Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My Journey...Insight?

Guest 2nd chance@LBT
Sign in to follow this  

Guest 2nd chance@LBT

Hi Ladies & Gents,

I have an update for you. Today, I visited my doctor and received a good recovery report ( I had to have emergency surgery to have my lap band removed due to slippage & a 20 month ordeal of unsucessful fills & unfills--I could never go longer than 3 wks without having to get an unfill--it would have been 2 yrs in December since lap band implant).

Additionally, we began the process to submit for approval for a revisional wls to my insurance company. Wish me well! I decided upon vertical sleeve gastrectomy. We discussed all of my questions about his protocol with the procedure & I am convicted in this decision as being the next best option for me. He stated that we should anticipate about 1 month for the approval process and that I should begin to decide if I would like to have the wls before or after the holidays. I immediately announced before the holidays...I need to finish this weight loss journey ASAP and I cant have it to negatively impact my dissertation timeline. With the lapband, I lost 33 pounds prior to fill 1 and then lost 14 pounds thereafter. I love those results, but still aspire to drop another 30/40 pounds.

I have to say I am a lil bit nervous in considering this new wls attempt...why? Because in this time that I have been in recovery, I only eat as much as I could with the band. I have not exercised, but for the most part have maintained my weight. I am afraid that what if the problem is not Portion Control and something else. I am not an emotional eater; however, my friends say that I unknowingly starve myself to death.:smile:..to me I just dont really have an appetite or think about eating some days...yes, bad! I know. Any insight or words of wisdom?:confused:

Originally posted at www.lapbandtalk.com

Guest MacMadame@LBT

however, my friends say that I unknowingly starve myself to death.:smile:..to me I just dont really have an appetite or think about eating some days...yes, bad! I know. Any insight or words of wisdom?:confused:

Have your friends had WLS? Because to someone who hasn't, the amount of food we eat does seem small, especially if they are overweight themselves and used to eating huge portions.

If you were continuing to lose, they might have a point, but you are maintaining, which means your total calories are about right. Now maybe you could be eating healthier -- going long times without food is bad for your blood sugar and insulin levels -- but you clearly aren't starving yourself at all, let alone to death if you are maintaining.

Guest WASaBubbleButt@LBT

Hi Ladies & Gents,

I have an update for you. Today, I visited my doctor and received a good recovery report ( I had to have emergency surgery to have my lap band removed due to slippage & a 20 month ordeal of unsucessful fills & unfills--I could never go longer than 3 wks without having to get an unfill--it would have been 2 yrs in December since lap band implant).

Additionally, we began the process to submit for approval for a revisional wls to my insurance company. Wish me well! I decided upon vertical sleeve gastrectomy. We discussed all of my questions about his protocol with the procedure & I am convicted in this decision as being the next best option for me. He stated that we should anticipate about 1 month for the approval process and that I should begin to decide if I would like to have the wls before or after the holidays. I immediately announced before the holidays...I need to finish this weight loss journey ASAP and I cant have it to negatively impact my dissertation timeline. With the lapband, I lost 33 pounds prior to fill 1 and then lost 14 pounds thereafter. I love those results, but still aspire to drop another 30/40 pounds.

I have to say I am a lil bit nervous in considering this new wls attempt...why? Because in this time that I have been in recovery, I only eat as much as I could with the band. I have not exercised, but for the most part have maintained my weight. I am afraid that what if the problem is not Portion Control and something else. I am not an emotional eater; however, my friends say that I unknowingly starve myself to death.:smile:..to me I just dont really have an appetite or think about eating some days...yes, bad! I know. Any insight or words of wisdom?:confused:

Wow, except for the slip your story sounds just like mine. I was banded 12/06, never tolerated fills, had so many fills and unfills I knew the radiology staff well. ;o) Had my band removed in June, revised to a sleeve at the same time and I'm here to tell you that the sleeve is FANTASTIC! OMG I love the sleeve! MUCH easier than banding!

Guest nursinggal@LBT

OMG. I remember you. I talked to you a while back on here. I am so fed up with my band. I finally had all of my Fluid removed because of the same issues. I am ready to convert to the gastric sleeve. I am hearing good things about it. Personally, I despise the lap band and regret it!

Guest WASaBubbleButt@LBT

OMG. I remember you. I talked to you a while back on here. I am so fed up with my band. I finally had all of my Fluid removed because of the same issues. I am ready to convert to the gastric sleeve. I am hearing good things about it. Personally, I despise the lap band and regret it!

The sleeve is a thousand times easier than the band. You know, the first time I ever ate solids with a sleeve I was shocked, I thought, "DAMN! So this is what restriction feels like!" No barfing, stoma spewing, gagging, getting stuck, sliming, foaming, none of it.

I'm noticing on the boards that band to sleeve folks don't have much of a learning curve. Newbies are shocked that I've had food issues and I realized it is because I already did the learning curve with the band.

Get a sleeve, it's so much easier. Does your insurance cover revisions? If so, really document all the issues you have had. Take time to think through esophageal problems. Do you have any? Banding is pretty rough on your esophagus, I'm still having problems but without the band it is getting better.

Esophageal problems would be a good reason for ins to pay for a revision if WLS is covered.

Guest 2nd chance@LBT

The sleeve is a thousand times easier than the band. You know, the first time I ever ate solids with a sleeve I was shocked, I thought, "DAMN! So this is what restriction feels like!" No barfing, stoma spewing, gagging, getting stuck, sliming, foaming, none of it.

I'm noticing on the boards that band to sleeve folks don't have much of a learning curve. Newbies are shocked that I've had food issues and I realized it is because I already did the learning curve with the band.

Get a sleeve, it's so much easier. Does your insurance cover revisions? If so, really document all the issues you have had. Take time to think through esophageal problems. Do you have any? Banding is pretty rough on your esophagus, I'm still having problems but without the band it is getting better.

Esophageal problems would be a good reason for ins to pay for a revision if WLS is covered.

My insurance will cover wls/revisional as long as it is medically necessary. So I am really eager to see the letter developed by my wls surgeon to be sent to my PCP for approval. I did not/do not have any esophageal problems resultant of the band. During the experience, I would have esophageal spasms, not much vomitting, dehydration. My band slipped and because of my progessive pattern of non-productivity/efficiency on the behalf of the band & its ultimate impact on my quality of life--I requested band removal! Prayerfully, I can proceed toward the next step...vertical sleeve gastrectomy.

Guest WASaBubbleButt@LBT

My insurance will cover wls/revisional as long as it is medically necessary. So I am really eager to see the letter developed by my wls surgeon to be sent to my PCP for approval. I did not/do not have any esophageal problems resultant of the band. During the experience, I would have esophageal spasms, not much vomitting, dehydration. My band slipped and because of my progessive pattern of non-productivity/efficiency on the behalf of the band & its ultimate impact on my quality of life--I requested band removal! Prayerfully, I can proceed toward the next step...vertical sleeve gastrectomy.

Please, PM me and I'll come up with ways to help you draft that letter for your ins co. With the help of an ins guru and my medical knowledge of the band, we can't lose. ;o) I won't have it. LOL

Seriously, between me and an ins guru from another board we can help.

If you have WLS benefits, you should qualify for a revision and honestly, a sleeve just freak'en rocks! I love my sleeve, it is wonderful and sooo much easier. If I had it all to do over again it would be a sleeve the first time, no doubt about it.