Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have been "challanged" to share my success story and am happy to do so.

I had my surgery in Jun 08 and since then I have lost over 120 lbs and went from size 28 to size 6 petite. The restriction I have as a direct result of the physical changes to my insides has been a part of my success but there is much more involved,

The sleeve itself helps me feel full faster and stay full longer and has allowed me to develop a different relationship with myself, food and eating.

I am now mindful of my eating which was a new concept for me. I do not diet per se, that never worked before. I am however now making better choices. The bottom line is, regardless of surgery we are all responsible for the choices we make.

I am about a year about and my daily intake now averages about 60-80 gms of carbs per day, almost all of which come from fruit and veggies and what is normally foods. I do not routinely eat bread, Pasta, Cookies, cake etc. I do eat this at times but not on a regular basis. This is not because I am depriving myself of them and I don't miss having them I am just making different choices today.

I keep my Protein above 80 gms per day, usually between 80-100. I eat beef, chicken, fish, cottage cheese, carbmaster or greek yogurt and other high protein foods. I do drink a Protein Shake in the morning, not so much for the protein per se, but because I have never been a food in the morning person and this starts off my day. Before surgery my "food" in the morning was several cans of Mt Dew and in any given day I was drinking around a 12 pk of Mt Dew per day.

I now pay attention to myself when I am eating, not just mindlessly shoving food in to my mouth. I pay attention to how much I am eating, though I do not portion out my food. I did early on but no longer do. That does not mean I am not paying attention I just no longer need to measure.

I have started exercising and now walk 3-6 miles every morning during the week and more than that on the weekends when I have more time. On the weekends I generally do 8-10 miles. I gradually built up to those distances, started out doing a mile or so and kept increasing it. Walking in the morning starts my day off on a good note, helps with my awareness of myself and burns calories.

I have done a lot of work on myself related to my issues with myself, food and my relationship with food. I have done this through both individual and group therapy as well as local support groups. I highly encourage anyone with longstanding issues to do this. I also suggest finding a therapist that is familiar with issues related to compulsive overeating, obesity and related issues. I also strongly encourage getting invovled with a professionally run support group that deals with issues specific to this weight loss transformation/journey.

Losing weight rapidly can play havoc with our hormones and emotions. Having a new body meant for me working on a new body image, the messages I tell myself about my body and my identity. This is a challange I continue to struggle with as so many post op bariatric patients.

I have worked with and continue to do some follow up with a nutritionist dietican who is skilled in dealing with WLS patients. This is a powerful tool to have in your toolbox to help with continued successful maintenance of your weight loss.

This is a continuing journey and for sure it is not a sprint but a marathon.

I had my surgery in Jun 08 and since then I have lost over 120 lbs and went from size 28 to size 6 petite. The restriction I have as a direct result of the physical changes to my insides has been a part of my success but there is much more involved,

The sleeve itself helps me feel full faster and stay full longer and has allowed me to develop a different relationship with myself, food and eating.

I am now mindful of my eating which was a new concept for me. I do not diet per se, that never worked before. I am however now making better choices. The bottom line is, regardless of surgery we are all responsible for the choices we make.

I am about a year about and my daily intake now averages about 60-80 gms of carbs per day, almost all of which come from fruit and veggies and what is normally foods. I do not routinely eat bread, Pasta, Cookies, cake etc. I do eat this at times but not on a regular basis. This is not because I am depriving myself of them and I don't miss having them I am just making different choices today.

Do you log your food intake on a daily basis? I am beginning to think that's very helpful in being a success.

I keep my Protein above 80 gms per day, usually between 80-100. I eat beef, chicken, fish, cottage cheese, carbmaster or greek yogurt and other high Protein foods.

The protein intake is what I have problems with. Do you use Protein Bars? I don't eat beef, eggs, lamb, or pork so my protein sources are fish and poultry.

I do drink a protein shake in the morning, not so much for the protein per se, but because I have never been a food in the morning person and this starts off my day.

I am still unable to fit in Breakfast. I take medications and Vitamins with coffee in the AM and then am too full to put more in.

Before surgery my "food" in the morning was several cans of Mt Dew and in any given day I was drinking around a 12 pk of Mt Dew per day.

I now pay attention to myself when I am eating, not just mindlessly shoving food in to my mouth. I pay attention to how much I am eating, though I do not portion out my food. I did early on but no longer do. That does not mean I am not paying attention I just no longer need to measure.

I have started exercising and now walk 3-6 miles every morning during the week and more than that on the weekends when I have more time. On the weekends I generally do 8-10 miles. I gradually built up to those distances, started out doing a mile or so and kept increasing it. Walking in the morning starts my day off on a good note, helps with my awareness of myself and burns calories.

I have done a lot of work on myself related to my issues with myself, food and my relationship with food.

I agree. Weight loss is, to a large degree, a "head" issue and you have to be in the right place for success to occur.

I have done this through both individual and group therapy as well as local support groups. I highly encourage anyone with longstanding issues to do this. I also suggest finding a therapist that is familiar with issues related to compulsive overeating, obesity and related issues. I also strongly encourage getting invovled with a professionally run support group that deals with issues specific to this weight loss transformation/journey.

I'm one of "those" people who don't do well in support groups but I do find a connection in talking with others going through the same thing. It's the main reason I am on this board.

Losing weight rapidly can play havoc with our hormones and emotions. Having a new body meant for me working on a new body image, the messages I tell myself about my body and my identity. This is a challange I continue to struggle with as so many post op bariatric patients.

I have worked with and continue to do some follow up with a nutritionist dietican who is skilled in dealing with WLS patients. This is a powerful tool to have in your toolbox to help with continued successful maintenance of your weight loss.

Thank you for sharing your success story. I am a food addict and always will be. Learning new coping mechanisms while I adapt to smaller portions will be key to me being successful.

I keep my Protein above 80 gms per day, usually between 80-100. I eat beef, chicken, fish, cottage cheese, carbmaster or greek yogurt and other high protein foods. I do drink a Protein Shake in the morning, not so much for the protein per se, but because I have never been a food in the morning person and this starts off my day. Before surgery my "food" in the morning was several cans of Mt Dew and in any given day I was drinking around a 12 pk of Mt Dew per day.

I have done a lot of work on myself related to my issues with myself, food and my relationship with food. I have done this through both individual and group therapy as well as local support groups. I highly encourage anyone with longstanding issues to do this. I also suggest finding a therapist that is familiar with issues related to compulsive overeating, obesity and related issues. I also strongly encourage getting invovled with a professionally run support group that deals with issues specific to this weight loss transformation/journey.

nice......

Wow, Great story. Thanks for sharing. I have decided to do the sleeve and I was wondering how long was your hospital stay.How soon were you able to return to work. I wish you great success and would love to follow you progress. I am going Thur Kaiser and it a long process. So learning all I can while I wait and wait and wait.

Wow, Great story. Thanks for sharing. I have decided to do the sleeve and I was wondering how long was your hospital stay.How soon were you able to return to work. I wish you great success and would love to follow you progress. I am going Thur Kaiser and it a long process. So learning all I can while I wait and wait and wait.

This person is no longer a member on this Board.