Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Glad to have you back neighbor, hope you have a speedy recovery and keep in touch, we have a great sleeve family here.

Thanks Susan and Vegas Angel. You speak from the heart, and I hear it!!! Only those of us who have had the experience can appreciate how full of thorns the first little bit might be. I've got to say today is better than yesterday, and tomorrow probably better than today. I'm feeling genuinely hopeful at the moment. Hugs to all of you!!! Mary

Thanks Ruthie....did I mention I love your name???? My dearest Aunt Ruthie was a stalwart in my tumultuous childhood. I miss her still. So your name evokes so many wonderful, positive memories. Hugs comin' your way, Mary

Doghouse, How are you? How is your weightloss coming along? Wishing the best for you. Judy

Thanks so much Judy for you concern. I had surgery 7/2, and it has been a rocky ride ever since. Plenty of wondering if I made a terrible mistake in having surgery. Woke up sick in recovery and stayed that way. I'm on three different anti-emtics and have been unable to get Protein or fluids in sufficiently. No meds, Vitamins either. Pretty rough ride. Yesterday may have been a turning point. Was hungry for salmon patties (known as cat food cakes at our house, lol), and made some really soft ones. I ate almost a whole one. Pretty amazing. It stayed down, and felt okay going down. I am so encouraged. Today has begun well too. I was able to get oatmeal down, and it stayed down. Wow....The weight loss is almost non existant. I think my body has shut down due to starvation. Lost 2 lbs. today following eating yesterday. That's encouraging. Overall weight loss is 70 lbs......55 pre surgery and 15 post over 1 month. I'm hoping this continues to respond to the increased Proteins and I see significant weight reduction. I am exercising in moderation. Don't have a lot of energy right now. Again, thank you Judy!!! It helps to talk with someone who knows exactly what's going on. Blessings to you, Mary

Sounds as if your body has finally accepted the surgery. I am so glad you were able to eat and keep down food. Your wt loss is great. Hopefully you will be on a smoother road now. Take care. carol

I hope things go better every day.

I feel bad for so many of you that seem to have a rough recovery. I hope this is a turn around, and every day is better.

Mary, I'm so glad to hear that you are able to keep food down now. I'm sure that your enery level will be going up now too. I'm sorry that you have had a rough few days.

That is funny about the cat food patties. I will have to remember that. We like salmon too.

Hope to hear more good news soon. Judy

Mary - glad you've been able to eat and keep things down the past two days ... I hope you are right and this is the turning point for you.

I love cat food patties too ... I might have to make some of them soon now that you mentioned them.

Keep us posted on your progress!

Thanks so much Judy for you concern. I had surgery 7/2, and it has been a rocky ride ever since. Plenty of wondering if I made a terrible mistake in having surgery. Woke up sick in recovery and stayed that way. I'm on three different anti-emtics and have been unable to get Protein or fluids in sufficiently. No meds, Vitamins either. Pretty rough ride. Yesterday may have been a turning point. Was hungry for salmon patties (known as cat food cakes at our house, lol), and made some really soft ones. I ate almost a whole one. Pretty amazing. It stayed down, and felt okay going down. I am so encouraged. Today has begun well too. I was able to get oatmeal down, and it stayed down. Wow....The weight loss is almost non existant. I think my body has shut down due to starvation. Lost 2 lbs. today following eating yesterday. That's encouraging. Overall weight loss is 70 lbs......55 pre surgery and 15 post over 1 month. I'm hoping this continues to respond to the increased Proteins and I see significant weight reduction. I am exercising in moderation. Don't have a lot of energy right now. Again, thank you Judy!!! It helps to talk with someone who knows exactly what's going on. Blessings to you, Mary

Doghouse,

How are you doing now? Did all the problems resolve?

I am 62 and am 7 weeks post sleeve. Had a few bumps but nothing severe, and have lost 50 lbs from my highest weight...30 since the surgery. I felt weak the first two weeks but once on mushy foods and enough Protein, my strength returned.

This week I forgot to take my nexium one day and woke up vomiting that night...first time since the day I got home from surgery that I have vomited. Bet I won't be forgetting the nexium again.

I hope you are doing well and your naysaying friends have changed their minds!

hey im with you on that, i will be 60 next month, how did that happen, i have struggled with my weight forever, now i have high bp elevated triglycerides, borderline diabetes, arthritis, and due to the arthritis i can't do any weight bearing exercise, and they tell me the sleeve is investigational, i wish i had the money to self pay, did your insurance cover it???

Hi jeaniwantsasleeve

It seems a while since anyone responded to this topic. I would like to know how Mary (doghouse) is doing now. Otherwise, I understand what you are saying. I've had my closest friends and church members try to discourage me. But I just turned 60 last month and like you I have several "co-morbidities"- diabetes, hypertension, fibromyalgia, and arthritis. I am not ready to lay down and give up. I have some good years ahead of me and I would like to live them healthier than I am now. I will go back to the first page and tell my story. Maybe you can check it out when you get a chance. I wish you God's blessings and lots of luck on your journey.

I know what you mean Doghouse, when I told my friends and family my dughter was having RNY all I heard was a gasp and "AreYou?" and I wasnt ..then. I was denied extra life insurance and it shocked me into realizing just how much different the quality of life could be. Be strong and true to yourself and ignore the other jealous people. We might be older but that makes it all the sweeter.. we Really appreciate the second chance at healty living. Isnt this forum great, age doesent matter here everybody supports each other.I still pre op and cant wait, wishing you all the best.Carla

I'm 59 and had my surgery a month ago. I would say go for it! I think it takes longer to heal as we get older. I found the surgery to be fairly easy. I didn't have any complications and went back to work on Day 7. I'm loving my Sleeve. Please feel free to send me a PM if I don't see your questions.

I'm 59 and had sleeve surgery 6 weeks ago. I had no problems. I never took any pain meds once I was free of the hospital. I healed nicely too. I was kind of slow for a week or so after I got home but I bounced back. Once I could get enough Protein I was back to my normal self.

I am not going to die like my mother! She was obese and had many co-morbidities. She was a mess the last 10 years of her life confined to a wheel chair for 5 of those years. I plan to LIVE as well as I can! She could have had bypass surgery in the 60s or 70s but noooo. She thought it a terrible thing to do. She made her choice and I made mine.