Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

April Bandits 2006 May talk

Hi Fiona, I've missed you. Congratulations on moving to your new home. I think it's wise to put the scale away, it can put too much pressure on you. Going to see a nutritionist is a smart move. We have had a lot of rain here, but it is a nice day here in New York. Take good care of yourself Fiona, and mention that lump in your throat when you see your doctor. Let us know what he has to say.

Roberta

Hey guys-

Just had my 4 week follow-up. I get to move to stage 3 or regular foods today. I am psyched. I have lost 15lbs since my surgery on 4/26. My doc was surprised since most patients who have lapbands don't usually lose during the mushies. I am a little scared to start regular foods as I have eaten very little carbs or sugars over the last 4 weeks. It takes all day just to get my Protein in. I am scheduled for a fill on the 6th of June but he said that I might not need one yet because I am not eating too much according to him and the nutritionist but I am afraid my weight loss will stall. Any one else who may not need filled right away?

Deb

Hi Guys, i have still only lost 14 lbs and had my first appointment on Saterday. First fill after 4 weeks 2cc. The fill did not hurt at all and i definately have restriction now for the first time. Hope the weight will start dropping again now. I have started walking everyday on the treadmill but can only do about 17 minutes...hehe...still it's more than what i used to do!! I NEED to see some changes now as i am in dire need of inspiration. How can one eat so little and still not loose? I do however feel better and have lost plenty inches....but i am a scale's person - SHOW ME THE NUMBERS!! Good luck guys - may we all get there in the end! Fiona - keep the faith girl!!

Amourette and Eflica... I am now 7 weeks post-op and I was told that you should not expect great weight loss until your first adjustment. Once you have a fill, the weight should start to drop more. You will not lose a lot of weight until you have reached your point of restriction. I just had my 2nd fill today. After the first fill, I still noticed that my food intake was getting larger, so they decided that I was not restricted enough and did another adjustment today. I had 1.2 cc's the first fill and .7 cc's today. Don't be down about your weight loss. Not everyone loses a lot in the beginning. Just keep it up and it will come off.

Thanks for the kind words, well I feel better now, I just had my 5 week check-up and he did a fill right on the spot for me........I was spluttering away..........saying what now? Kinda good maybe as I didn't have time to think or psyche myself out. He said this is why I am hungry, yes I know you all told me hehehehe!!! So I get another weekend off and then can start flying on MONDAY, am pleased as it is my mum's birthday so I can spend some time with her..............So I am hoping this week will be better..................I feel I have something to look forward to, I am one kilo off being under 100kgs...........

Hugs to you all

Fiona:clap2: :clap2:

I just had my first fill on Monday and am hungrier than ever! I know sometimes it takes awhile to feel the restriction....the nurse said if I do not feel it soon, I should come in sooner for the next fill. He put 1.4cc in a 4cc band.

Hi all,

I have not had my first fill yet. It will be 4 weeks tomorrow since my surgery. So, I called and left a message on my doctor's voice mail saying "please schedule me an appointment for a fill". I can't wait, because right now I don't feel like I even have a band. Well, that is not entirely true. I cannot eat bread as it causes major pain. I have also noticed that I cannot drink anything with ice or that is real cold or it hurts. Does anyone else have that problem?

Hi Susan, unfortunately I can eat anything even bread, and can drink anything cold. I hope my fill next month will put an end to my ability to eat too much food.

Roberta

Fiona, does having a fill require you not flying for a certain amount of time? I am scheduled for a fill on the 8th and have a flight on 6/12. I want to know if I have to cancel my fill since I already paid for my tickets.

How are you doing since your fill, can you tell the difference?

Roberta

Well, I had my first fill yesterday and BOY was it time. I'd been so hungry and able to eat absolutely everything and in large quantity. I tried not to, but I didn't always succeed.

I have a VG band (holds 10+ cc's) and they gave me 6.2 (it had 4 in it from surgery, so it was an additional 2.2). I'm on liquids/mushies for 2 days, so I don't really know how this adjustment feels yet. For any of you who are worried about the fill process, it was NOTHING. I'm not sure I'd have even felt it if the NP hadn't said "you might feel a pinch." It was less pain than pulling an eyebrow hair.

I'm down 26 lbs -- would have been more were it not for all the nachos :heh: I ate last week.

I'm off to the gym tonight to make amends.

Take care all,

Hello Everyone, I was Banded on April 3rd and I have stopped losing.. I had my first fill 4 weeks after surgery (may 3rd) I had lost 19lbs since my fill I have only lost 4 lbs.. 4lbs in 3 weeks isn't much at all.. I was given 4cc during surgery and my fill was 1.6cc making it a total of 5.6cc in my VG band.. should I go in for another fill? I really want to lose faster but my husband thinks I should wait another month for a fill! (self pay) I am afraid that I'll gain weight. I don't understand because I think I have ok restriction, I dont know maybe I have to give my body time to catch up..

Wendy

Banded 4-3-06

-23lbs so far

Dr.Verboonen..(I know the name sounds scary) but he's a nice guy..lol

Tijuana MX.

Roberta I don't know about the flyng....but I was due to fly today and he preferred I didn't.......but I will go on Mondyay............I think I will only get a fill when I have a few days off on the ground to get used to it, isn't it funny how all our bodies are different, I am not hungry at all again, couldn't get down the chicken dinner I had prepared for mum, had very bad sliming, so back to liquids today!!!!

Hello everybody,

just want to say hi and take care. Im off to Greece for two weeks. Cant wait for their great food:-) and the sea!Hopefully since I will be away from scale I will lose a lot:-))

Have a good vacation Eva.

Wendy: With Lapband surgery the weight loss is 1-2 pounds a week, so you are pretty much where you should be with your 4 lb loss. Remember this is supposed to be a slow process, not like GB surgery. Congratulations on your great weight loss.

Hey April bandsters! I was also banded in April (4/18). I agree with you guys, I am not super impressed with the loss so far. But, my doc warned me that making the transition from liquid to mushies then to real food takes the body awhile to get straightened around and it usually results in slow loss at first. I'm hoping to be "over the hump" soon!!

So, how's it going for everyone so far? Anything strange that you weren't expecting? The only thing I really struggled with was a weird week of feeling really depressed. It was bad. I really think my body was releasing extra hormones or something. Does that sound crazy?? At any rate, after that one week I am feeling better.

I'm a little worried because I can feel that my belly is pretty healed and I can eat a lot more than I could three weeks ago. Are you having this too? I am thinking I may need my first fill already. YIKES! I am afraid though. The thought of not being able to swallow my own spit really scares me so I don't want too big of a fill by accident.

Well, let me know how you're doing. Thanks!