Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gastric Sleeve

Guest Vera@LBT
Sign in to follow this  

Guest Vera@LBT

I read some talk about the Gastric Sleeve on another board and became very curious so I did some research. I bring it up cause with the potential erosion with any band this is a very possible alternative for me.

The Gastric Sleeve is not a sleeve/tube or a devise, but a type of stomach reducing surgery. A precursor to the DS. In the DS (Duodenal Switch) the stomach is reduce to the size and shape of about a small banana, then part of the intestines are reroute.

With the Gastric Sleeve the stomach is reduced to the same shape and size as the DS but no intestines are rerouted, but if the sleeve/stomach becomes enlarged or weight-loss subsides a second surgery can be preformed to re-route the intestines.

I personally would only have the sleeve done.

What I noted was that there is no malabsorbstion issues with the sleeve, it's just a smaller stomach and has a lot of the same rules as banding such as chew well, no drinking with meals, small food portions, no carbonation. Most of the rules are to avoid enlarging or stretching the new pouch. And of course this is an irreversible surgery.

I'm just wondering if anyone else has done research on the Gastric Sleeve and your inputs??

My description may not be accurate, I'm just starting my research so don't quote me.

For ref.

http://www.obesitymd.org/surgical_sleeve.html

http://www.columbiasurgery.org/divisions/obesity/surgical_ob.html

Originally posted at www.lapbandtalk.com

Guest rachele@LBT

Personally I think this is a great alternative to the band, Vera. Even though you would be making an alteration, you wouldn't have the chance of erosion or slippage. Just so you know, the way the stomach is reduced, there are 3 lines of titanium staples, so there is very little chance of any problems with staple lines like in the "old days".

Guest rachele@LBT

Sorry, Vera. Guess I'm a thread killer...

Guest DeLarla@LBT

Erosion sucks. I'm all for it. Though I will cry like a baby if I ever have to face another surgery. Vera, aren't you surgeried out yet? You're too tough for me!

Guest Jack@LBT

I haven't heard of this one before.....

and I'm a bit giddy from all the choices now coming on the market...

Guest Iluvharleys@LBT

This is the first time I heard of this one. I'll have to check it out. Thanks Vera!

Guest Vera@LBT

Rachele, I have a ton of Titanium staples in my rectum from my colon removal back in 2000 (no I don't wear a bag) unless they all fell out, which they said would happen over time. So that's not a problem for me, but I'm not aware of these seams being stapled??

Basically, it is an improvement over prior gastroplasty procedures, which are rarely done due to problems related to the placement of staples, silastic rings and mesh around the stomach pouch. In addition to avoiding foreign bodies, the other advantage over the older procedures is that the excess stomach volume is removed, not left in place. This possibly eliminates most Ghrelin hormone production and helps to reduce the sensation of hunger that people have. Thanks for this info. Karen

I've got the research bug going.

Lisa, I would be devestated if I lost my band. You know I feel for you. I wouldn't be able to cope watching the weight come back and I know I'm weak. All the money we dish out keeps me in check. I didn't spend all this money for nothing is the only thing keeping me from eating. We're (I'm) scared and have to know my options. Like you say babe "Peace"

Guest rachele@LBT

Hi Vera! Wow. I wonder if mine will fall out eventually? I know it wouldn't cause a staple line rupture because the stomach heals and seals, but now I am curious. I thought they'd stay in forever. I'll ask my surgeon when I go to my 3 month Feb. 21.

Guest gentlespirit@LBT

Karen~

I checked the site you mentioned out a few days ago, and it sounded really interesting. I'm committed to the band now, but if that had to be removed for some reason, I think I'd consider going the vertical gastrectomy route. Thanks for sharing the info.

Emily

Guest HarleyNana@LBT

I'm with Betty, never heard of it, but it's nice to know there are other options.

Guest ginarf@LBT

I have my pre-op on the 29th and I am planning on asking my surgeon if he does this surgery. I have heard that Kaiser does them, but does not offer it to pts just yet???

By the way there is no rerouting of any intestines and you still have your pyloric valve. You do loose 3/4 of your stomach and your stomach will be shaped like a banana.

Guest LngRedRose@LBT

Gina,

I had the sleeve on July 2nd.. I am down 52 lbs. :-)

Guest JaJeanne@LBT

LRrose- that is tooo awesome that averages out to 6.5 lbs a week, totally freakin awesome. I'm averaging 4.5 lbs a week but I'm not getting all my Protein and Water in, what does your menu look like? Do you have any pointers? Thanks, Jeanne

Guest jlweb55@LBT

Gina,

I had the sleeve on July 2nd.. I am down 52 lbs. :-)

I had the sleeve on aug 14th, I lost 29 lbs from then to aug 29, was on a liquid diet from aug 4 to aug 29. Now that I am on real food my weight loss has stopped. I hope it will continue soon, Its been 6 days and no weight loss. I ate a whole slice of pizza last night. The surgery was easy and I had the band in the early 90's when it was not ajustable and it did not work. All the people I know with the band are having trouble or have had to let it all the way out. One friend just had to have polups removed from inside her stomach where the band is.