Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

We went to the post office today and applied for a passport. I was told that we would not get it back in time to leave for Mexico. I told them that we could show our reciept and birth certificate and they all laughed like we were idots. They said the law changed on June 1st and you had to have the the passport in hand. Now I don't know what to do. Change surgery date from the 15th or what. I need to pay for my plane tickets within 2 hours.

Has anyone just shown birth certificate and reciept since June 1st. Did you have any trouble?

Thanks, Judy

We went to the post office today and applied for a passport. I was told that we would not get it back in time to leave for Mexico. I told them that we could show our reciept and birth certificate and they all laughed like we were idots. They said the law changed on June 1st and you had to have the the passport in hand. Now I don't know what to do. Change surgery date from the 15th or what. I need to pay for my plane tickets within 2 hours.

Has anyone just shown birth certificate and reciept since June 1st. Did you have any trouble?

Thanks, Judy

Did you pay to have it expedited? I know sometimes you can get your passport in 48 hours or something like that -- you pay for it, but at least you have it.

I went to the government site and didn't read anything about using the application that you'd applied and your birth certificate instead of a passport or passport card; although I thought someone had mentioned it on this site.

I just talked to Nina at Dr Aceves office and she said that a birth cert. and Picture ID with DR Aceves patients is still fine for this month. She said she would have to find out for the month of August though. Phew!!!

The post office is trying to Expedite it but doubts we get it back in time. Thanks, Judy

I just talked to Nina at Dr Aceves office and she said that a birth cert. and Picture ID with DR Aceves patients is still fine for this month. She said she would have to find out for the month of August though. Phew!!!

The post office is trying to Expedite it but doubts we get it back in time. Thanks, Judy

And did you tell her if she's wrong, that she'd better warn Dr. Aceves that he's going to have some houseguests? :thumbup:

I got mine expidited and got it in 7 days....... you could actually book your flight early and go to a processing center and get one...... there are seven across the us.....

BUT YOU HAD TO HAVE IT AS OF THE June 1 09. Only kids under 16 can still use a birth certificate!

If you need an expediting service, you can find one online. It will cost about 100 to 150.00 for this service if it becomes necessary

I got mine expidited and got it in 7 days....... you could actually book your flight early and go to a processing center and get one...... there are seven across the us.....

BUT YOU HAD TO HAVE IT AS OF THE June 1 09. Only kids under 16 can still use a birth certificate!

This is not accurate, for at least July and maybe August you can bring proof you applied for a passport. The border is accepting this. I do not know if this holds true for "flying" into Mexico but it is true for driving into Mexico.

They held the tourists who were in front of us w/o passports!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! At the Tijuanna crossing. THey entered Mexico prior to the first of June.......but were returning after the June 1st deadline

Mexico

If you have the enhanced DL you might be OK......... but I would not chance it....... Detained by US athorities is one thing, Mexican athorities is another.

I lived in SOuthern Mexico for 20 months....... not that much fun with Mexican Police or border patrol. Make sure the US state department SAYS and ge tthe person's name in writing and print out to take with you incase they are wrong.....so you are covered......

but I would pay the extra 24-hour processing fee if you want that day,....... I learned after living there for so long.....you do not want to "buck" the norm or you can be in for trouble.

My personal experience......others may have other..... but........ again I wouldn't want you to get there and be wrong!

Thanks, Judy

Did you get a passport in time? I am in the same situation. I have applied with expediated service. I am scheduled for surgery July 25th and need to schedule airline tickets. I am just concerned that I won't get it in time. Did you receive yours??????

No, We still have not recieved the passports. We just sent for them regular mail. I had to cancel my surgery date to a later time. My mother is having by-pass surgery tomorrow and I needed to be with her. I would have went on with just the reciept that we had applied for. Nina from Dr. Aceves office told me that several others had just showed thier drivers licence, birth certificate and the passport reciept. You can call the Drs. office and talk to them if it would make you feel better about it. You should get yours back in time. Judy

Edited by Ky.hen