Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am 2 days post op. I originally had my band placed by Dr. Aceves in Mexicali on March 1st 2005. It worked great for the first 2 years and then suddenly I had no restriction. I went and got a "fill" from a local doctor but it turns out he must have done something wrong because when I went back to Dr. A on June 1st 2008 there was no fill in place. At that point I had gained back about 30 pounds. Armed with a fill I went home but I struggled to lose the weight. It is such a mind game! My body refused to lose and I found out I was insulin resistant.

I started thinking about getting the sleeve back in Oct 2008 I believe. I didn't think I could afford another self pay surgery and I was hit with one obstacle after another. Then I found out my insurance does cover weight loss surgery (I had no insurance when I got the band). So I started researching doctors and then a very nice lady at OH reffered me to Dr. Castro in Dallas. I met with him on May 20th, and at this time he agreed revising to the sleeve would be the best option for me. I did NOT want the bypass. So he gave me a small fill, I guess to see if I could lose a little while we waited on insurance approval. Well that little fill ended up costing me. I couldn't eat or drink hardly anything for 8 days. I finally went back to Dr. Castro and his assistant, Greg, removed all of my fill on a friday evening. That evening I had a terrible esophogael spasm. 3 more were to come over the weekend and 2 ER visits. I saw Dr. Castro on Monday and he said my band had prolapsed and needed to come out.

June 2nd I had my surgery and here I am. Sorry for the long intro.

Tracy

I am 2 days post op. I originally had my band placed by Dr. Aceves in Mexicali on March 1st 2005. It worked great for the first 2 years and then suddenly I had no restriction. I went and got a "fill" from a local doctor but it turns out he must have done something wrong because when I went back to Dr. A on June 1st 2008 there was no fill in place. At that point I had gained back about 30 pounds. Armed with a fill I went home but I struggled to lose the weight. It is such a mind game! My body refused to lose and I found out I was insulin resistant.

I started thinking about getting the sleeve back in Oct 2008 I believe. I didn't think I could afford another self pay surgery and I was hit with one obstacle after another. Then I found out my insurance does cover weight loss surgery (I had no insurance when I got the band). So I started researching doctors and then a very nice lady at OH reffered me to Dr. Castro in Dallas. I met with him on May 20th, and at this time he agreed revising to the sleeve would be the best option for me. I did NOT want the bypass. So he gave me a small fill, I guess to see if I could lose a little while we waited on insurance approval. Well that little fill ended up costing me. I couldn't eat or drink hardly anything for 8 days. I finally went back to Dr. Castro and his assistant, Greg, removed all of my fill on a friday evening. That evening I had a terrible esophogael spasm. 3 more were to come over the weekend and 2 ER visits. I saw Dr. Castro on Monday and he said my band had prolapsed and needed to come out.

June 2nd I had my surgery and here I am. Sorry for the long intro.

Tracy

I know you! ;o) I'm so glad you finally got your sleeve! You'll love it, I swear. It's like a band that actually works without all the complications and you won't slime on liquids! It's great.

Good to have you here!

Thanks girl! I am glad to be on "the other" side now. So how long do I have to sip out of these little 1oz medicine cups?

Until you want to scream "Uncle" out of frustration for not being able to take a healthy swig. ;o)

IOW, when it doesn't hurt to do so. When you are sure you can sip instead of guzzle, dump the cups.

Hi all,

I need some advice!

I was banded in Jan 2008 in TJ. Worked great for 1 yr, then suddenly problems! severe abd. pain, ended up in hosp twice, finally diagnosing a bowel obstruction due to abd. adhesions. Finally had an endoscopy which showed that my band had eroded. The surgeon here said that they would have to remove it via. traditional open surgery vs. laparoscopic . I contacted my Mexican surgeon and he says it will come out laparoscopically, so I'm sucking it up and coughing up the cash, now I'm booked for removal next week.

I am considering the sleeve! Possibly even having the Dr. perform it after removing the band (if possible). What do you all think? Anybody been in this boat before?

I'de appreciate any info and advice.

I had the band removed and was revised to the sleeve by Dr. Aceves and had no problems (unlike the band). I love the sleeve and don't regret my decision.

Ditto to what Elisabeth wrote. I had my band removed and revised to a sleeve in the same surgery BUT... you have eroded. Chances for band removal and revision in the same surgery are small. It depends on where you eroded and how much eroded.

You MUST go to a true revision surgeon. Risks for bleeding, perforation, and leaks are x3 with a revision. Not just any surgeon should be doing this.

Who is your MX surgeon?

How are all the revisions doing with weight loss now that you can eat things you couldn't with the band?

I am at a total standstill....I lost 15 imediately after the revision, but have gained it back and not losing anymore. Is anyone else experiencing this?

Nancy

How are all the revisions doing with weight loss now that you can eat things you couldn't with the band?

I am at a total standstill....I lost 15 imediately after the revision, but have gained it back and not losing anymore. Is anyone else experiencing this?

Nancy

Hi Nancy,

I've lost over 30 pounds but was never like the majority of those who post that they lose 20+ pounds a month for 2 months or more. Except for a 3 week plateau, I've settled into a trend of losing 2-3 pounds a week which is fine for me.

Do you feel restriction? Are you logging you foods? Do you eat 3 meals a day? Please give us more info so we can help you.

This is Tracy checking in. I have been on mushie foods for about a week and 2 days. So far so good, I am loving the sleeve. I have lost about 28 lbs so far since June 2nd. Not shabby! I have also been really determined and encourged to exercise since the weight is finally coming off. In the past if I didn't lose after so many weeks I would just get depressed and stop. The scale is moving therefore so am I! LOL! I will say that I am only weighing once a week on Tuesdays. Don't ask me why tuesdays. I think it is because I had surgery on a tuesday. Anyway, when I weighed the tuesday before last I had not even lost one ounce from the week previous! But I wasn't discourged because I said to myself "hey, you have already lost 25lbs in less than a month, what more can you ask for??" . So I stayed away from the scale until this past tuesday and bam! I lost 3lbs! And one of those pounds got me under 200!! WOO HOO!! I am 199 LOL!!

Nancy, when did you have surgery? Yes please tell us more details so we can help out! Are you exercising? Are you drinking Water? All those questions you hate to answer! HA! :scared0:

:thumbup:Hey Tracy!!

I am glad to see that you decided on the sleeve.....you will not be sorry!!!

I do not regret it at all....except the fact that I LET myself gain some weight back....it's my own fault and I know what I need to do....so I am going to put all I have into trying to get back on track and get to where I was when I had the sleeve!!!

Good luck with your new tool!!!

Nancy

This is Tracy checking in. I have been on mushie foods for about a week and 2 days. So far so good, I am loving the sleeve. I have lost about 28 lbs so far since June 2nd. Not shabby! I have also been really determined and encourged to exercise since the weight is finally coming off. In the past if I didn't lose after so many weeks I would just get depressed and stop. The scale is moving therefore so am I! LOL! I will say that I am only weighing once a week on Tuesdays. Don't ask me why tuesdays. I think it is because I had surgery on a tuesday. Anyway, when I weighed the tuesday before last I had not even lost one ounce from the week previous! But I wasn't discourged because I said to myself "hey, you have already lost 25lbs in less than a month, what more can you ask for??" . So I stayed away from the scale until this past tuesday and bam! I lost 3lbs! And one of those pounds got me under 200!! WOO HOO!! I am 199 LOL!!

Nancy, when did you have surgery? Yes please tell us more details so we can help out! Are you exercising? Are you drinking Water? All those questions you hate to answer! HA! :biggrin0:

Congratulations Tracy and now you're in "Onederland" ... I will be so excited to get there - I've got awhile yet, but get there I will! I'm like you - as long as the scale moves downward, I'm good ... I am excited about starting to excercise when my friend gets back from her vacation (7/23) and am hoping the weight comes off regularly.

Keep up the great work and thanks for checking in - both here and PM .. will talk to you soon!

I got to onederland too this morning, just barely but I did it and you are right about the weight loss with the exercising being a great motivator. I will get some exercise (enough to break a sweat) even if its only 20 to 30 minutes every day. I do more most of the time but there are days when only 20 minutes will have to do. I dont like to exercise anymore than I have to. In fact, I still hate it but I got those walking in place DVD's at Walmart and I find an empty office at work during lunch or down time at work and do 20 min of the Leslie Sansone and I feel good about doing it. I have to admit, it sort of gives me an energy boost mid day. Anyway I am really happy about the scale moving again. Have to leave for the gym now. bye

I got to onederland too this morning, just barely but I did it and you are right about the weight loss with the exercising being a great motivator. I will get some exercise (enough to break a sweat) even if its only 20 to 30 minutes every day. I do more most of the time but there are days when only 20 minutes will have to do. I dont like to exercise anymore than I have to. In fact, I still hate it but I got those walking in place DVD's at Walmart and I find an empty office at work during lunch or down time at work and do 20 min of the Leslie Sansone and I feel good about doing it. I have to admit, it sort of gives me an energy boost mid day. Anyway I am really happy about the scale moving again. Have to leave for the gym now. bye

Leslie's DVDs are great - keep in mind you're walking a mile in about 20 minute, so it gets your heart rate up and is good cardio -- I enjoy doing's her DVDs especially when it's 111 outside ... The 2 mile one is an ass-kicking; I got there once and have to work my way back up to it -- never made it to the 3 mile walk (YET)!

Ruthi, maybe in time you will learn to like it.

I find if I don't exercise, I get grumpy. I was able to get off my antidepressants when I started exercising regularly.