Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm Revising from Band to a Sleeve

Guest 4meonly@LBT
Sign in to follow this  

Guest 4meonly@LBT

Hi, I've been reading the sleeve threads for awhile now. I've enjoyed reading about the experiences of all of you.

I have a date for my revision. I will get my sleeve on October 20th. I will be going to Mexico and having it done by Dr. Aceves. I have been very pleased with the personal attention given me by Nina the Patient Coordinator.

I got the band in March of 2006. I have had great success! I went down from 200 lbs to 125 lbs (low of 115 lbs). My problem is similar to WASaBubblebutt. I am currently on 3 weeks of liquids in order for the doctor to do everything at the same time. He wants to make sure I don't have a slip or any swelling at the time of surgery.

I would love to hear from others who have used Dr. Aceves. I'd especially like to hear from those who have been revised from band to sleeve. (But, would love to hear the experiences of anyone who has gotten a sleeve.) What was the surgery like? Pain? Drains? Time in surgery? What you ate after surgery? Did you fear a leak? Nina says that they have never had a patient with a leak. That's reassuring. I have so many questions!!

We will be driving from the Seattle area to Mexico. We will stop every hour on the return so I can walk around. What do you think of this? Will it be too uncomfortable?

Soon to be a sleeved sister, :smile2:

Cheryl

Originally posted at www.lapbandtalk.com

Guest MacMadame@LBT

I just got sleeved last week.

I was in moderate pain. I believe very strongly in taking pain killers though. If you don't take them, your pain keeps you from recovering as fast and from moving around. So I went nuts with the morphine in the hospital. It made me loopy but I felt like I hadn't even had surgery.

I had no drains. I was a little afraid of a leak, but someone on another board died of a blood clot while I was in the hospital and that freak me out more. I had a PE once before it was not pretty. So I have been moving, moving, moving and drinking, drinking, drinking so it doesn't happen to me.

I'm still on thin liquids. This is like clears plus Protein drinks and milk. But not applesauce, oatmeal or cottage cheese like you get on full liquids. I can go to softs in a week if I feel ready. As of today, I can't see being ready though. So I may be the full 3 weeks on thin liquids. (It's 2-3 weeks depending.)

Guest limelight@LBT

Hi!

I was sleeved 2 weeks ago by Dr Aceves. Everything went perfect!

I had a drain pouch for 3 days. I wasn't really afraid of a leak. All my leak tests went great. You drink apple juice with blue dye and if it shows up in the drain pouch, then you have a leak. You also do a barium swallow & x-ray.

My surgery took 2 hours (virgin tummy). He also removed a haital hernia. The pain was not bad at all. My only problem, which was non-surgery related, was I got a cold a day after surgery (my kids had it the week before, so I'm guessing that's where I got it). It hurt to cough (the incisions) and I had a fever of 101, so I had to take antibiotics and they gave me a shot in the butt (this was after they removed my IV) of fever reducer. UGH lol. That was the worst part...but if you're not sick, then no worries lol.

As for food, the day of surgery (for 24 hours), you get nothing...just an IV drip..no ice, etc. The second day, you get the apple juice blue dye drink, then Water, yummy broth and more apple juice. The next day is about the same, etc. The day you go home, they gave me containers to take with on the drive of broth, Jello, crystal lite and apple juice.

hope this helps a bit! I am so happy with my choice to go to Mexico & Dr Aceves!

Guest 4meonly@LBT

Limelight,

Thank you so much for your reply.

More questions. Did you drive back home? If so, how far was it? Were you uncomfortable? Were you put on liquids before the surgery? If so, how long? Some people talk about their 'last supper' the night before the surgery. Was the drain uncomfortable? Did they numb before the IV? (I always find that this helps). How long were you out of work?

I hope you don't mind my asking all these questions. I just want to be prepared when I go.

Thanks, again.

Cheryl

Guest 4meonly@LBT

Mac,

Thank you for replying. I read your story on another board. You had a very interesting time.

I appreciate others who have gone through this, sharing their experiences. It really helps the rest of us.

Again, thank you.

Cheryl

Guest limelight@LBT

Limelight,

More questions. Did you drive back home? If so, how far was it? Were you uncomfortable? Were you put on liquids before the surgery? If so, how long? Some people talk about their 'last supper' the night before the surgery. Was the drain uncomfortable? Did they numb before the IV? (I always find that this helps). How long were you out of work?

I hope you don't mind my asking all these questions. I just want to be prepared when I go.

Thanks, again.

Cheryl

No, I didn't drive, we flew. I actually didn't drive again until 1.5 weeks post op.

I was on a low carb/low fat/high Protein diet for 7 days pre-op, but it was optional since my BMI was under 40.

My last supper was a 4 cheese pizza from a nice italian place by the hotel...it was delicious.

The drain was not uncomfortable...only when they removed it, but it wasn't really painful...just weird.

No, they didn't numb, but it didn't really hurt much. I didn't ask to be numbed, though...

I am a stay at home mom, so I don't have to leave the house much.

Guest WASaBubbleButt@LBT

Hi, I've been reading the sleeve threads for awhile now. I've enjoyed reading about the experiences of all of you.

I have a date for my revision. I will get my sleeve on October 20th. I will be going to Mexico and having it done by Dr. Aceves. I have been very pleased with the personal attention given me by Nina the Patient Coordinator.

I got the band in March of 2006. I have had great success! I went down from 200 lbs to 125 lbs (low of 115 lbs). My problem is similar to WASaBubblebutt. I am currently on 3 weeks of liquids in order for the doctor to do everything at the same time. He wants to make sure I don't have a slip or any swelling at the time of surgery.

I would love to hear from others who have used Dr. Aceves. I'd especially like to hear from those who have been revised from band to sleeve. (But, would love to hear the experiences of anyone who has gotten a sleeve.) What was the surgery like? Pain? Drains? Time in surgery? What you ate after surgery? Did you fear a leak? Nina says that they have never had a patient with a leak. That's reassuring. I have so many questions!!

We will be driving from the Seattle area to Mexico. We will stop every hour on the return so I can walk around. What do you think of this? Will it be too uncomfortable?

Soon to be a sleeved sister, :smile2:

Cheryl

Oh my goodness I heard my name in a post. ;o)

Stick with liquids. It's worth it in the end. I have a friend that was going to revise from a band to sleeve and while she was waiting for her surgery date she slipped. Dr. A had to remove her band and not do a revision until her stomach healed from the slip.

I was on liquids for 4 months between band problems and the post op diet for a sleeve. That sucked donkey dicks. It did, I'd be a liar to say anything else. But I had little choice. The band made it such that I could not eat solids without stoma spewing (a term coined right here on the infamous LBT!)

I believe you are making a wise decision with Dr. Aceves. There are two surgeons in MX that do the majority of revision surgeries and Dr. A is one of the two. The other is in Monterrey, MX. They do them because they can do them safely.

The sleeve is a different world from banding. I firmly believe that previously banded folks have no problem with a revision to a sleeve as we have already been through the learning curve of eating and chewing. I ate southern fried chicken the first day of solids yet most newbie sleeves can't tolerate it. I think they don't know how to chew, to be honest.

Want to feel restriction? OMZ! Wait until you are sleeved! Holy crap, that was the first time I experienced true restriction. Took me 2.5 hours to eat a chicken leg and 2 tbls of mashed potatoes. I never experienced true restriction with a band. I was in for the shock of my life.

Driving from MX to Seattle is going to bite regardless of surgery or no surgery. ;o) But you are verrry correct in stopping hourly to walk. This is critical that you do this. It will help to prevent blood clots.

PM/Email me if you have questions.

Guest WASaBubbleButt@LBT

Limelight,

Thanks, again.

Cheryl

I drove home... I drove myself 3.5 hours to Phoenix. No biggie.

Guest 4meonly@LBT

WASaBubbleButt,

Thank you so much for replying. I have read your posts over the past year or so and appreciate your honesty.

After being unfilled for two weeks (liquids only), I had an upper GI done. It came back "absolutely perfect". No slip, erosion, ulcers, or irritation. Because of this, Dr. Aceves said I could eat anything. I have been careful, but have eaten half a hamburger and a few fries for the first time in 2 1/2 years. It was nice to have real food and throw it up!

The doctor now feels very confident that he can do the band to sleeve revision in one surgery. That was what I was hoping for.

When you have some time, can you tell me exactly what to expect from getting to Mexico to leaving?

I was happy to hear that Dr. Aceves has not had any leaks. I think she said no complications in any sleeve operation.

Thank you for your help. I know I can trust that you will be honest in your experience.

Cheryl

Guest 4meonly@LBT

Oops, I meant to say, It was nice to have normal food and not throw it up. Sorry.

Guest skhopp@LBT

Can I ask - why are you switching from a band to a sleeve? Just curious because I am not succeeding on the band, but haven't heard much about the sleeve. Sounds like you've lost lots on the band! Congrats!

Guest 4meonly@LBT

Nazzy,

The revision from band to sleeve is going to cost me $12,500. That's the cost in Calexico. This doctor has been used by many of the regulars on LBT. I've heard nothing but good things about Dr. Aceves and his staff.

Cheryl

Guest 4meonly@LBT

skhopp,

I did very well with the band until about 1 year ago (about 1 1/2 years out). At that time I was down to 115 lbs. I couldn't keep anything down. I would get an unfill and gain weight, a fill and I'd bring everything up. This was a fill or unfill of only .1 cc. The doctor has done 3 endoscopes and 1 upper GI in the last year. They all come back normal. He says he can't figure it out. So, after seeing WASaBubbleButt's thread, I decided to do some research on the sleeve. I like what I see, so will be having it done one week from today. I'm actually very excited. I would like to lose 5-10 lbs and then just maintain. That would put me at 118-123 lbs. Thats a good weight for my 5'4" frame.

Cheryl