Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'll start by saying that I am a registered nurse and hold a PhD in education. Given my medical and research background, you can be sure that I did a lot of searching before deciding on who I would allow to operate on me.

Because I was a self-pay for the VSG revision (banding was via insurance), I looked into Mexican surgeons. The three U.S. surgeons I explored wanted $22,000 - $26,000 and that only included the surgery and one night in the hospital.

I wanted a surgeon who was certified in bariatrics, one who had done over 250 revisions, one who operated out of a clean hospital with an intensive care unit in case I needed that level of care, and one who insisted that the people taking care of me post-op were registered nurses. I also looked into complication rates and talked with others who had used the surgeons I was considering. Finally, I wanted to be sure that when I left Mexico, I would be safe to carry on with my life in the U.S. That meant making sure complications were prevented.

Dr. Aceves met my criteria. He did 3 different leak tests to make sure all was fine and kept me in the hospital for 3 nights. I had a chest x-ray, an EKG, a urinalysis, and blood work prior to the surgery and a complete unfill of my band after a barium esophagram. I was seen by Dr. Aceves, his assistant surgeon, the anesthesiologist, and a medical MD all prior to surgery.

My experience was text book and I have no regrets. If you're considering going to Mexico for surgery I highly recommend Dr. Aceves and his team.

Edited by Elisabethsew

I'll start by saying that I am a registered nurse and hold a PhD in education. Give my medical and research background, you can be sure that I did a lot of searching before deciding on who I would allow to operate on me.

Because I was a self-pay for the VSG revision (banding was via insurance), I looked into Mexican surgeons. The three U.S. surgeons I explored wanted $22,000 - $26,000 and that only included the surgery and one night in the hospital.

I wanted a surgeon who was certified in bariatrics, one who had done over 250 revisions, one who operated out of a clean hospital with an intensive care unit in case I needed that level of care, and one who insisted that the people taking care of me post-op were registered nurses. I also looked into complication rates and talked with others who had used the surgeons I was considering. Finally, I wanted to be sure that when I left Mexico, I would be safe to carry on with my life in the U.S. That meant making sure complications were prevented.

Dr. Aceves met my criteria. He did 3 different leak tests to make sure all was fine and kept me in the hospital for 3 nights. I had a chest x-ray, an EKG, a urinalysis, and blood work prior to the surgery and a complete unfill of my band after a barium esophagram. I was seen by Dr. Aceves, his assistant surgeon, the anesthesiologist, and a medical MD all prior to surgery.

My experience was text book and I have no regrets. If you're considering going to Mexico for surgery I highly recommend Dr. Aceves and his team.

Ditto to what Elisabeth wrote.

Dr. Aceves did my band and then revision to a sleeve. I think he's the best. He is a true revision surgeon, his stats are fantastic, and he is the president of the Mexican College of Surgeons so other surgeons must agree since they voted him into that position. ;o)

Plus he has a great personality and is very caring and concerned that you understand exactly everything he tells you. He's a great doctor!

I am a former lap band paitent that has eroded in DEC. '08, and had it removed by another doc. He will not reband...so i am consulting another doc who does bands and sleeves. I have insurance that covers the sleeve but the new doctor in my area (Melbourne,Florida) who does the sleeve has only done six sleeves all have been private pay and I'm the first to have ins. pay for the procedure.I am desperate due to the fact i have gained back 45 of my 110 lbs lost and I have heard great resluts from his credentials and one testimony. what does anyone else think???should i give him a chance?? he'sDoctor Domkowski, Sebastian ,Florida.

I know the doctors have to learn on someone, but I don't want it to be me. I'd want a doctor with a lot more experience with the sleeve than that. Are you forced to use him due to insurance or can you choose someone else?

I am a former lap band paitent that has eroded in DEC. '08, and had it removed by another doc. He will not reband...so i am consulting another doc who does bands and sleeves. I have insurance that covers the sleeve but the new doctor in my area (Melbourne,Florida) who does the sleeve has only done six sleeves all have been private pay and I'm the first to have ins. pay for the procedure.I am desperate due to the fact i have gained back 45 of my 110 lbs lost and I have heard great resluts from his credentials and one testimony. what does anyone else think???should i give him a chance?? he'sDoctor Domkowski, Sebastian ,Florida.

How many bypass has he done?

BTW, you are right not to get another band. If you erode once you are very likely to erode again.

How many bypass has he done?

BTW, you are right not to get another band. If you erode once you are very likely to erode again.

That just sounds down right painful.

That just sounds down right painful.

Most times the erosion itself isn't painful but the fix is. :tongue_smilie:( Surgery to remove it and repair the stomach is an ouchy.

Erosion can have painful symptoms but it usually does not.

There was a person that went to Huacuz (gahhh) and she had nothing but one problem after another with fills. She could not get restriction. Everyone thought it was a faulty band with a leak in the diaphragm of the band. She wanted to revise to a sleeve and couldn't get her insurance to help. She finally went to Aceves for a revision and turns out it was an erosion. The reason fills were not working was that stomach acid ate through the plastic part of the band and there was a huge hole there. She said that Aceves said it was the worst erosion he's ever seen. Only the buckle of the band was not in her stomach. She had a rough recovery due to the damage and repairs to her stomach. She had no pain, just reflux and no restriction.

She said that he told her it would take a good six months before her stomach was healed enough to revise to a sleeve.

Most times the erosion itself isn't painful but the fix is. :tongue_smilie:( Surgery to remove it and repair the stomach is an ouchy.

Erosion can have painful symptoms but it usually does not.

There was a person that went to Huacuz (gahhh) and she had nothing but one problem after another with fills. She could not get restriction. Everyone thought it was a faulty band with a leak in the diaphragm of the band. She wanted to revise to a sleeve and couldn't get her insurance to help. She finally went to Aceves for a revision and turns out it was an erosion. The reason fills were not working was that stomach acid ate through the plastic part of the band and there was a huge hole there. She said that Aceves said it was the worst erosion he's ever seen. Only the buckle of the band was not in her stomach. She had a rough recovery due to the damage and repairs to her stomach. She had no pain, just reflux and no restriction.

She said that he told her it would take a good six months before her stomach was healed enough to revise to a sleeve.

WOW ... the more and more I read, the more and more thankful I am that I did NOT go with the band.

I have been reading all posts since April and I have finally came across a negative comment about Dr Aceves (his location) and I wanted to get some feedback. On another board a lady said that she lives in Mexico and her husband is Mexican and he forbid her to go to a boarder town so that ruled out Aceves for her. I researched violence in Mexicali, but didn't come up with anything.

What are your thoughts? Any border crime statistics on Mexicali?