Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey...another newbie here!

Glad to hear that it well Jeff! I just got sleeved this last Tuesday, the 13th. Came home on Thursday and have been doing pretty good, but I still have the stupid drainage bag! :cursing: My doctor wants to wait until Tuesday to take it out! You know how annoying that is... Other than that I'm doing good. I'm amazed that they are allowing you to eat all that stuff so soon! I'm on Clear liquids and chicken broth for 2 weeks... :)

Glad to hear your surgery went well, but that is a tough break on the drainage bag! I was so happy to get it out as quickly as I did! The day after it was out I felt almost as good as I did before the surgery. I still had tightness in the incisions, but that has completely subsided now.

I've noticed that I can walk further and stand longer now that I have dropped around 70lbs.

I will say that pureed chili, egg beaters with some ricotta cheese, and a few other pureed items really have hit the spot. I'm also thankful for the sugar-free popsicles as they seem to be satisfying than drinking water/crystal light because of the sipping. That is one thing I hope gets better over time...being able to take a couple nice gulps of liquids at the very least. I could care less about the food, but I really miss the ability to gulp/chug.

Welcome Jeff! You've come to the right place, we are here for you any time you need us. . . we'll pray with you, cry with you, rejoice with you, and Celebrate every winning inch of your journey. . . I've not been sleeved yet but will be in January. . . I've been battling with weight all my life too and have had my share of displeasures. . . but that will all soon change and I, like you, will metamorph into something great and together we will all win the battle and not have to suffer this monster anymore!

Thank you for that wonderful statement. I look forward to seeing your progression come January.

Hi Jeff,

So glad to hear from you. I did check the Ontario board on OH so saw the note from your Mom. I'm sure that once you get home you will start to get into your own routine. Will the press be doing an article on your trip home?

Be sure and let us know how you are doing. Take Care,

Nancy

That note on the OH board was me. I was on the computer much sooner than I thought I would be. I do believe that it was a few hours post-op when I made the post, lol. I still feel some guilt for neglecting my VST thread though and the lovely ladies who have given me words of encouragement, etc.

I am glad your mother is there for you.

I honestly think she had to be bored. Wasn't much to do when all I could do was sit in my hospital room day in and day out. At least the one Sunday when the Tai-Chi lady came by and had me doing finger exercises she got a good laugh.

Thanks for posting Jeff, I was wondering just yesterday how you were doing and how the surgery had gone. So glad to hear that it went well and you're on the road to recovery and HOME ... you will feel so much better once in your own house/bed. Stay away from those mashed potatoes and gravy though - lots of calories/carbs ... stick with something higher in Protein and low in carbs! Keep us posted on your progress!

I actually mixed beneprotein into the mashed potatoes so it did give me some Protein (15g), but I won't be having them on a regular basis. At the moment I have had chili for a couple meals and it didn't cause any discomfort, tasted great and with the added protein it was around 24g of protein. Tomorrow I am going to have some egg beaters and ricotta cheese for something different in the morning.

Jeff, thank you so much for updating us on how things are going. I am glad surgery went well, and it sounds like you are well on the road to recovery. You are going to get cranky at times, we all did during the liquids stage. It is just part of the process. Once you move on to more solid food, you will feel a lot better and those feelings of regret will also pass.

Keep on keeping on, you are doing wonderfully and we are all here cheering you on!

Seems like the cranky feelings have subsided...for the time being anyway. So that is something good, lol.

That is great Jeff. You know the pissy moods are a part of giving up an addiction. It will get better I promise. Don't take it out on poor mom!

My mom knows I wasn't really taking it out on her. The silent treatment was about the only way I could peacefully protest my dislike of the diet plan the hospital had me on. Their Soups were atrocious, and after my mom spoke with the nurses and the dietitian a few things changed, but it is hard being at a facility for a lengthy period of time and being the first patient to go through this experience. At least my misery will be used to help future patients.

Congrats Jeff! I am actually waiting for Dr. Schauer's office to call me this week to schedule my sleeve!

My how time does fly by (when you're having fun?)...

My apologies for not posting (I say this too many times). I lose track of time, which is something I have to continually work on to avoid.

Well I suppose the biggest news aside from my progress with the surgery is that I moved today (Wednesday). Decided that I needed a change of scenery and luckily a 1 bedroom opened up in a co-op building next to the building a friend of mine lives in. I'm happy to get out of my old bachelor as I now have ore space, parquet flooring that is not coming up, and no ANTS!

Haven't unpacked much as I was too tired today. Pretty much just my computer and my television, plus my bed was setup at this point. Tomorrow I might tackle a few boxes to unpack. I am not in a huge rush, lol.

Now as far as my sleeve, I'll say thus far it has been a success. My only complaint is that I get heartburn several times a day. I've been told that some people get this and that it should dissipate within 6 months. Some others have said it might be an ulcer. If it were an ulcer I would suspect it would be in the duodenum area as the symptoms of an ulcer there seem to fit what I have noticed (the heartburn subsides when I eat or drink something).

Haven't been on the scale in about a week, but last I saw I was down just over 100lbs. I have reverted from the diet into some old habits now that the weather has become more drab and dreary...I was packing in the carbs over the Protein. I still lost weight due to the inability to eat a vast amount of calories, but I know the weight loss was slightly hindered. I'm back on track now.

And I have to make note that my problem with sipping is GONE! I can take a few mouthfuls on an empty stomach without any discomfort! This has made me very happy because I am left feeling more satisfied. If/when the heartburn problem is gone I think I will be ecstatic.

Walking has greatly improved. I am working on building up the stamina at the moment and it is coming along quite nicely. With the snows arrival my time outdoors will be limited so I'll be looking to indoor alternatives. I've only been heading out to the movies for something to do once a week. Planning to go see a couple more on Friday or Saturday (weather permitting).

Anyway just wanted to give a little update on me. Look for me to be a more regular voice on the board.

Cheers!

P.S. Merry Christmas, Happy Chanukkah, and Happy Holidays!

Are you on an acid reducer? Most of the surgeons put us all on an acid reducer for at least 6 months.

So glad to see your post. I was wondering about how you were doing. Congrats on the 100 lbs lost forever! For exercize in the snow, go shovel a walk. hahaha anyway, glad you are doing so well, and back posting.

Merry Christmas.

Are you on an acid reducer? Most of the surgeons put us all on an acid reducer for at least 6 months.

I am on some pepcid pill, but I don't think it is working as intended. I've submitted an email to someone in Cleveland to see what they suggest and then I'll go get a prescription from my family doctor.

I'm wondering if perhaps a proton pump inhibitor might be the best option.

So glad to see your post. I was wondering about how you were doing. Congrats on the 100 lbs lost forever! For exercize in the snow, go shovel a walk. hahaha anyway, glad you are doing so well, and back posting.

Merry Christmas.

Thankfully I live in an apartment so no shoveling for me! lol

I'm going to see where the YMCA is in proximity to my new place and perhaps try and get there a couple times a week for swimming.

Glad to see you posting your progress ! ! ! Congrats on your results thus far.

Thanks. I'm aiming for 600lbs or lower by my birthday at the end of January. Only about 30lbs to go so I feel quite confident that it shall be obtained. This was the goal I made prior to the surgery. So far so good.

I'm wondering if perhaps a proton pump inhibitor might be the best option.

That's what I take.I take the generic of Protonix and it works great. I never have acid heartburn or any symptoms of anything like that.It's really cheap too, that's the best part!

Hi Jeff,

I was so happy to see your post and find out how you are doing. Congrats on your weight lost so far - that is AWESOME!!

I haven't been on much as things have been changing for me at home. My husband accepted a promotion in Ottawa, we have put our house up for sale, and I have begun working in a new job (from PEI) in Ottawa. I have been here for 2 weeks learning about the job.

I am still hoping I might hear from the hospital in Halifax before I move at the end of June (my oldest graduates from High School so we won't come before then) - but I'm not optimistic. That means I will need to start from scratch again in Ottawa. Find a Dr., go through the hoops, etc.

I have metal "cleats" that I can put on my boots so that it isn't slippery when I walk outside. They are something "traks" - I think I got them at Shoppers.

Take care and keep us posted.

Nancy

Hi Jeff,

You have found a wonderful place to come for support. I'm so excited for you. At 24 you will have a completely different long and lovely life. I am one month post op and my life is changing daily.. the ability to reach for things you never realized you shut down in your brain long ago starts to come back out... things start to seem possible and I am so excited for you!! WECOME WELCOME.. can't wait to hear more of your story as it progresses.

~Chandra/shutterbug

Jeff, I was wondering how you are doing. Hopefully you are doing great!