to steer clear of NSAIDs until your tummy is more healed. Some docs hate NSAIDs and will tell you not to take them with a sleeve because they are "hard on your stomach" but, if you are not bothered by them, and lots of people aren't, then there is no medical reason why a sleeve would preclude them.

Yeah, that's pretty much what I've understood about the NSAIDS too. Obviously, NSAIDS are generally hard on the stomach for anyone, not just bariatric surgery patients. But some people feel their situation is such that they must have some. I understand that some people have even chosen the sleeve over the RNY because for bypass patients NSAIDS are totally forbidden.

I agree on this one. My doctor told me to steer clear of the NSAIDS for several months since they do irritate the stomach lining (after my knee surgery I am an ibuprofen junkie). He told me after 3 months I could take it again if I needed it and could tolerate it. Other than that, if you could take it without problems before surgery, you can take it once your stomach is heeled.

I never had to crush pills or have the chewable kind. I stared on the nexium the day after I got home, and I was back on my other meds too. My doctor's list of allowed meds are:

Antibiotics

Cold medicine(like sudafed)

Robitussin cough Syrup

Cough drops

Tylenol

Aspirin free excedrin

There is seems to be a lot of opinions out there. My doctor said:

No NSAIDS (ever, period, no discussion)

No Birth Control Pills

For the first 3 months all pills have to be crushed or you can't take them.

He said to talk to pharmacy about what can be crushed and what can't be. If I need antibiotics a suspension needs to be taken.

I should ask if there is a liquid version of all medications for life.

Liquid is always preferable to pill form. Capsules that can be opened are next best.

I should look for alcohol free syrups. I should avoid alcohol. Under no circumstances should I drink on a daily basis (I don't even drink so I don't care about it)

I think my doctor is Dr. Strict. :ohmy:

I would ask him why.... RnYers can't take NSAIDs because it increases the risk of ulcers and they have a blind stomach that can't be scoped so getting an ulcer in it would be bad. Plus the new connections between the pouch and the intestine are prone to ulcers. That is not the case for us. Our chance of getting ulcers actually goes down because there is less stomach tissue.

As for crushing your pills for 3 months.... if you can eat a chicken breast or handful of nuts, why can't you swallow a pill? Once your staple line has healed, there is no reason not to take pills.< /p>

And so forth and so on.... :ohmy:

I take these big horse pill size Vitamins that I get from womentowomen.com. These are to help me wean off HRT. I talked to the health coach at w2w and she said they could be crushed and then put in the smallest quantity of food and eaten, like applesauce for example. But what do I do before I'm allowed applesauce mushy foods? IDK.

You could cut them up and take the pieces with Water. But not taking Vitamins for a few weeks isn't going to hurt too much. Our program has you do liquid or chewable vitamins during this time. That works too.

These aren't just normal Vitamins. They are pharmaceutical grade specially formatted to reduce the symptoms of weaning off HRT, so don't think I'm gonna find Gummy bear vits in the same class, kwim?! But thanks for the suggestion.

You could cut them up and take the pieces with Water. But not taking Vitamins for a few weeks isn't going to hurt too much. Our program has you do liquid or chewable vitamins during this time. That works too.

If they can be crushed, you can put them in a small amount of Water and down them that way. It's not always real pleasant (taste wise) but it can be done if necessary. You can put them in a medicine type tiny cup. Put the water in first and the med kinda floats on top.

I found this on Dr Aceves board.....

DRUGS THAT CAN DAMAGE THE POUCH:

Advil,Aleve,Amigesic,Anacin,Anaprox,Ansald,

Anthra,GArthropan,Ascriptin,Aspirin,Asproject,Azolid,Bextra,

Bufferin,Butazolidin,Celebrex,Clinorial,Darvon compounds,Disalcid,Dolobid,Erythromycin,Equagesic,

Feldene,Fiorinal,Ibuprofin,Indocin,Ketoprofen,Lodine,

Meclomen,Midol,Motrin,Nalfon,Naprosyn,

Nayer,Orudis,Oruval,PamprinIB,Percodan,Ponstel,

Rexolate,Tandearil,Tetracycline,Tolecin,Uracel,Vioxx (off market...not safe for anyone)Voltaren,ALL "NSAIDS" (*see below for the Cox 2 Inhibitors)

DRUGS THAT ARE CONSIDERED SAFE:

Bendaryl,Tylenol,Dimetap,Robitussin,Safetussin,

Sudafed,Triaminics,(All)Tylenol,(cold products)Tylenol,Ex Strength,

Gas-X,Phazyme,modium,AdColace, lcolax-Suppositories,Fleet Enema,Glycerin-Suppositories,Milk of Magnesia,Peri-Colace

This looks like a pretty good list of good and bad...can anyone add to it?

Edited by BeardedItalian48