Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Please any help / advice would be greatly appreciated! Newly post-op

Hi everybody! My name is Susan. I am today four days post op. I have a lot of fears and concerns. I am scared that the surgery didn't work. I am not feeling the full feeling that I have read other people talk about. Is it normal to be hungry frequently after the surgery? The hunger is really frightening me. I am on the full liquids now. I am able to eat Soups and yogurt, etc. Please tell me that others out there felt the hunger initially and didn't feel the fullness that others speak of. :lol0: I am worried that it didn't work. Thanks forr any advice!

You are on liquids. When liquids hit the pylorus valve, it opens up. So it's impossible to know how much you can actually eat when you are on liquids and some people find it very hard to feel full during that time.

For me, I found some of the stuff like yogurt would make me feel full. But not everything. It just depended. Some people are very swollen and can't even drink a lot of liquids. But not everyone is like that. Some people aren't very swollen at all.

But once you are on regular food, you should feel restricted whenever you eat anything solid.

Everyone is different. Some people question whether or not they had surgery. I must have had a lot of swelling post-op because it was tough getting liquids down. Once you get to the soft phase of eating you might feel full faster but, as Mac said, solids are the real test. Don't worry, what you're feeling and experiencing is normal.

Thank you soooo much!! I am in Costa Rica right now recovering from the surgery. Thankfully, my father lives here, so I have somewhere to stay. I have begun to feel very alone with this. I nearly shouted out loud for joy when I found this forum. :lol0: I have stayed in regular contact with my surgeon, but he keeps telling me "Don't worry it's ok." I'm sure he's being genuine, but it is something very different to hear it from people that have been through it. When I get home (to Orlando Florida) I am going to look for a support group to go to. I also know I need to find a nutritionist at home. I think I need to try to drink more Water, too. It is definitely a lot to learn and a big change! :lol0:

Some people are very swollen and can't even drink a lot of liquids. But not everyone is like that. Some people aren't very swollen at all.

Everyone is different. Some people question whether or not they had surgery. I must have had a lot of swelling post-op because it was tough getting liquids down. Once you get to the soft phase of eating you might feel full faster but, as Mac said, solids are the real test. Don't worry, what you're feeling and experiencing is normal.

This is true -- I must have a lot of swelling, as I still have a hard time getting too much liquid down; Ruthi on the other hand, who had surgery the same day as I did, seems to not have any trouble at all and hasn't since the day we got liquids. Mine has gotten better; however, it still feels as though it gets "stuck" right between my breasts and that does concern me.

Congrats on your surgery -- and welcome to VST!

You are just like me. I was complaining that I could drink just as easily as I did before surgery. I felt hungry for a couple of weeks.

Don't worry. I don't even like to eat solids right now because I get full way too fast. I eat mainly soft foods.

I am like Oregan Daisy, the liquids werent a problem at all, my head told me I was hungry all the time. I was having doubts as to if the Dr did anything at all but as the liquids got thicker, like yogurt and pudding, it was definitely noticeable. Dont worry, its going to work for you. Welcome to the site, we love new sleeve sisters.

I can't even begin to tell you all how much I appreciate the help and encouragement. It means so much. This is such a journey and a change that it feels so nice to know that I have other people helping me. I hope to be able to help others in the future! :001_tt2:

Just go slowly once you're able to eat. The first time I ate fish, I ate way too much and felt like I was going to explode. It was really painful and something I don't forget.

Keep posting and let us know your progress, you are bound to have more questions. I did. We are here for each other.

I had my surgery tuesday and am also able to drink as before.....same worry here too! I keep taking out my two different leak x rays and looking at the stomach to make sure it is all gone! (yep....not there)

But I also "feel a little like when my band was full ......just a little tickle ....so I know that something is different.

I have not tried yougurt. We are asked for 7-10 days clear and then 10 days full before starting mushies.

SO I am just on clears. And occasionally hungry! But I am using RTD Isopure witht he 40 g Protein....2 a day and really only feel head hunger.....when i am cooking for the kids or smell others food....like at airport!

Hope all is ol for you!

Edited by burnsun

I LOVE THIS WEBSITE!! I find myself compulsively coming here. It feels so good to know that all of you are with me and that we can support each other without even "knowing" each other!

I LOVE THIS WEBSITE!! I find myself compulsively coming here. It feels so good to know that all of you are with me and that we can support each other without even "knowing" each other!

Yes, it is very addictive and helpful. And some of us even know one another - had surgery at the same time or within a day of one another. That's cool too.

Glad you're here and feel at home :confused1:

Yes, it is very addictive and helpful. And some of us even know one another - had surgery at the same time or within a day of one another. That's cool too.

Glad you're here and feel at home :confused1:

Even for those of us that do not know one another in r/t, we are still very close. It's weird... we know one another on an internet message board but we sincerely care about others. I'd love to see a study on THAT! ;o)

For those of us with addictive personalities, being an Admin on such a message board feeds my addiction quite well. ;o)