Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I had a band placed and hate it. What is the cost for a revision? I am selfpay.

I had a band placed and hate it. What is the cost for a revision? I am selfpay.

Before considering revision maybe we can help you with your band.

How long have you had it? Any fills? Any restriction? Why do you hate it? What is going on?

I'm in the same boat, Stuck. Self pay lapband patient, and asked my doctor when I first got the band how much he would charge to revise, he was annoyed, wanted me to stick with the band, its horrible, I hate it. Monty Swartz in Tucson, my doc, said he can do a revision for mid $30's, OMG, thats outrageous, I think the cost is similar in Phoenix, called around a bit. Austin Bariatric Center in TX is $11-$12k, but thats just the sleeve, not revision, they don't take the band out or have anything to do with the band, that may have changed. Theres another place in El Paso I think that is similar price. Scary though, I saw a post on here of a lady who had leakage and had to go back in for emergency surgery in TX, wow, what if that happens in Mexico (thats where I'm considering). I asked my doc to just take the band out w/o revision out and he won't strongly advises against for a revisions, says its much less invasive to do both at once, which makes sense, but depending on cost and other issues, I may still try to have him remove. Anyone know costs elsewhere? Mexico? How safe is that? What about the possibility of leakage? How long do you have to stay?

I'm in the same boat, Stuck. Self pay lapband patient, and asked my doctor when I first got the band how much he would charge to revise, he was annoyed, wanted me to stick with the band, its horrible, I hate it. Monty Swartz in Tucson, my doc, said he can do a revision for mid $30's, OMG, thats outrageous, I think the cost is similar in Phoenix, called around a bit. Austin Bariatric Center in TX is $11-$12k, but thats just the sleeve, not revision, they don't take the band out or have anything to do with the band, that may have changed. Theres another place in El Paso I think that is similar price. Scary though, I saw a post on here of a lady who had leakage and had to go back in for emergency surgery in TX, wow, what if that happens in Mexico (thats where I'm considering). I asked my doc to just take the band out w/o revision out and he won't strongly advises against for a revisions, says its much less invasive to do both at once, which makes sense, but depending on cost and other issues, I may still try to have him remove. Anyone know costs elsewhere? Mexico? How safe is that? What about the possibility of leakage? How long do you have to stay?

Wow, $30K for a revision? That's horrible.

Earlier you were asking about Aceves, I do not know what his revision cost is because they have all these promotions going on now. Call Nina and ask her. If you want the number I can PM you with it.

One thing I would suggest is that if you are still considering Aceves he is driving distance from you. You are in Tucson? He's about 3.5 hours from you so go down there for a consult. Check it out and see if you are comfortable with it. Make a day trip out of it, leave in the AM return in the afternoon.

Revisions cost more than a straight sleeve but if you get the band out under insurance then couldn't you save a few bucks that way? Even if your ins does not cover WLS they may cover band removal. Your doc agrees with my doc that if the revision can be done in the same surgery that is best, it's less OR time, one surgery vs. two, etc. But that is something for you to consider anyway.

My doc told me that leak risks are triple with a revision from band to sleeve so it really is important for you to go to a revision surgeon regardless of which country you choose.

For leaks... I don't know how other doctors do it but Aceves does three leak tests. If you have a leak happen later you can go to any surgeon in the US. It's the band surgeons that won't take care of other doctors banded patients. There is also insurance you can buy just for that. Let's say you go to someone in Mexico or the US and come home and have complications there is an insurance policy you can buy that covers those costs.

seriously wasabubble, you are so wonderful to do this support site for people, share your time and experience. Thank you so much!! Wow, 3x more likely for a leak with revision, scary. Any suggestions? Adhere strictly to the diet: softs and liquids for the first 2 months? Did you have any leakage? When did you get your revision? What is it like now, can you eat without discomfort? Extremely small quanities? I sincerely do appreciate your time!!! I will call MX this am, I have been seriously considering for some time, just think I'm at the end of struggle now.

There is also insurance you can buy just for that. Let's say you go to someone in Mexico or the US and come home and have complications there is an insurance policy you can buy that covers those costs.

WASa, Are you saying that for any sleeve surgery there is insurance policy you can get for complications? Tell me more-how do you get this and how much is it?

WASa, Are you saying that for any sleeve surgery there is insurance policy you can get for complications? Tell me more-how do you get this and how much is it?

First I've heard of it - do tell more please

The only insurance I know about for this is BLIS and your surgeon has to be in their program.

You think 30k for a revision is bad? There are surgeons who charge that for a virgin surgery! The top sleeve surgeons in the US all charge under $20k so my feeling is, don't pay more than that.

seriously wasabubble, you are so wonderful to do this support site for people, share your time and experience. Thank you so much!! Wow, 3x more likely for a leak with revision, scary. Any suggestions? Adhere strictly to the diet: softs and liquids for the first 2 months? Did you have any leakage? When did you get your revision? What is it like now, can you eat without discomfort? Extremely small quanities? I sincerely do appreciate your time!!! I will call MX this am, I have been seriously considering for some time, just think I'm at the end of struggle now.

Hi, I was wondering what you ended up doing? I'm in Tucson also, and have a band, for almost 5 yrs now, I weigh almost what I did the day of my surgery! I am now wanting a sleeve. Looking at getting it here in town, but I'm self pay, so considering Mexico. Thanks, Anne

Hi, I was wondering what you ended up doing? I'm in Tucson also, and have a band, for almost 5 yrs now, I weigh almost what I did the day of my surgery! I am now wanting a sleeve. Looking at getting it here in town, but I'm self pay, so considering Mexico. Thanks, Anne

Hi Anne... I am in Tucson also. Considering revision. I was quoted 21,000 for revision surgery here. I really like my Dr... but if I do decide on a revision, will most likely go with Dr Aceves in MX. I just had an upper GI done on the 31st to test for a slip. Those results will help make my decision. My Dr is really pushing for a fix, but I am pretty closed to that at this point. PM me if you would like to chat more!

Lori

Like a few others here I went with a VGS using a self pay facility. I went to the Jerusalem hospital in Tijuana MX. http://www.medicaltourismco.com/mexico-hospitals/hospital-jerusalem-tijuana-mx.php The cost was $5000 out of pocket, perhaps the revision with the removal of the lap band might be more.

I understand that some are not comfortable going this route, but it has worked out well for me and many others.