Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Trouble getting protein in

Hi, I'm having trouble getting all the Protein in. My NUT and surgeon recommend 80-90 grams per day. I'm not a big meat eater at all. I don't eat steak, pork chops, or even a chicken breast. I can eat a small amount of shredded chicken or ground beef, or canned tuna...but that's getting old quick. I still haven't found a Protein shake that I like either. So I would really appreciate some suggestions of how I get boost up my protein intake without feeling like I'm eating a whole animal.

Thank you!

Unfortunately, unless it's meat or Protein shakes, your options are very limited. You could add more nuts and Peanut Butter but that's not nearly enough.

If I were you, I'd find a Protein shake that you do like and start experimenting with different recipes to find some meat based ones that you do like. Protein is so important, not only for satiety but to help prevent hair loss too.

I try to drink a Protein Drink. (Costco ) to get 30 grams in by noon. Often a Protein Bar. I happen to go online and order so I can get a decent Protein to calorie ratio. Then later on the day for me a tuna /chicken/ yogurt/string cheese

Hope you find what works for you. It is trying to get in 70 grams of protein a day. But worth it!!

You could have cottage cheese or even eggs. But I usually have my shakes, chicken, and fish. When I started out I was making all sorts of omelets. Omelets which were your traditional, and then I was getting creative adding crabmeat and Monterey cheese. They were yummy.

If you don't like the Protein shakes, maybe you could try Isopure - they come in glass bottles at GNC and they are a Water consistency with flavors I have tried orange & this pineapple one. It has 40 grams of Protein. They kind of taste like a Kool-aide sort of it does have a little aftertaste - but it's doable! Just a suggestion.

Sent from my iPhone using LapBandTalk

seitan is a great meat alternative, just watch how much sodium is added. I prefer Spirulina overall, it's high in Protein and gives a boost in energy.

Make your own Protein smoothies with the flavors and ingredients you like and taste good to you...I also have pure Liquid Protein supplements....taste like crap, need a strong chaser like OJ after drinking a shot of one of those....but it works.

I don't eat much, and I get way more protein then I need sometimes.

Make your own Protein smoothies with the flavors and ingredients you like and taste good to you...I also have pure liquid protein supplements....taste like crap, need a strong chaser like OJ after drinking a shot of one of those....but it works.

I don't eat much, and I get way more protein then I need sometimes.

you got to find ways to (get it)

i start my days off with a Protein Shake that is 28 grams per scoop plus the 8 grams for the milk i use, and that gets me off to a good start on my quota for the day.....i eat lean Protein first and its mainly beef/steak or chicken breast..and i have been known to drink shakes whenever because the one i use, i happen to love love the taste...i also eat a high protein bar if i want a snack...just find ways...look online like i did and print out a list of high protein foods and have at it...good choices and creative combinations

you got to find ways to (get it)

i start my days off with a Protein Shake that is 28 grams per scoop plus the 8 grams for the milk i use, and that gets me off to a good start on my quota for the day.....i eat lean Protein first and its mainly beef/steak or chicken breast..and i have been known to drink shakes whenever because the one i use, i happen to love love the taste...i also eat a high protein bar if i want a snack...just find ways...look online like i did and print out a list of high protein foods and have at it...good choices and creative combinations

I agree, the Protein Shake is almost a must to get enough of your Protein in. I also, have a protein shake for breakfast. I mix my with Water, 1/2 banana and few pumpkin seeds and frozen strawberries. Yummy enough that my husband has one, too!

I agree, the Protein Shake is almost a must to get enough of your Protein in. I also, have a protein shake for Breakfast. I mix my with Water, 1/2 banana and few pumpkin seeds and frozen strawberries. Yummy enough that my husband has one, too!

What kind of Protein powder do you use for your shakes, Carolina girl?

14.95 a tub...28 grams per scoop (+ Protein in ff milk i use)

comes in vanilla, Peanut Butter, strawberry..

this is my fave....i drink 1 per day and sometimes 2 or 3......as i said it

tastes good.......and toss in my vitamixer with ice and make my own wendys frosty......and yes, my dr okay'd it for inquiring minds :)

450.jpg