Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sleeved and Home Again

Do you know that right here in the good old USA you often cannot get a job because you don't speak Spanish. Now why is the world is that allowed?

Do you know that right here in the good old USA you often cannot get a job because you don't speak Spanish. Now why is the world is that allowed?

I totally agree. I think it is beyond stupid.

I can understand your point of view, mine is different. I do think that every hospital should provide translators there in person, for at least the most major languages that the hospital may encounter. My husband is a Dr. We have a clinic, the majority of patients are Russian, or from Georgia, Ukraine, etc...We make sure that there is always someone who can tell them what is going on and translate. If we have a patient that speaks Spanish and does not understand English and has no one with them...we make sure there is someone to help them. I think EVERY medical office and clinic should do this. I will absolutely not take or let someone give me medication that can't tell me what is is, and why I should take it. That is just logical and safe. If they had someone on the phone tell me that would help, but even that person can't see the medication. You may disagree, but if they are willing to treat Americans, they should have someone that can translate.

I disagree. It is the patient's responsibility to bring a translator.

That is your right to disagree, I think that is (no offense) a rather hard-ass approach. Many people who do not speak English family members also do not, they can't afford a translator, and they are trying to figure out what their doctor is telling them. I know of a family that we actually had someone go and translate for them at a hospital because they did not understand what was going on, they had a child dying and could not understand what the doctor wanted to do. We made sure as one of our patients that they had help. I think that is just being a good human and a great doctor.

For those of you who think this is the USA and we should all speak English...I know very few immigrants who are not actively striving to better themselves. I don't think people should be punished for trying and struggling. I too do not think people should be punished here for NOT knowing Spanish. I know I am a bit outspoken about this, but if you have never had a mother crying (asking through an employee) for help because her only son is dying and she does not know what to do, then you should not make general statements and assumptions.

Again, sorry if I am a bit harsh here.

I can understand your point of view, mine is different. I do think that every hospital should provide translators there in person, for at least the most major languages that the hospital may encounter. My husband is a Dr. We have a clinic, the majority of patients are Russian, or from Georgia, Ukraine, etc...We make sure that there is always someone who can tell them what is going on and translate. If we have a patient that speaks Spanish and does not understand English and has no one with them...we make sure there is someone to help them. I think EVERY medical office and clinic should do this. I will absolutely not take or let someone give me medication that can't tell me what is is, and why I should take it. That is just logical and safe. If they had someone on the phone tell me that would help, but even that person can't see the medication. You may disagree, but if they are willing to treat Americans, they should have someone that can translate.

They do have someone in the hospital to translate at Almater. Heck, even Dr. Campos. He works in the ER most nights (sleeps, is on call) and he's available. But I disagree that they should learn to speak our language so we don't have to be bothered learning theirs while in their country. I also do not think that when the same drug is given every six hours they need to have someone come in and explain the same thing over and over again. Just my opinion.

I really do think that it is simple manners to at least learn a bit of their language before going to their country. Americans are kind of used to being catered to in too many ways. We tend to want everyone else to please us instead of us doing what we expect of them when they come to our country.

They do have someone in the hospital to translate at Almater. Heck, even Dr. Campos. He works in the ER most nights (sleeps, is on call) and he's available. But I disagree that they should learn to speak our language so we don't have to be bothered learning theirs while in their country. I also do not think that when the same drug is given every six hours they need to have someone come in and explain the same thing over and over again. Just my opinion.

I really do think that it is simple manners to at least learn a bit of their language before going to their country. Americans are kind of used to being catered to in too many ways. We tend to want everyone else to please us instead of us doing what we expect of them when they come to our country.

So long as there is someone there I have no issues, and so long as it is the same meds and I can see the labels. I am more concerned if it is something new, or if what they give me is making me sick, or some other problem. I don't expect to be catered to, simply to have someone there that can understand my needs should it arise.

That is your right to disagree, I think that is (no offense) a rather hard-ass approach. Many people who do not speak English family members also do not, they can't afford a translator, and they are trying to figure out what their doctor is telling them. I know of a family that we actually had someone go and translate for them at a hospital because they did not understand what was going on, they had a child dying and could not understand what the doctor wanted to do. We made sure as one of our patients that they had help. I think that is just being a good human and a great doctor.

For those of you who think this is the USA and we should all speak English...I know very few immigrants who are not actively striving to better themselves. I don't think people should be punished for trying and struggling. I too do not think people should be punished here for NOT knowing Spanish. I know I am a bit outspoken about this, but if you have never had a mother crying (asking through an employee) for help because her only son is dying and she does not know what to do, then you should not make general statements and assumptions.

Again, sorry if I am a bit harsh here.

Yes, we disagree.

I live in AZ and this state is the worst state for illegals. The stats are amazingly high, our state is on the verge of bankruptcy. Our social services is stretched to the max. People come here illegally, get free medical care, and then they decide that isn't enough, the medical care has to be in their native language.

India is the 2nd biggest population of illegals, each state in India speaks a completely different language. Which one is the major language? Noooo, our county hospital has to provide in person translation for each states language. We could be using that money for medical care. Instead, they lost the lawsuit, hired the staff, and raised our property taxes to pay for the county hospital.

It just gets old.

Now, don't misunderstand... I'm all for people coming to the US! I think it's great. But I think it would be nice if the folks moving here would do so legally. If they come here illegally they are already breaking the law so it doesn't show a great deal of respect for our country.

The statue of liberty does suggest coming here. It doesn't say come here illegally, break many of our laws, demand free housing, free medical care, and free education for your children. That was never the concept of the great Lady.

Well I agree that people need to come legally. My husband came from Taiwan and had to jump through so many hoops that we both feel strongly about that. My cousin and a good friend are all with the government border patrol. However, my point was there are many people here legally trying to better themselves and people need to realize that not everyone is illegal and there are people here trying that need help.

The people I know would never sue over phones vs. live translators, they have a hard time justifying getting a lawyer after a auto accident. They just want to be able to understand, the same as I do in Mexico.

I am sorry your hospital had such problems. I would not say that is typical though, would you?

Well I agree that people need to come legally. My husband came from Taiwan and had to jump through so many hoops that we both feel strongly about that. My cousin and a good friend are all with the government border patrol. However, my point was there are many people here legally trying to better themselves and people need to realize that not everyone is illegal and there are people here trying that need help.

The people I know would never sue over phones vs. live translators, they have a hard time justifying getting a lawyer after a auto accident. They just want to be able to understand, the same as I do in Mexico.

I am sorry your hospital had such problems. I would not say that is typical though, would you?

Arizona is a bit different from other states. We had a proposition a couple of years ago that the illegals and do-gooders got together and sued over that. The prop was that you had to be a US citizen to vote in our elections. They didn't want that prop going before the voters. They lost, but the point is they tried. It's normal here.

I'm a little shorter fused (is that a way to use that phrase! HA) than I probably would be if I was a little further East, like ... New York. The problems are very bad here. Seriously bad and they aren't getting better. Just worse.

That goes for the entire Southwest Bubble. We all share the problems and then wonder why the states are going broke.

I can imagine that in AZ you have an overabundance of illegals, I am in Oregon, we have quite a few here also, but probably not nearly the same. I thought you did have to be a citizen to vote...I know my husband could not until he became a citizen. Is it just they register illegally or what? I don't understand how you can get around that. No worries about having a short fuse over the matter, like I said everyone is entitled to their opinion, I feel just as strongly about mine as you do yours, thats what makes USA so great right! Anyways, we got a bit off topic lol. But hey getting off topics once in a while is kinda fun!

Well, in the US, most surgeons I've heard about don't charge for a hiatal hernia repair if you are self-pay. It's only a single cut and 1 stitch!

I'm not surprised Almanza charges, but I'm surprised Zapata does.

I was not going to mention names, but yeah in Dr. Zapatas paperwork it says it was $500 to repair if you had one.

Well, in the US, most surgeons I've heard about don't charge for a hiatal hernia repair if you are self-pay. It's only a single cut and 1 stitch!

I'm not surprised Almanza charges, but I'm surprised Zapata does.

I am getting more and more disappointed in Zapata. I've always been a fan but I don't like some of the stuff happening lately. The bogus claim of 600 sleeves, charging for the basics, those things.

It's not really a single cut, it's more of a single stitch. They can be bigger and need more sutures but if it is too large it is not uncommon to have the WLS done later.

I was not going to mention names, but yeah in Dr. Zapatas paperwork it says it was $500 to repair if you had one.

I knew he charged but I guess I didn't know how much. I suppose with the economy the way it is doctors are getting hungry. I'd expect this from Almanza, not Zapata.