Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I cant stress the importance of this preop diet. Please follow it to the letter. Unfortunately, I didnt do this and suffered from it.

The preop diet is giving for very important reasons....

shrinking the liver, to allow the surgeon to move it easily to get to the stomach.

also to get you used to the diet itself..

Since I didnt follow mine, my liver was really enlarged. Thankfully, Dr. Joya was skilled enough to continue with my Sleeve...however, in the process of trying to move it, my liver was lacerated...he repaired it with easy, thankfully and continued on with my Sleeve. As a result, I lost alot of blood and needed transfusions and he had to make a few more incisions. In the end, I had 8 incisions and 20 stitches. It didnt result in any more hospital stay, but I was in a bit more pain than usual. Plus, the cost was more too.

I really wish I had known all of this...I guess I did, but I ignored it, thinking I would be fine.....well, I was wrong.

So now, I really stress the importance of this diet. All surgeons preops are different and some dont require one...alot of that depends on the surgeon as well as you overall health and BMI at the time. My BMI was 73 at the time of surgery, so I really needed to do well on my preop, but I didnt.

Thank you for the info Ladie. I hope to start my preop diet soon. I will be careful to follow the Dr. orders.

I'm sorry this happened to you. Are you ok now? Did your liver heal? Judy

Yes Im perfectly fine now...it didnt take much to get over at all. Really, I didnt see any bad effects from it, but I was really lucky too..

I read your post about a month ago - my surgery is tomorrow and I have to say your post has kept me honest with my pre-op diet over the past two weeks. Thanks for the words of wisdom. It really can be difficult, especially in the beginning. The last few days have been much easier. It gets easier to focus on the "prize" at the end.

My VSG is scheduled August 17th with Dr. Joya. I didn't get a whole lot of info as to what I will need while there. Susie helped me with some, thanks Susie. Who took your stitches out? Did you fly back to PV for a followup? Is there anything else I should know? According to his website all that stuff is covered. I'm Confused :-(

I cant stress the importance of this preop diet. Please follow it to the letter. Unfortunately, I didnt do this and suffered from it.

shrinking the liver, to allow the surgeon to move it easily to get to the stomach.

Since I didnt follow mine, my liver was really enlarged. Thankfully, Dr. Joya was skilled enough to continue with my Sleeve...however, in the process of trying to move it, my liver was lacerated...he repaired it with easy, thankfully and continued on with my Sleeve. As a result, I lost alot of blood and needed transfusions and he had to make a few more incisions. In the end, I had 8 incisions and 20 stitches. It didnt result in any more hospital stay, but I was in a bit more pain than usual. Plus, the cost was more too.

I really wish I had known all of this...I guess I did, but I ignored it, thinking I would be fine.....well, I was wrong.

So now, I really stress the importance of this diet. All surgeons preops are different and some dont require one...alot of that depends on the surgeon as well as you overall health and BMI at the time. My BMI was 73 at the time of surgery, so I really needed to do well on my preop, but I didnt.

Hello,

I am glad I clicked on your picture when I stopped in to leave a message for Ky.hen. I have been reading some of your posts and when I came across this one I was really glad to read it. I have been told about all of this, but now it all makes sense and lets me know the importance of it all. I will be starting the Pre-op diet soon. The bariatric center here in Somerset will soon be sending all my information into the insurance to see if I get an approval for the VSG surgery, hopefully this week I will have the Psych. Eval. ready to turn in. My councelor is a Psychologist and she is finishing it up now. I know I still have alot to learn and you sure helped me learn some important things for my Pre-op. I would be very glad to have you on my list of friends, so that I can keep up with your progress. Thank you for being here just when I needed you, Pre-op!!!

Im glad that I could help. Good luck with your pre-op and surgery.

:thumbup:

Lisa

Hello,

I am glad I clicked on your picture when I stopped in to leave a message for Ky.hen. I have been reading some of your posts and when I came across this one I was really glad to read it. I have been told about all of this, but now it all makes sense and lets me know the importance of it all. I will be starting the Pre-op diet soon. The bariatric center here in Somerset will soon be sending all my information into the insurance to see if I get an approval for the VSG surgery, hopefully this week I will have the Psych. Eval. ready to turn in. My councelor is a Psychologist and she is finishing it up now. I know I still have alot to learn and you sure helped me learn some important things for my Pre-op. I would be very glad to have you on my list of friends, so that I can keep up with your progress. Thank you for being here just when I needed you, Pre-op!!!

This scares me! I'm going in on Tuesday for surgery and my doctor told me I don't need to do a pre-op diet. My BMI is 43 and he said because it is not that high, it's not necessary. Do you think he's right?

Charity, I agree with Vegas. Every doctor is different. Some of them have you do the pre-op if there are certain medical indicators that you need to. If he isn't having you do a pre-op, then you are fine. Don't worry about it, everything will be wonderful.

This scares me! I'm going in on Tuesday for surgery and my doctor told me I don't need to do a pre-op diet. My BMI is 43 and he said because it is not that high, it's not necessary. Do you think he's right?

Trust your doctor. I trust my doctor. He went to school forever to do this. They care about helping people or they would not be doing this. Everything is going to be fine.

Every doc is different...... Mine didn't make me do a 2 week preop diet either. I just had to do liquids 2 days prior to surgery.

Of course he didn't want me to gain weight either, but he wasn't real strict.

You will do just fine, but the fears are natural!

I agree with the others too. Trust your doctor. You have a much lower BMI than I did. Mine was 73 when I began my journey. I wasnt required to lose a certain amount of weight, which is why I chose my doctor. However, I was supposed to do the pre-op diet and I had guidelines...which I didnt follow.

So, go with what your doctor says.

Good luck.