Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Quiche recipe!!!!

Hello all, I have been banded 4 weeks now, to those who haven't met me yet on here.........this is the best site, and has helped me so much , I couldn't have done it without all you guys and thank u so much!

My question today is, my mom is coming to my new house for dinner tomorrow nite and I am just starting to eat normal food again.........want a low fat recipe for quiche, other ingredients I have are perhaps artichokes, smoked salmon and feta cheese , any suggestions please as I wanna impress my mum, as she made all this happen for me and was my big support!!!!!!

Hi to you all

Fiona aka amourette:clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

I have a great quiche recipe but it is not low fat. You could probably modify it if you are creative that way.

I don't have a quiche recipe, I always go out if I want quiche, but I can suggest a great ingredient trio. I had an awesome crumbled bacon, cheddar, and jalapeno quiche the other day. It was at a restaurant so I don't have the recipe, but those three ingredients were surprisingly awesome together. They also used Filo for the crust, so I had no problems eating it. I took about 80% of it home and split it with DH. He refuses to eat quiche, says it's "foo-foo" food, and hates jalapenos/spicy, but he loved it and begged me to take him there for lunch the next day so he could have it again.

Try recipes.com. Search for quiche, and narrow by low-fat or add it to another search run if you don't get the hits you're looking for.

Buy a pie crust, I use the ones that come in the box. Mix at least 6-8 eggs with fat free half and half . You can use some egg beaters if you want and you can use some skim milk if you want. However do use some half and half to hold it together. Drain frozen spinach really well and add it with some mushrooms. You can also add green onion if you want. Bake it in a 350 oven for 1 hour or until set and golden. Grill the salmon and serve it on the side.

That sounds REALLY good.

Has anyone had any issues eatting this? I hear alotabout bands and eggs dont mix. I havenot tried it too scaredbut I LOVE quiche and havenot had any in nearly 2 years!

I've not had problems with eggs, but I can see how they might be a problem for me someday, for one because of how easily they slide on down (before you can chew them) and for two, like hamburger, you can only chew it so much.

I eat the quiche at the restaurant I talked about every two weeks or so and I've never had any problems. Their's is particularly creamy & well blended, and goes down more like custard. And I can't say enough good things about their filo crust. :D

okay then a quick Greek recipe:

you put inside a bowl (small bowl for stove)

4 pieces of Tomato, up there some slices of feta,

some origanum, and you put it in the stove for 20 min

till feta being melt. its a quick delicacy!

just be careful the peel of the tomato! Good Appetite :D

- 1 pkg mrs. callender's piie crust (2 crusts)

- 1/2 lb pasteurized crab meat

- 8oz mushrooms sauteed with 4 shallots and a pinch of thyme

- 8 eggs

- 1 pint half n half (can use the fat free one)

- 1 lb swiss cheese (i used half emmenthaler half gruyere) grated

- 2 tbl sp chives

- 1 tbl sp worstershire sauce

- salt & pepper

directions:

- in blender blend together eggs, half n half, worstershire sauce, a little salt n pepper (be careful cause cheese has lots of salt). set aside.

- take crusts out of freezer, layer in one layer of cheese, one layer of crab, one layer of cheese, one layer of sauteed mushrooms on top. repeat in other shell.

- pour the egg mixture over ingredients in shell, then sprinkle the chives over the mushroom layer and egg mix for color.

- bake at 350 for 50 mins - 1 hr. center should be wobbly but a knife inserted should come out clean.

- let quiches rest for 15-20 mins before cutting, or else it will run.

this recipe is basically a method. you can substitute any ingredients for the cheese meat veggie parts. there's no way to go wrong, you layer the fillings and add the egg mix till it's at the top. so the proportions will always work. you can substitute the salmon and spinach for the meat and veggie parts but be careful of the smoked salmon bc it is very salty. i wouldn't put that with feta cheese cause that is very salty as well. you may consider goat cheese (which is hi Protein and much lower in fat) or cream cheese which always tastes great w salmon. just cube either one and layer with the salmon and spinach. i made the crab n mushroom version on sunday for my mom on mother's day and it was a hit. good luck!

PinkMary, do you know what the states' version of Origanum is? My grandfather was from Greece & when he died he left me his mother's cookbook. It's all handwritten in Greek. I know enough Greek to translate it (I think!) but Origanum has confused me for some time.

When I look up Origanum I find either "Greek Oregano" or "Marjoram". From what I've read, Marjoram and Oregano are similar but not the same. I've been using Marjoram in the recipes that call for Origanum (e.g. gyros), but I'm not sure I'm using the right thing.

Pardon my butchering of Greek, but maybe you can help. Is what you call Origanum the same thing as Ρίγανη or Δίκταμος (those are the Greek words the cookbook has)?

And sorry for the detour...

:focus:

Origanum the same thing as Ρίγανη or Δίκταμος (those are the Greek words the cookbook has)?

yes origanum = ρίγανη (righani) :D

i don't really know whats the states version! i can send you by real mail

if you want! feta without rigani is an orphan feta! or body without hands :)

Wheetsin what is Filo. I have problems with bread so maybe I could try Filo?

Big Paul, I am going to try that recipe. That would solve the bread (crust) issue for me.

Thanks all!

PinkMary that sound loverly! I love Greek salads minus the lettuce lol so this is right up my alley!