Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Many do not realize how important this Vitamin is. There is an interesting bit of history on Vit D, it's not really a vitamin but a hormone.

For more information check it out:

Vitamin D Council | Understanding Vitamin D Cholecalciferol

If you want to check your own Vit D levels you can do it yourself at home. The Vitamin D Council was formed to educate people on the necessity of watching your D levels:

ZRT - ZRT Products

It is very simple to do, they send you a kit. You poke your finger and bleed on special paper. Let it air dry, fill out a form, put it all in an addressed envelope provided in the kit and drop it in the mail. In 10-14 days you are able to view the lab results on line and they also send you the results by mail.

It should be noted that a strong craving for sweets can potentially be a symptom of Vit D deficiency.

Many studies show that obese people are severely lacking in Vit D. As we lose weight it often times becomes worse.

Many doctors still go by what used to be thought of as normal blood values of 20-50. This is no longer accurate information. We should shoot for lab values of 50-80.

I did this and realized I was severely deficient in Vit D. I started supplementing and deep bone pain is gone as well as my craving for sweets.

Thanks for posting this. I ordered the kit and I probably would have kept forgetting to ask you about it again.

I'll be poking the finger soon. I've been taking extra Vit. D

so I am really curious how my test will come out.

I think I will order this kit for me and for my DF -- he craves (and eats) sweets like crazy ... I told him I recently heard he may have a Vitamin D deficiency.

He's considering have the sleeve -- does Dr. Aceves blood tests include a rating on Vitamin D? Any idea of that Wasa?

Thanks for posting this. I ordered the kit and I probably would have kept forgetting to ask you about it again.

I'll be poking the finger soon. I've been taking extra Vit. D

so I am really curious how my test will come out.

Denise....

If you are taking extra vit D you won't know what your baseline is or if you need to take extra Vit D. ;o)

You want to test when you are taking your usual dose so you know if you need to increase or not.

I think I will order this kit for me and for my DF -- he craves (and eats) sweets like crazy ... I told him I recently heard he may have a Vitamin D deficiency.

He's considering have the sleeve -- does Dr. Aceves blood tests include a rating on Vitamin D? Any idea of that Wasa?

No, those are not standard pre op labs.

Besides, doctors do not order the right Vit D test typically. There are several ways to test for Vit D and 99% of doctors test for the wrong one according to the experts at the Vit D Council.

The test in this thread is the right one. Also, labs are still showing 30 as normal when it is quite low. You want a lab result of at least 50.

It's like a TSH, most labs are still showing a 12 as being normal when in fact the Endocrinologists know that up to 6 is normal, not 12.

It's hard to get labs to update their "normal ranges" and doctors still go by old information in some cases.

I've been taking two of these little Gummy vit D 3's for about a month now. I am at my daughter's at the moment so I can't look on the bottle to see how much is in there.

Should I stop it until I take the test or just keep taking two

since I've been doing it for a month now?

A naturopath told DH he was Vit D deficient about 2 years ago, and that he needed to supplement for a while.

He has very fair caucasian skin that burns, and he avoids the sun like the plague. Of course in Australia, we're ALL very sun smart, its just so strong here and the skin cancer message has gotten in for most people. But DH wont even mow the lawn without being slathered in 30+. Well, it caught up with him, everyone needs SOME sun exposure. That legend of the bronzed Aussie - well on any beach it'll be the Australians that are wearing rash vests, big hats, 30+ sun screen and only the crazy English tourists are out there broiling.

Once he supplemented, the depression and anxiety attacks he'd been suffering went away, and the nervy, neuralgia type shoulder pain he'd had for years disappeared.

Now he no longer needs to supplement but he lets himself get some sun. And of course, now that he does that, he's not so lily white that he burns in 2 minutes either.

It's funny, I read this thread this morning and just got a call from the doctor saying the results of my blood test show me to be low in Vitamin D. He has prescribed a 50,000 IU tablet/capsule every week for 12 weeks. Then he will retest. Does this dose sound right?

I do crave chocolate and eat it daily. I never cared much about chocolate before. Could this be because of the low D?

History: Had a revision from band to sleeve in October 2008. My weight is 110, height 5' 4".

I've been taking two of these little Gummy vit D 3's for about a month now. I am at my daughter's at the moment so I can't look on the bottle to see how much is in there.

Should I stop it until I take the test or just keep taking two

since I've been doing it for a month now?

If you have been doing it for a month keep doing it and test. If you are high or low you'll need to adjust, if you are in normal range, kewl beans!

It's funny, I read this thread this morning and just got a call from the doctor saying the results of my blood test show me to be low in Vitamin D. He has prescribed a 50,000 IU tablet/capsule every week for 12 weeks. Then he will retest. Does this dose sound right?

I do crave chocolate and eat it daily. I never cared much about chocolate before. Could this be because of the low D?

History: Had a revision from band to sleeve in October 2008. My weight is 110, height 5' 4".

Usually about 10,000IU daily for WLS patients bypass and DS excluded) who are deficient. So that would be 70,000IUs weekly. Your doc is suggesting 50,000IUs weekly, close enough!

The only thing, your levels will spike one day a week and drop the rest of the week. (I'm speaking from experience) It's not a big deal but when you get to maintenance I'd be looking for a lower dose on a daily basis.

I just ordered my kit today to retest... again. First I was too low, then I was way to high, hopefully I have it figured out this time. ;o)

[quote

It should be noted that a strong craving for sweets can potentially be a symptom of Vit D deficiency.

Many studies show that obese people are severely lacking in Vit D. As we lose weight it often times becomes worse.

Many doctors still go by what used to be thought of as normal blood values of 20-50. This is no longer accurate information. We should shoot for lab values of 50-80.

I did this and realized I was severely deficient in Vit D. I started supplementing and deep bone pain is gone as well as my craving for sweets.

I am going to order the kit. Will let you all know if I test low. Anything I can find to help with the sweets cravings and with body aches-shoulders, back and knees-I am willing to try.

WASa, got any ideas about carb cravings? I am a sucker for hot buttered fresh baked bread or chips and salsa at a mexican place.:thumbup1:

I am going to order the kit. Will let you all know if I test low. Anything I can find to help with the sweets cravings and with body aches-shoulders, back and knees-I am willing to try.

WASa, got any ideas about carb cravings? I am a sucker for hot buttered fresh baked bread or chips and salsa at a mexican place.:thumbup1:

Yea WASa ... any ideas? I'm a sucker for the same things ... although I did refrain from chips yesterday at the BBQ with the homemade salsa and chile con queso ... and trust me that wasn't easy -- the only thing that stopped me was the fact I am only now on mushies ... but trust me ... I did think about it.

WASa, got any ideas about carb cravings? I am a sucker for hot buttered fresh baked bread or chips and salsa at a mexican place.:biggrin0:[/color]

For me it is all or none, if I eat one slice of bread the carb cravings are back in full force. If I don't go near it then I quit craving it. When I do indulge and I want to get back on track I do the 5DPT and that gets me off carbs and I feel better, too.

When I was a noob I couldn't do it, I just plain couldn't. All I'd have to do is look at a loaf of bread and I was history with carbs. I actually ordered groceries on line so I didn't have to walk the aisles of the grocery store. Or, I'd take just enough money for things I had to have, no check book, no credit/debit cards, nothing. One time I needed a can of tuna and I took $0.90 with me. That's how bad it used to be for me. Enough for tuna but not enough for a loaf of bread.

I blew it in every possible way this weekend. I had a horrible weekend at work, two pediatric patients - very sad things that happened to them. But I totally blew it in every possible way. I have to fess up... I was actually eating pie while running on my treadmill... I mean at the same time! :cool0:/ Right now I'm eating a salad with hot buttery garlic/cheese bread.

Needless to say, tomorrow it's back to the 5DPT for me. I have learned that I let things get out of hand and I don't let it get out of hand anymore. So for me it is all or none. I think that is true for most of us.

Oh WASa -- that is bad' date=' really bad ... and it makes me hungry for garlic/cheese bread now too ...thanks alot! :thumbup:[/b']

Oh WASa -- that is bad, really bad ... and it makes me hungry for garlic/cheese bread now too ...thanks alot! :thumbup:

It was the worst I have done since being banded originally.

You don't need garlic cheese bread, I ate enough today for both of us. ;o)

I'm cool, tomorrow is back to no white carbs. :blush:/

Wassa, dont be so hard on yourself, we strive for progress, not perfection. I know thats a Jenny Craig and a 12 step slogan but it fits in this case. I remember those bad days in Pediatrics, I had too many of those myself. One of the many reasons I left nursing and went into engineering. Its alot more fun and absolutely love telling men what to do LOL. We all havefound my comfort in food too at one time or another.

Edited by Ruthi