Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

NewOrleansLady Good Luck tomorrow!

Guest Nevergoback@LBT
Sign in to follow this  

Guest Nevergoback@LBT

The day before your surgery. You must be excited and scared at the same time, I was. Anyway, you won't believe how fast a week goes by, tomorrow will be my one week post op and it flew by. My experience was that every day was exponentially better than the day before. It is amazing, best wishes to you.

Originally posted at www.lapbandtalk.com

Guest Nevergoback@LBT

I forgot to remind you of the three things I wish someone had told me to do:

Bring something with you to moisturize your sinuses, eye dropper or sprayer. You are going to be dry after surgery. I suffer from seasonal allergies and my head was like a ball of cotton.

When they get you ready to take the dye test (nyquil-like) ask them about being able to wash your mouth out immediately after. If that means carrying a cup of Water with you, then ask for that and just spit back into the same cup. The stuff is not that bad, like I said it is like nyquil, and being able to rinse your mouth will be a godsend.

When they bring your first tray of liquids, sip the Water first...go slow. The medical assistant brought me medicine cups to sip from, so I wouldn't unconsciously take too much. That was very thoughtful of her.

Ok, that's it. Anyone else?

Guest neworleanslady@LBT

Thanks so much for your support. I feel better knowing how well you are doing. My doc didn't mention anything about a dye test. But we don't have the best communication between his office and myself. I thought I was going home the same day until last week. Now I know it will be one night. Have you tried coffee yet? I know that is one thing I will really miss. Keep up the good work.

Guest Nevergoback@LBT

My first morning home (Friday)I tried some coffee, but we didn't have Decaf and I really didn't want to finish it, so I only had a couple of sips. But now I have my cup of decaf for the morning drive to the office with no problems.

Let us know how you are doing.

Guest neworleanslady@LBT

Surgery was Wednesday and it went well. But I am struggling with nausea and vomiting. I have only been able to keep down a few ounces of liquid a day. I finally got my Dr office to call me in some phenergan but I vomited about 10 minutes after I took it. The Medical Assistant tells my I don't need phenergan just take Reglan, Symax, and Prilosec and I will be fine. I am ready to strangle her. It defeats the purpose of taking these meds if I just vomit shortly after taking them. I am hoping today will be better. I definitely don't want to end up back in the hospital with dehydration. Any tips would be greatly appreciated since my Dr's office is not very helpful.

Guest MacMadame@LBT

Have they given you any of those meds in liquid form? You might not vomit those.

Also, ask if they think your stomach is spasming when you take the pills. If it is, there is medicine that you can take to help with that and that will let you take the other pills.< /p>

Guest neworleanslady@LBT

Doing much better now. It is day now day 5 and I am feeling good and hungry. I am moving slightly ahead of the guidelines and progressing to some full liquids. I think I was feeling so bad b/c I wasn't having any calories. You know when you go all day without eating and you feel nauseous and get a headache? That was me. So I had half of a SF pudding and half can of potato Soup thinned with broth and put in a food processor. Does this sound okay to be progressing at this time? I know I felt so much better afterward.

Guest neworleanslady@LBT

Hi Nevergoback,

Haven't heard from you in a while. How are things going? How is your weightloss? Are you tolerating any solid foods? Are you hungry or satisfied most of the time? Just your overall well being?

Guest Nevergoback@LBT

Sorry, I have not been able to get on the forum for some reason. I am doing great. And yes, I was on full liquids after day 2 and it makes it much more tolerable. I don't think you are doing anything wrong, just make sure the consistency of what you have is liquid enough to sip through a straw (without the straw, they are not allowed.) Tomorrow marks two weeks and I believe I have lost 10 pounds. I didn't weigh on my home scale before I went in, so I could be a pound or two off. I don't care, I tried on a pair of pants today that are a half size smaller and they fit. I've been wearing 18 - 1/2W and almost breaking out of them, but the 18 misses now fits (remember I was a revision and had not gained all my weight back from the band.) I kept all my small clothes in anticipation of this surgery. I have not had a problem with nauseau, but certain smells will set me off. I had to tell my coworker her perfume was making me ill. She does apply too heavily, I will have to teach her how to properly apply perfume.

Today, I tried to eat a half cup of cottage cheese which I finished in about 30 minutes. I should have taken it a little slower, because I felt like I could toss it. Luckily, we have a jogging path around a lake at work, so I got up and did two laps which helped.

I'm glad you are over your nausea, there is nothing worse.

Friday is two weeks and I can start pureed foods, also it is my followup day with the doctor. So far, so good. I am very happy in the way my new stomach lets me know when I have had enough. With the band, you get a terrible pain in the middle of your chest, I have not experienced that with the sleeve (although I am not on solids, so we will see.)

Guest neworleanslady@LBT

It is great to hear how wonderful you are doing. I have been having trouble logging on lately to this site in the last couple of days. Don't know what that is about. So what are you eating? Broths just are doing it for me. I don't know why but I am hungry shortly after eating. And I don't need to eat a meal over 30 minutes. I usually just have thinned potato Soup and eat it normally without any problem. I hope that is not a bad sign. When will you progress to more solid foods? I hope once I start solids I will be more full and stay full longer but I think I have a few more weeks to go. Keep up the good work and congrats on your weight loss! Yeh!!!

Guest MacMadame@LBT

When you are on liquids, it's hard to stay full and a lot of people report being hungry. It may be the liquids or it may be excess ghrelin still making your way out of your system.

But it's really common.

Guest WASaBubbleButt@LBT

Doing much better now. It is day now day 5 and I am feeling good and hungry. I am moving slightly ahead of the guidelines and progressing to some full liquids. I think I was feeling so bad b/c I wasn't having any calories. You know when you go all day without eating and you feel nauseous and get a headache? That was me. So I had half of a SF pudding and half can of potato Soup thinned with broth and put in a food processor. Does this sound okay to be progressing at this time? I know I felt so much better afterward.

You know... thing is this...

If you cheat with the post op diet with the band you risk your band down the road. If you cheat with the post op diet with the sleeve you risk you life.

Your choice.

You have no Ghrelin, your hunger is head hunger and not stomach hunger. No excuse. I would have felt (mentally) much better too, glad I didn't cheat.

No, it does not sound good to cheat. Not even a little.

Go back to doctor's orders. Now.

Guest WASaBubbleButt@LBT

When you are on liquids, it's hard to stay full and a lot of people report being hungry. It may be the liquids or it may be excess ghrelin still making your way out of your system.

But it's really common.

Not really.

If you look at the half life of Ghrelin there isn't any after about day #2. It's head hunger.

Head hunger is hard but not life threatening. Bumping up the diet can be life threatening.