Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Complications after Sleeve Surgery

Please tell me what complications you had after having the Sleeve surgery. Thanks so much

I had complications immediately after surgery but it was not related to the surgery, it was because I was so ill due to being banded. As for surgical complications... none. Sleeve complications, none.

Sleeves ROCK!

I gave blood at 7 weeks out and got anemic. I also was having trouble getting in all my Water that week and I ended up with a kidney stone. All in the same two day period too so it as fun stuff. :thumbup:

I had complications because I wasn't given the correct information.

My surgeon didn't tell me to take the Nexium, and my stomach was raw and left me feeling ill all the time. Due to feeling ill I stopped eating and drinking and ended up in hospital on a drip. I am now taking nexium twice daily and it seems to have settled things down a bit and I am now able to eat and drink.

During surgery, my liver was "knicked". I lost alot of blood, resulting in 2 transfusions afterward.

Theres no way I can blame my surgeon for this accident.

Reason:

I didnt follow my pre-op diet plan which would have resulted in decreasing my liver size. Due to my BMI of 73, my high weight, and my enlarged liver.. Im extremely lucky that my doctor was able to go ahead with my surgery.

So I have no one to blame for me. Now, I encourage everyone to follow that pre-op diet plan. I wish I had of done that.

Even with the complication, I didnt have any additional pain or hospital stay. I never even needed follow up care once I returned to the US. No infection, etc. I did see my doctor about a month after my surgery to check my lab work. I have too many health problems that have to be monitored, so lab work is essential.

Aside from some occasional heartburn, I haven't had any complications.

Aside from some occasional heartburn, I haven't had any complications.

//Off Topic//

Elisabeth, I want you to meet Lisa. She's a cybersweetie, not sure if she knows me from the other forum or not. We'll let her guess! ;o))))) She's a nurse too!

Just wanted to introduce you two.

//Back to your regularly scheduled proramming//

i am currently having complications with my sleeve being to narrow. my dr is considering putting in a stint to stretch the sleeve. i have extreme acid reflux, because of this.

Hi, my name is Joy. I am the 1% with major complications. I was found to have a leak 2 weeks out. I will be 6 months out on June 16th and have now lost 52 lbs. Beginning weight 190 now 139. I am only 4 ft 10 in. goal weight 115. Here is my story...

I began having back pain and trouble breathing just before my 2 week check-up. I came in and saw the nurse and she said if I was not feeling better the next day to come back in and I would speak with the surgeon. Sure enough...my 1st real meal (a 2 oz. omlette w/cheese). I felt horrible. I headed in to see the surgeon at 9 am. I had an Upper GI, CAT Scan, and another Upper GI to verify the leak. I was rushed into surgery and then spent 10 days in the ICU. Many complications followed; 2 abcess, infections, lung collapse. 4 days on the ward, 2 weeks of high fevers another admission for 12 days. IV antibotics at home for 2 weeks and I was on the feeding tube for 3 months and 1800 calories a day. So, it took me longer to loose the weight.

Now... I am up going to Curves, walking, and doing Water aerobics. I have lost 10 dress sizes (started size 20 now an 8 -10). 23 lbs from goal weight! Happy and healthier. I have a wound that still has not healed and and a rather large hernia. They want to wait to fix the hernia...so the can fix the tummy at the same time.

If anyone wants to talk about complications...I will be glad to talk.

//Off Topic//

Elisabeth, I want you to meet Lisa. She's a cybersweetie, not sure if she knows me from the other forum or not. We'll let her guess! ;o))))) She's a nurse too!

Just wanted to introduce you two.

//Back to your regularly scheduled proramming//

We can never have enough RNs! Welcome!

We can never have enough RNs! Welcome!

Thanks you two! I agree about the RN's... :lol0:

Hi, my name is Joy. I am the 1% with major complications. I was found to have a leak 2 weeks out. I will be 6 months out on June 16th and have now lost 52 lbs. Beginning weight 190 now 139. I am only 4 ft 10 in. goal weight 115. Here is my story...

I began having back pain and trouble breathing just before my 2 week check-up. I came in and saw the nurse and she said if I was not feeling better the next day to come back in and I would speak with the surgeon. Sure enough...my 1st real meal (a 2 oz. omlette w/cheese). I felt horrible. I headed in to see the surgeon at 9 am. I had an Upper GI, CAT Scan, and another Upper GI to verify the leak. I was rushed into surgery and then spent 10 days in the ICU. Many complications followed; 2 abcess, infections, lung collapse. 4 days on the ward, 2 weeks of high fevers another admission for 12 days. IV antibotics at home for 2 weeks and I was on the feeding tube for 3 months and 1800 calories a day. So, it took me longer to loose the weight.

Now... I am up going to Curves, walking, and doing Water aerobics. I have lost 10 dress sizes (started size 20 now an 8 -10). 23 lbs from goal weight! Happy and healthier. I have a wound that still has not healed and and a rather large hernia. They want to wait to fix the hernia...so the can fix the tummy at the same time.

If anyone wants to talk about complications...I will be glad to talk.

I want to talk! You can PM me if you don't want to post to the board. I am curious if you had your surgery in the States or in Mexico. If in Mexico, who was your surgeon? If you were self pay, who paid to treat the complications? Having to pay out of pocket for any complications is my big fear.

Edie

I had some minor problems during the first month following my surgery, but nothing major enough to make me regret getting sleeved. I had an awful time getting enough fluids in and ended up in the hospital several times due to dehydration. I also suffered from severe nausea, which turns out was related to being so dehydrated.

I also was having severe pain, which I thought was related to my sleeve, but it wasn't, it was just bad timing. I had developed a bleeding ulcer which was giving me fits. Fortunately, I am past all of that now and absolutely love my sleeve.

Edie, I had my sleeve at Fort Campbell KY, I have tricare prime insurance...so most was paid for even the complications. I did have a hospital bill for around 500.00 and copays...I would say I paid 1,000 or a little more out of pocket. It would have only been around 30.00 without the complications. Doing great and living and loving life!!! Down about 60 lbs 20 lbs to goal. Hernia and tummy to get done in November.