Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Reflections from a Fat Chick

He thought right! but we really love you that way. Tell Bob we are all waiting to hear from him. Bigs hugs to you both.

He thought right! but we really love you that way. Tell Bob we are all waiting to hear from him. Bigs hugs to you both.

HEY! I thought you were my friend? :biggrin0:

I dont know if it is just the Women in our age group...

(mid to late 20's )

but, I have read ALOT of similar stories..... including mine.

Got married in early 20's.... weight was fine, then KABLAM!

Grown Up DUTIES!

Depresion kicks in, anxiety, sadness, over-eating, and weight gain, sadness.

Having kids just adds to all of it!

Life is just a HUGE battle. I dont know if it is that we expected married life to be different or we are just exagerating, but it is soooooo hard to deal with daily tissues especialy with all this extra weight.

I am not the best person to give advice, but I sure can listen (or read) lol

I am very proud of Women Our age to take control of our lives NOW.

:thumbup:Good for you!

This will really be a NEW BEGINING for our Generation....

watch you will see!

I wish you the best on your journey and Thanx for sharing your story!

(its relieving to hear I am not alone)

Hi NewSexyMe!

I am so happy to hear from someone who has a like story to mine. It too is relieving to hear I am not alone. Lord knows I love my husband, and he has been my back-bone and unconditional love to many of my struggles; still, it is after marriage that my weight got to an all time high. I am sure it has a lot to do with the stresses of adult life.

I guess when I really decided to do something was several months ago when my hubby and I went hiking in the Hollywood Sign Hills. I literally took two steps and was out of breath. I was so humiliated! We have always done outdoor activities, but this was the first time my weight truly started affecting me. I said to myself, "I do not want to live a life like this!" I have so many hopes and dreams I want to do with my husband, but at an obese weight, I just can't see myself doing them. Also, I look at my mom and aunt (who have been obese my whole life) and I do not want to have the health problems I see them having now.

The way I see it; I want to enjoy life with my husband today. That's why I decided to do this and make a huge bill that will probably take me years to pay off. Still, I think investing in my health is one of the best things I can invest on.:hurray:

Hello everyone!

One week ago today, I had the sleeve done with Dr. Aceves. Before I talk about the best hospital experience of my life, let me just thank you all for your prayers and good thoughts. Also, a big hello to VegasAngel, Bob, and SoonToBeSkinny. I love you all.

Dr. A and his team were just as wonderful as I heard and more. I honestly went in expecting a lot becuase of the many positive things I've heard, and I was still impressed! So I want to say thank you to Dr. A, Dr. Campos, Yolanda, Ernesto, Lucy, and everyone else on this outstanding team. The hospital was beautiful. One thing that really made me feel at home was a gorgeous painting that was hung there of Jesus guiding a surgeon's hand during a surgery. It put tears in my eyes, and set the whole mood and beauty I felt the entire time I was in the hospital. Dr. A is such a nice man! He was up-front and basically said, "This WILL not work unless you do your part!" I appreciated that honesty becuase the last thing I need right now is false hope (that this surgery will magically make me thin). He and Dr. Campos came by to see how I was doing every day. The nurses were loving and warm, and took care of me day and night. My dad could not believe how great everything was. He is still raving about the experience! As many of you may know, my parents hated the idea of me going to Mexico and gave me a really hard time. My dad went with me becuase my husband had to work. I think he really enjoyed himself. He was talking to everyone way more than me! It made me laugh. He is from Honduras and speaks Spanish and he made great friends with everyone, and loved talking to Dr. A.

For those of you going soon, let me just share a little. One thing I did not expect and that was very uncomfotable was that my entire body itched like crazy after surgery for about a day. It was from the anestesia. But it was very short lived and the nurses gave me meds to help. I was very sleepy the first two days. I had to make myself get up and walk around to help with the gas and healing. The incision that had the drainage port is what made me feel not so good, but on the third day, the Dr. took it out and I felt dramatically better. I got nauseated twice and was sure I was going to throw up, but never did. The nurses gave me nausea stuff whenever I needed it, and pain stuff, so just ask and ye shall receive! I took a shower once a day, sometimes twice, and that really made me feel sooooo much beter. By the 2nd day of laying in the bed, I finally sat in a chair (all the rooms have a nice couch and recliner) and that helped my aching back. I tried to walk around every couple hours, it was easier to do once the IV was taken off the 2nd day. Like I said, the drain port made me ach, but once that was taken out, everything was easier to do - shower, walk, move, etc.

It feels good to be home. I've been on thin liquids. It has been tough for me becuase I feel soooooo weak. The first day home, it took me three hours to drink about 8oz of chicken broth. I am doing better now, but still am very weak. I pretty much lay around with a walk here and there, simply becuase I have no energy. Trying to get in all the fluids I need, let alone Protein is tough, but I see it getting better every day. I have about four weeks until I start teaching and working again. I really hope once i can get more ptoyein in, things will get better.

Any questions, feel free to ask.

Hello everyone!

One week ago today, I had the sleeve done with Dr. Aceves. Before I talk about the best hospital experience of my life, let me just thank you all for your prayers and good thoughts. Also, a big hello to VegasAngel, Bob, and SoonToBeSkinny. I love you all.

Dr. A and his team were just as wonderful as I heard and more. I honestly went in expecting a lot becuase of the many positive things I've heard, and I was still impressed! So I want to say thank you to Dr. A, Dr. Campos, Yolanda, Ernesto, Lucy, and everyone else on this outstanding team. The hospital was beautiful. One thing that really made me feel at home was a gorgeous painting that was hung there of Jesus guiding a surgeon's hand during a surgery. It put tears in my eyes, and set the whole mood and beauty I felt the entire time I was in the hospital. Dr. A is such a nice man! He was up-front and basically said, "This WILL not work unless you do your part!" I appreciated that honesty becuase the last thing I need right now is false hope (that this surgery will magically make me thin). He and Dr. Campos came by to see how I was doing every day. The nurses were loving and warm, and took care of me day and night. My dad could not believe how great everything was. He is still raving about the experience! As many of you may know, my parents hated the idea of me going to Mexico and gave me a really hard time. My dad went with me becuase my husband had to work. I think he really enjoyed himself. He was talking to everyone way more than me! It made me laugh. He is from Honduras and speaks Spanish and he made great friends with everyone, and loved talking to Dr. A.

For those of you going soon, let me just share a little. One thing I did not expect and that was very uncomfotable was that my entire body itched like crazy after surgery for about a day. It was from the anestesia. But it was very short lived and the nurses gave me meds to help. I was very sleepy the first two days. I had to make myself get up and walk around to help with the gas and healing. The incision that had the drainage port is what made me feel not so good, but on the third day, the Dr. took it out and I felt dramatically better. I got nauseated twice and was sure I was going to throw up, but never did. The nurses gave me nausea stuff whenever I needed it, and pain stuff, so just ask and ye shall receive! I took a shower once a day, sometimes twice, and that really made me feel sooooo much beter. By the 2nd day of laying in the bed, I finally sat in a chair (all the rooms have a nice couch and recliner) and that helped my aching back. I tried to walk around every couple hours, it was easier to do once the IV was taken off the 2nd day. Like I said, the drain port made me ach, but once that was taken out, everything was easier to do - shower, walk, move, etc.

It feels good to be home. I've been on thin liquids. It has been tough for me becuase I feel soooooo weak. The first day home, it took me three hours to drink about 8oz of chicken broth. I am doing better now, but still am very weak. I pretty much lay around with a walk here and there, simply becuase I have no energy. Trying to get in all the fluids I need, let alone Protein is tough, but I see it getting better every day. I have about four weeks until I start teaching and working again. I really hope once i can get more ptoyein in, things will get better.

Congrats on such a good surgery experience. My turn is in September and I am praying for a good and uneventful surgery as well! I am hopeful that you will reach your goal! I am afraid but I know this is something that I must do, I cannot control weight for a long period of time.

Thanks for keeping us posted on your progress.:hurray:

Hello everyone!

P.S. How was the flight back for you? Was it uncomfortable any motion sickness? nausea? vomiting?

Rosey -

SO HAPPY to see you post - I was wondering how you were doing. I had that itching too - it wasn't fun. Glad to hear you're doing well -- the more Protein you can get in, the more energy you will have ... I am 4 weeks post-op and still have trouble getting in all my Protein - on the days I get in more protein, the better I feel. So just try, try and try some more.

Keep us posted on your progress and ask any questions you have.

Oh yeah - tell DAD I said HI! (I'm sure he probably thinks I'm a bit crazy huh?)

HUGS

Susan

HIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII ROSE!!

I vaguely remember this pretty woman sitting on the sofa with Susan....she says it was you:thumbup:. Glad your doing well. I am also....THIS journey is starting well and I can only hope that you come along with us for the ride. I was one that did not have the itching...I'm an old drugy. So I liked the morphine:huh0: But thought it was weird that my ass was pink---lol However I had a lot of nasaua the days I was in the hospital that they glady took care of with shots...Since I have gotten out NOTHING thank god. Today I actually swallowed my pills after cutting them in half. YES I DID~~~~ Seems to me that I am now able to not to feel that full feeling unless I over do it. I do not know if I like that or not....Hope to see you post more----

P.S. How was the flight back for you? Was it uncomfortable any motion sickness? nausea? vomiting?

I live in Lancaster, CA, about 3 hours away from San Diego, so I had a friend pick me up in Sasn Diego and we drove home. More than anything, my back hurt. No nausea or vommitting. I get motion sickness anyways, but did okay. When my friend made fast turns I would grown really loud to make sure he heard me :hurray:. The seat belt was uncomfortable :sneaky2:. I tried to sleep, but that didn't really work. Once I got home and laid in my own firm bed, my back felt much better.

HIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII ROSE!!

I vaguely remember this pretty woman sitting on the sofa with Susan....she says it was you:thumbup:. Glad your doing well. I am also....THIS journey is starting well and I can only hope that you come along with us for the ride. I was one that did not have the itching...I'm an old drugy. So I liked the morphine:huh0: But thought it was weird that my ass was pink---lol However I had a lot of nasaua the days I was in the hospital that they glady took care of with shots...Since I have gotten out NOTHING thank god. Today I actually swallowed my pills after cutting them in half. YES I DID~~~~ Seems to me that I am now able to not to feel that full feeling unless I over do it. I do not know if I like that or not....Hope to see you post more----

Hi! I heard you were having some troubles, so I am But very happy you feel better. The only pill I've been able to get down was the Nexium as powder in Water. All my other pills make me feel sick, so I havn't tried to take them since the hospital. I'll try again next week. I had pink stuff all over my body too :hurray:. I havn't felt "full" on liquids, but I'm not hungry- just weak :sneaky2:. But Susan is right, I need more protein!

Rosey -

SO HAPPY to see you post - I was wondering how you were doing. I had that itching too - it wasn't fun. Glad to hear you're doing well -- the more Protein you can get in, the more energy you will have ... I am 4 weeks post-op and still have trouble getting in all my Protein - on the days I get in more protein, the better I feel. So just try, try and try some more.

Oh yeah - tell DAD I said HI! (I'm sure he probably thinks I'm a bit crazy huh?)

HUGS

Susan

Hi Susan,

You are very right, I need more protein. I'll be sure to tell my dad you said hi. He was actually very impressed with all of the people (including you) that I've been talking to online. I think he thought it was all a gimmick, but to see everyone in person shocked him.

Rosey -

HUGS

Susan

Oh, and thank you for feeding him. It put a super big smile on his face! :hurray:

Oh, and thank you for feeding him. It put a super big smile on his face! :hurray:

(I used to live in Quartz Hill)

No problem - Eyfura and I tried had to have dinner - we shared - however neither of us could eat much so we figured maybe Dad would like to eat too -- the tiny bit of chicken that I did have was wonderful ... and I would have loved to have had the salad - it looked so fresh!

Glad to hear you are doing well, Rosey! I'm another 20-something (okay, so I turned 29 today! But I'm 29 & hodling!). I had my VSG July 7th & I'm doing well!

shanda- If you are prone to motion sickness, you can ask the Dr. for a prescription for Drammamine for your flight or ride home. I get motion sickness very easily so I asked for something (well, my DH asked for something for me!) and Dr. Campos gave me a prescription the night before we left. My DH went to the Almater pharmacy across the street and filled it & got the Nexium I needed. The Drammamine was about $6.00 US.