Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How do you handle being "full" but still wanting to eat?

This is one of those things that still gets me- I am full, but i want to keep eating. I mean, that's how i've been my whole life, how do you change such a long-standing habit?

Any insight would be appreciated.

I just get up and walk away from the table and try to keep myself occupied so I don't obsess on eatting more. Reading seems to work best for me...if my mind is engaged in a book, I don't think about wanting to eat more.

I don't think there is any trick...you just have to push through the feelings in whatever way works for you.

I used to struggle with that, too.

The way I've overcome it is by measuring my portions so that I never have more than a cup of food in front of me- so I'm starting with a band sized portion from the start. Then, if I'm still tempted to eat more, I remind myself that over-eating is common cause of both esophageal dilation and slips and I sure as heck don't want either.

Usually, reminding myself of the possible complications from over-eating is enough for me to walk away from the food.< /p>

If I'm really hungry, I will wait a bit and drink a Protein Shake or Water. That usually helps. A few times you just might find me drowning in the deep end until reality come back to me and I stop and recover. I will say the better hydrated or full I am the better I do. If I wait too long between meals I'm like a vampire with their kill. O.o So to avoid, water and Protein shake! :P

i agree with shazam but i know if i eat more than what my lap band is telling me i might as well go to the bathroom and wait for the spit up as i call it. i take what i didnt eat and just throw it in the trash. i know in about 10 min's my brain will be satisfied and happy. it takes just a min. to throw it away and if you have to, put it in the garbage disp. don't save it . it will only make your brain go to it in the refrig. Protein Drinks are a great way to fill satisfied in between meals if you have to.

Hi there. I was just banded about 3 weeks ago but I am still learning. What has helped me is to have a small plate. The rest of my family uses a regular dinner plate and I use a saucer. Even at a restaurant, I use the bread plate and move the amount of food I can have off of the big plate onto the small plate. Even though I am eating a small amount, I eat so slow that I am done the same time the rest of my family and friends are done. That way I don't have to worry about over-eating.

The only time I have had trouble eating too much was when I went to the restaurant and was too proud to eat off the little plate. I did not get sick but I did feel bad the rest of the night. I also try to focus on my goal and think that the food I want to eat is not as good as reaching my goal will be.

Good Luck!!!

Hmm...I know what you mean - I've been overeating my whole life also. Especially if it's something that I really enjoy eating, like pizza or Pasta. But you know...ever since I got my band restriction right, I don't want to keep eating after I am full. It's like someone turned on the switch and it all makes sense now. Sometimes I don't even finish my band-portion mean because I feel full or start experiencing my soft stops.

How is your restriction? Are you in the green zone??

well it is def mind over (food aka matter)

i just merely remember what i looked like not long

ago...i have 2 pics (one one my profile in green and one with me and my ole man and us both in a skirt was wearing)...makes me stop......that and the fear of hurting my band/plication some how by over eating.

well it is def mind over (food aka matter)

i just merely remember what i looked like not long

ago...i have 2 pics (one one my profile in green and one with me and my ole man and us both in a skirt was wearing)...makes me stop......that and the fear of hurting my band/plication some how by over eating.

This is one of those things that still gets me- I am full, but i want to keep eating. I mean, that's how i've been my whole life, how do you change such a long-standing habit?

Any insight would be appreciated.

Do actually FEEL full???? Many people say they do...I for one have never "FELT FULL" since getting the band.....the band limits the amount of food I can take in....Green Zone = Portion Control....so since I am no longer eating anywhere near what I used to, I can never get that old full feeling anymore...

What the band does do, is take away my hunger, and my desire to eat....it's mental..the band tells my brain I'm full, without actually feeling full...so the brain say "No More"...even if I have not eaten in 12 hrs...I still have no real hunger....

But back to your question,,,whether I want to continue eating or not...the band will not let me! Sooner or later I grew to accept it so that, and Cravings...grow more and more distant....the habits disappear...

For me, there is no trick or gimmick at all.....it's ALL about the band....and that's why I had the surgery.