Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just home from the hospital...

....surgery wasn't too bad but holy crap the gas pains are brutal.

Only one thing I can say gasx will be your new friend!

The only thing that would relieve the gas pain for me was

1) Heat on the upper body (shoulders, chest, I used a heating blanket)

2) laying with head flat, pillows under legs and hips.

It helps move the gas so it isn't as uncomfortable in the upper body area. Gas was definitely the most brutal part!

....surgery wasn't too bad but holy crap the gas pains are brutal.

My surgeon's advice was to walk 5 times a day. Yes, 5. For me that was every 90 minutes. I was able to walk for 10 minutes each time. But even 3 minutes would be a benefit.

It gets your body's juices moving. Just do it :)

I found it helpful for structuring my day, as well.

You've only just begun and things get really exciting as you start seeing the weight fall off!!!

This too shall pass (a little joke in there to make you laugh!).

~hiddn

walk, walk, walk...and feel better soon!

Congratulations! Hope that gas escapes ASAP and you get some good healing sleep -- you are on your way....here's to new beginnings, new chapters opening. And here's to a speedy recovery!

walk' date=' walk, walk...and feel better soon! [/quote']

It's true - walk, walk, walk ... The gas pains where the worst for me as well, didn't go away until day 8. I did lots if walking & the heating pad was my BFF

If your familiar with yoga at all, try the happy baby pose. Works wonders! And of course walk walk walk

walking always helped me

Hmm I have a thought. I hear that the gas pains are very intense fir done people post-op. I wonder if I were to take gas x before procedure as prevention if this might improve it.

Hmm I have a thought. I hear that the gas pains are very intense fir done people post-op. I wonder if I were to take gas x before procedure as prevention if this might improve it.

I don't think so since they pump the gas in you to do the surgery, plus they want you to have nothing by mouth

Also the pains are caused by gas that is pumped into your abdomen (outside your GI tract) during surgery. They let as much as possible escape thru the incisions before they close you up in surgery but some is always left and must be absorbed by your body, cannot be expelled by passing gas since it is not inside your intestines but just hanging out in your abdomen.Must walk, change positions often, and give it time. You might also have intestinal gas from air swallowed but that is not usually what hurts after laparoscopic surgery.