Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have a hang-up, appreciate advice

Hello all-

I find myself with a mental hang-up I need to get taken care of, so some previous experience would be great.

I am going to be in AZ on vacation for the 2 weeks before I head to MX for my sleeve. So, what I am hung up on is the trip home to VA.

What should I have on my person to make it through the travel? I obviously need Water (I can buy that at the airport) but what about Protein? The hang up I have is getting it through security. The bullets I have here are 3.1 oz (and the security limit is 3oz) and I am uncomfortable taking a self made baggie of powder on the plane. So I guess I need to find someplace that has something I can have in packets?

I don't know why this is causing me such distress, but it really is. So if someone who has been through it could weigh in on this I would really appreciate it.

Dear Blue,

My friend and I just returned from Mexicali and VSG surgery. Truly, the surgery will not be the hardest part.

I am in the tour biz and travel lots of airports so I may be able to help you. I take an EMPTY plastic Water bottle in my check through. Once on the other side of security, I find a Water fountain and fill it up with water & powdered packets of Special K protien H20. As long as you are not carrying an illegal substance, most airlines don't care what you carry (in powdered form) in baggies. PACK LIGHT. Anything over 3oz will be confiscated so put that in a zip lock bag in "check through" luggage or leave it at home.

It will be very difficult to worry about airports, transfers, parking, protien, water, etc on your return home day so don't worry if you aren't "perfect" on travel home day. Do the best you can. Expect your first few days home to be the roughest. Not because of surgery, but mentally. It is common to complain about the "clear liqud phase" and you may feel like it will never end but each day you will begin to feel better and the stress and feeling of deprivation subsides with each passing day. Expect ups and downs. You are in a learning period and most of us muttle our way through it.

The airport is where REALITY hit me like a ton of bricks and I wish I had known this before it happened to me so I could have prepared for it better:

We had a layover (on our way back to Texas) in Las Vegas. Coming off the jetway, the first thing I saw was the CINNABON shop with the smell of warm cinnamon wafting in my face. Next was the pizza shop, Burger King, The warm pretzel stand and an endless line of food options. Every hunger pang and craving went racing through my head and all of a sudden the feeling of deprivation and "what have I done to myself?" flooded my thoughts! The lady sitting next to me asked if I would "watch her pretzel" while she went to the restroom! This was my first experience in the REAL WORLD after bariatric surgery. Life at the hospital was warm and fuzzy and I'm really on my own now! I've heard others talk about HEAD food but I was unprepared for my reactions.

MY ADVICE: Know that the airport my be your first encounter with "Head Food" issues. I chewed some sugar free Clorets gum, walked around, read, drank my Special K water and talked to myself about how I was feeling and dealing with this. Eating fast foods in airports has been a simple pleasure in my life for 18 years of travel. That's never going to be a "priority" ever again for me. Hope this helps!

If you are going to Mexicali, you will LOVE Dr. Aceves and his team.

I had no problem bring mine to SAD......as long as they fit in the bag...... I also had one in my medicine bag

Dear Blue,

We had a layover (on our way back to Texas) in Las Vegas. Coming off the jetway, the first thing I saw was the CINNABON shop with the smell of warm cinnamon wafting in my face. Next was the pizza shop, Burger King, The warm pretzel stand and an endless line of food options. Every hunger pang and craving went racing through my head and all of a sudden the feeling of deprivation and "what have I done to myself?" flooded my thoughts! The lady sitting next to me asked if I would "watch her pretzel" while she went to the restroom! This was my first experience in the REAL WORLD after bariatric surgery. Life at the hospital was warm and fuzzy and I'm really on my own now! I've heard others talk about HEAD food but I was unprepared for my reactions.

If you are going to Mexicali, you will LOVE Dr. Aceves and his team.

WHAT??? You were in Las Vegas and didn't let me know? I'm so hurt ... :o:tongue_smilie:

I know exactly how you feel expressing all that hits you at the LV airport ... We drove home and a few of the places we stopped had donuts - my weakness (pastries) and I had a few of the same thoughts as to "what have I done?"

Also, I wouldn't worry too much about having a ton of Protein, as you'll be limited to sipping about 2 oz. every 15 minutes and you may not even feel like that.

Our trip home was about 6 hours and I truly didn't feel all that wonderful. Granted, I didn't prepare very well - and didn't have any Protein with me. We ended up stopping at a Big Boy in Baker and I got some vegetable Soup (mostly broth) and nursed that the rest of the way home. I think if you have a couple SpecialK packets and have acess to Water, you'll be fine on the trip home.

Hard to imagine now, I am sure, that you aren't going to be able to drink a couple of bottles of water; my guess, you'll be lucky to get through even one bottle.

As for Dr. Aceves -- I agree with Size7

Edited by VegasAngel
typos - it's too early this morning for my fingers to work

This sounds to familiar. I am heading to Hawaii on 7/3 for a week. I have no idea what I will eat while I am on the plane for 8 hours or while I am there. I guess I will hit the grocery store an see what they have to offer. Any advice.:tongue_smilie:

Oh and if some random lady you don't know asks you to "watch her pretzel" give her a look like she asked you to watch her bomb and DON'T DO IT! :laugh:

Seriously, who would do something like that? That's not normal IMO.

If you order nectar samples from Syntrex, they come in little packages. Beside that, there are plenty of things that come in a box with single servings that you add Water to.

Edited by Oregondaisy

Thanks guys. I knew I would find what I needed here. I am a little gun shy about the flight because the last time I flew I was snowed in in Las Vegas for two days!

So I want to be sure i have what I need with me in case I get stranded, even though it isn't likely I get snowed in in July!

Thanks guys. I knew I would find what I needed here. I am a little gun shy about the flight because the last time I flew I was snowed in in Las Vegas for two days!

So I want to be sure i have what I need with me in case I get stranded, even though it isn't likely I get snowed in in July!

OMG -- that's too funny -- and I can pretty much attest to the fact that it's highly unlikely you'll get snowed in in July -- at least in Las Vegas ... You must have been here in December -- I've lived in Las Vegas for 13 years, it's snowed accumulative snow 4 times with last December being the worst snow "storm" My son lived in Henderson at the time and they actually got 6"!

I can understand your apprehension in flying after that and wanting to be prepared.

Funny thing - the DJs on my radio were just saying this morning if you had to get stuck at an airport for longer than anticipated - Las Vegas is the airport to get stuck in -- you can eat, gamble and shop and never leave the terminal.

Actually in Seven Hills here we got over 10 inches. It was wacko. Trees were breaking right and left from the weight of the snow. They weren't built for snow. I'll have to post some photos.

The only worry you would have in July was the runway tarmac melting.:shocked4:

Actually in Seven Hills here we got over 10 inches. It was wacko. Trees were breaking right and left from the weight of the snow. They weren't built for snow. I'll have to post some photos.

The only worry you would have in July was the runway tarmac melting.:shocked4:

Would LOVE to see those pics RB - we didn't get very much at all on the NW side.

Make sure you check your luggage for the return flight. You're not supposed to lift more than 20 pounds post-op.

Make sure you check your luggage for the return flight. You're not supposed to lift more than 20 pounds post-op.

I was told 15 - however, I've found that I'm very bad at quessing what things weigh -- I know both my dogs are over 15 so cannot lift them -- which really ticks Riley off because he has such short little legs (Shitzu) that he isn't able to get on the bed by himself.

If I think it's going to be too heavy, I just ask someone to help me with it - so far everyone has been great.