Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey guys. I agree. Clear liquids suck. I have been so weak that I can't even stand in the shower!

I had to do something to up my protien and strength, so I cheated. I tried some high-Protein Ensure and a Protein smoothie from Jamba juice. I know I was several days too early for thick liquids, so I took it very very slow. The Ensure has made me feel much better, Jamba juice not so much. I had no problems, thank God. I watered down the Ensure and only drank 1/2 of a bottle the first day, and finished it the second day. Today, I am slowly slowly trying to finish 1 whole bottle. Since the Ensure seems to be working okay for me and making me feel better, I'll stick with it. But I will not move onto the mushies until Dr. A says (I have about 12 days until that's okay). I think that would be pushing it too much. Thank God I've had okay strength today because I went back to my Sunday work (I play the organ for several masses at church).

Glad you found something to give you some strength -- how are the Ensures? Are they sweet? I had a smoothie from Tropical smoothies and it was really good; however, it had a ton of carbohydrates so I've been steering clear of them because they do go down easy.

rosey- I was the same way...so weak I could barely move while on clears, especially near the end of the 10 days. I drank a Protein shake a day earlier than I was supposed to. I just drank it slow & only had one (basically it took me half a day to finish it). But it made so much difference in my energy level. Without it, I don't think I could have been able to attend to my children that day.

Now I'm on full liquids and my strength is much better! I imagine things will just get better and better from here...I just wish I could get to whole foods already! I'm ready for some crunch! My teeth haven't had to work in a while...they're bored.:laugh0:

I don't even like full liquids! I haven't gotten any Protein in...maybe 10-15 grams a day so far. I tried a carnation instant Breakfast mixed with chocolate soy slender, and I couldn't finish it all it was so sweet. I have got to start getting in the protein. I'm going to order the nectar samples today.

I am enjoying the Atkins Dark chocolate Protein shakes. I also like the Muscle Milk Light shakes. The best thing about full liquids for me, though, is the Soups.< /strong>

I loved the atkins shakes before surgery - now they are just too too sweet. I bought two muscle milks last night - strawberries & cream and chocolate malt. Bearded said they both tasted like crap. The strawberry one was definitely to sweet for me. I thought I could dilute the chocolate malt with milk and it would be okay - but it was still too sweet -- I managed to get in about 3-4 swigs.

I guess I still have the taste for sweetness. :001_smile: I am beginning to tire of the chocolate shakes, though. I noticed netrition.com carries an Atkins Caramel shake...may have to give that a try.

I didn't care for the caramel all that much, but the mocha latte was really good (before surgery that is)

See, I couldn't drink any of them. I still can't tolerate the taste of anything sweet. I guess that is a good thing though. It would be better if I couldn't tolerate the taste of crunchy, salty foods though. That is my true weakness.

HI---

I am one of the lucky ones that have NO problems swallowing or drinking shortly after surgery. SOOOOoo I have been able to drink/eat clears with no problems. I also have had NO change in my taste buds...YEA!! I would say I am 99% back to normal after the surgery.....1% not only because sometimes I get heartburn.

Guess I am lucky----body heals quick always has.

I need some nutrition here. I cant stand the Protein drinks. I am back to work and every few minutes I get the cold sweats! I then need to sit down and let it pass. I know I'm not getting proper nutrtion. Any suggestions?

I tried the high protein Ensure today -- it's not sweet at all and not very thick either -- I actually was able to drink it - first thing I've found since surgery that I could tolerate. I got the banana shake; however I want to try the chocolate and vanilla too ... they're a little pricey - I paid $9.99 for 6 cans - but heck at this point, it's protein -- 12 g per can I think -- I don't like the carbs (31 g) but I need the protein. It's 230 calories.

Soon to be Skinny

It sounds like you are experiencing low blood sugars. You might try Propel Water for those. It won't help with your Protein intake but it has just enough sugar to knock off the cold sweats.