Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Clinical Trial for transoral approach to gasric sleeve

Guest kmann@LBT
Sign in to follow this  

Guest kmann@LBT

Hi!!!

This is my 1st post....I am 36 y/o 5'7 230lbs. I am currently in the pre-testing phase for a clinical trial for what is called the TOGA proceedure. It basically creates a gastric sleeve, but they go down the esophagus with a scope, and create the sleeve that way. No insicions at all. I am sooo excited. They have done alot of these overseas already...the trial is just getting started in the US...1st one was done is ST Louis about 2 months ago. If I make it through the screenings, I will be the 1st patient to be done in Columbia Mo.

I am kinda scared though, not of the proceedure, I am worried that I will have this done, and not loose any weight!!! Is that a common thought to go through? I have not had my phyc counciling yet to ask them. I mean part of me KNOWS it will work, but then theres that other part of my brain that says...."nothing else you have ever done worked, why would this be any different"

I just feel so lucky to hopefully be a part of this study, without it I would not be able to have weight loss surgery...because my insurance doesnt cover it, and we cant afford it. So, keep your fingers crossed for me to not have any problmes found on the screening tests they will be doing. I have never had any upper GI problems, but, still I really want this, and I'm scared they will find something that may disqualify me.

If anyone else is intersted in this study there is a web site about it....it is www.togaclinicalstudy.com....u have to live within 100 miles of a trial location...there are several though..but, I bet alot of them are already full...each site is only doing like 30 proceedures,but of course alot of people wont make it throught the screening process.

THanks

Kim:thumbup:

Originally posted at www.lapbandtalk.com

Guest MacMadame@LBT

Hi Kmann-

Yes, it's normal to think that. And every week the scale doesn't move, the feelings often come up again. So be prepared .... because at various time the scales will stop moving. However, during those times, you still lose weight. It's just that you are retaining Water or building muscle so the scale doesn't move. But the inches continue to come off.

I'm having surgery in 3 days and I'm totally freaked out about it and mostly for that reason.

Guest kmann@LBT

What surgery are u having? I am hoping I can stay away from the scale....But, we all know thats not gonna happen...I need that satisfaction. Actually, my 1st concern is just qualifying for the trial, as my insurance doesnt cover wt loss surgery, so if I can't make the trial, I will probably never have weight loss surgery!!

Guest MacMadame@LBT

I'm having a sleeve too only done lap and I'm paying for it. :smile2:

Actually, I know it will work. I'll lose the weight because I *always* lose the weight. It's keeping it off that scares me. Oh and giving up my control to eat what I want when I want it.

Guest shrinkingpamela@LBT

You're saying the same thing every vsg patient does. We all have our moment of freak out! LOL As long as you pay attention to what you're doing and don't sabotage yourself you WILL lose weight. I couldn't imagine it working for me for more than 20 pounds but here I am 95 pounds later.

It's been a year and I still have a tiny tummy. I just got home from lunch out with friends at a Mexican restuarant. Before vsg I would have eaten a whole big plate of food and a basket of chips. Today I had 1 chip, 1/2 a taco and a few bites of rice and I was stuffed. I love it!

I hope all goes well with the testing and you make it thru to surgery! Good luck!