Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sleeve question

Guest pjd3253@LBT
Sign in to follow this  

Guest pjd3253@LBT

I have 50 pounds to lose and a low BMI so I was surprised when I went to my psychologist appt last week and she asked me why I was doing the band and not the sleeve since it was "less restrictive". My doctor's bariatric coordinator said that first of all a sleeve is usually not done on someone unless more weight to lose and you have to stay overnight at hospital and it is of course irreversible so not sure why she would tell me that - my belief is that a psychologist should not give medical advice that is different than my doctor so now I am confused about which to get? Anyone know anything about the sleeve being less restrictive? She said that it was great because no fills needed and not a foreign object left in body both of which are good reasons to get the sleeve but I am worried that it being irreversible. Thanks.

Originally posted at www.lapbandtalk.com

Guest laurenwhite82@LBT

I am not sure why your psychologist would try to change your mind about which procedure you preferred. That is a personal choice, and I wouldnt think it would make much of a difference psychologically. Hmmm.... Anyway.... Personally, I thought about the seeve but, since it is not adjustable like the band, there is a tendancy for the pouch to stretch back out and people to regain their weight (from what I read). It is a more involved surgery than the band as well, although not as complicated as RNY. The sleeve was never a real option for me as my insurance will not cover it. It is still considered "experimental" by Cigna because it has not been around as long. Anyway, it has to be something that you choose, as it is a very personal endeavor we are on. Do you have another appointment with your psychologist? If so, you might ask why he or she recommended another surgery. Make your dr aware that you have done the research and you have reasons as to why you have chosen what you have chosen. Is your psych. associated with a bariatric hospital? I will have surgery at NYU (which happens to be very band gung-ho) and had to go to "their" psychologist to get approved for surgery. Maybe the hospitals wants are rubbing off onto the psych.?? Every dr has a surgery they prefer....who knows! Good luck with everything and stick to your guns!!

Guest pjd3253@LBT

No I don't have another psych appt - have my pre-op appt on 23rd and surgery 4 days later 27th. I am cash-pay - my insurance wouldn't cover it. I am going to stick with the band for n ow - I think with just 40-50 lbs to lose it is the best option for me - my BMI is 32.1 so not that high either and I would be worried I would actually lose too much weight with the sleeve - I don't want to be too thin as weird as that sounds, Thanks