Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

HELP!!!Acid Reflux at night and GURGLING!!! HELP!!!

Hi all..

I have been banded since April 2012 and have been very successful so far. I love my band and have worked hard to lose 53 pounds....yeah!!! The past two weeks I have had some acid reflux at night and some "night cough". Last night was the worst! I don't think my band is too tight and I am not eating late. I

Luckily I have an appt with my doctor tomorrow to see what he says. I cannot go another night thru that hell. Does anyone have any ideas? This is normal for some people right? I also tend to get some gurgling noises during the day in my throat...

Please help!!!!

Hi all..

I have been banded since April 2012 and have been very successful so far. I love my band and have worked hard to lose 53 pounds....yeah!!! The past two weeks I have had some acid reflux at night and some "night cough". Last night was the worst! I don't think my band is too tight and I am not eating late. I

Luckily I have an appt with my doctor tomorrow to see what he says. I cannot go another night thru that hell. Does anyone have any ideas? This is normal for some people right? I also tend to get some gurgling noises during the day in my throat...

Please help!!!!

What you are describing is NOT normal for someone with a band. Coughing at night is often a symptom of reflux, and it can increase the risk for aspiration pneumonia.

It is great that you will be seeing your doctor tomorrow.

Eating too close to bed time is not the only factor to cause nighttime reflux. Even drinking fluids close to bedtime can increase nighttime reflux.

I have experienced those symptoms, and the only relief I have had is to limit eating to no less than 3 hours before bedtime. I also wait 1-1.5 hours after taking my evening medications before going to sleep.< /p>

These symptoms should be addressed ASAP, as if not resolved could lead to additional issues with your band.

Best wishes to feel better...

sleep on some pillow or in a recliner. Sounds like classic symptoms of a dilated pouch. Since you're already going to your doc there's not a lot you can do right now. You might consider going on liquids until you see your doc.

PS - Night coughs and acid reflux is not normal for some people. If anyone as that they need to take it seriously.

Hi all..

Please help!!!!

Reflux and coughing at night = BAD

Means either a little saline removed or all of the saline removed or band removed/fixed, depending on the severity.

Could be a dilated pouch, dilated esophagus, Hiatal hernia, slipped band, or just too tight.

Good luck

Reflux and coughing at night = BAD

Means either a little saline removed or all of the saline removed or band removed/fixed, depending on the severity.

Could be a dilated pouch, dilated esophagus, Hiatal hernia, slipped band, or just too tight.

Good luck

Thank you Dr. Most physicians examine the patient before issuing their diagnosis and determining their treatment plan. J/S

As the others stated above, reflux and night cough are not something to ignore or take it lightly. It's a really good thing you're going into see your doctor tomorrow.

I think you got some good advice above to get you through until your appointment- like not eating a couple hours before bedtime and sleeping on a slight incline. I would also consider something like Prilosec or Zantac before bed tonight see if that helps.

Good luck at your appointment tomorrow. Let us know what happens.

Thanks everyone...I am hoping fit the best. What does a dilated pouch mean? Now I really won't sleep!!! I have been able to eat and have not been throwing up...

Thanks everyone...I am hoping fit the best. What does a dilated pouch mean? Now I really won't sleep!!! I have been able to eat and have not been throwing up...

A dilated pouch is when the part of the stomach above the band is stretched. It's most often caused from over-eating.

Hey ktsped, I just wanted you to know I am thinking of you and I hope it all works out. I remember we were banded on the same day. Try to stay as relaxed as you can because stress is certainly not going to help you especially if you are one of those ones who have their band tighten up when stressed out.. I know it's easier said then done.

I also know most everyone who replied to you had nothing but the best intentions for you but sometimes getting on here and asking when things are not going well can just add more worry. It could be a 100 things and it could be nothing. I am happy to hear you will be seeing the Doc. Only then will you know what is truly going on.

Please let us know how you make out.

The band makes me freak out about things but I had acid reflux and night coughs BEFORE being banded when I got sick. Just another wonderful thing to add to my list. But it is always best to rule out anything band related :)

Just FYI...I did not mean to scare you, but wanted you to take this VERY SERIOUS. Many have not in the past and would use a band aid of PP's, sleeping in recliners, etc.

Once that reflux starts to shoot up in your nose and mouth...if that is happening...that is SERIOUS and needs attention ASAP...you are doing the right thing by seeing your surgeon, and you need to tell your surgeon the EXACT symptoms, sometimes -- getting a small amount of saline out will resolve any issues ....

I am not diagnosing your issue, but this IS VERY COMMON in long term lap banders, and it can be managed sometimes with PP's, and changing your diet, but sadly....this only helps up to a certain point until surgical intervention is required.

Most people start out with an Upper Gi -- to learn the status of their bands.

Again...good luck.

Just FYI...I did not mean to scare you, but wanted you to take this VERY SERIOUS. Many have not in the past and would use a band aid of PP's, sleeping in recliners, etc.

Once that reflux starts to shoot up in your nose and mouth...if that is happening...that is SERIOUS and needs attention ASAP...you are doing the right thing by seeing your surgeon, and you need to tell your surgeon the EXACT symptoms, sometimes -- getting a small amount of saline out will resolve any issues ....

I am not diagnosing your issue, but this IS VERY COMMON in long term lap banders, and it can be managed sometimes with PP's, and changing your diet, but sadly....this only helps up to a certain point until surgical intervention is required.

Most people start out with an Upper Gi -- to learn the status of their bands.

Again...good luck.

You have no right to say all these things that could be wrong. It could be something as simple as gastritis or it could be too tight. You are way out of boundaries putting up diagnosis when she has not even seen her doctor. Don't fret about it until you see your doctor. Anyone can tell you anything but no one knows except your doctor.

You have no right to say all these things that could be wrong. It could be something as simple as gastritis or it could be too tight. You are way out of boundaries putting up diagnosis when she has not even seen her doctor. Don't fret about it until you see your doctor. Anyone can tell you anything but no one knows except your doctor.

Some times we are blind with the messinger....

If you can take the time to CLEARLY READ my post...

It mentioned -- Could BE....and I will repeat one more time....this could help someone else that is serious about their lap band and its longetivity.....

This is not diagnosing her problem, I am just simply saying based on experience AND what I've seen in thousands of other lap banders over the years...just saying....

And you are right...we don't know...what it is...she needs to get diagnostic testing to find out which problem it is....but based on what I've seen over the years...Horrible Acid reflux and coughing....has been one of those issues above that I've listed....

Well based on my many years in healthcare and teaching nutrition to lapband patients it COULD be should never be brought up here. We are not doctors to say what it COULD be and every post you make to people is so negative that they are probably going to lose their bands. Take all your 100 years of banding out of your head because it means nothing. Your experience is only that YOUR experience. You have not right to tell newly banded people that this is what it could be. You should only be giving encouragement not telling people how you failed at the band and had to have it put in twice. We all are not like you. I would say 95% of us are not like you. If you don't have any good advice to give then don't give any. All you are doing is putting fear in these new banders and that is not right. I don't know what high horse you rode in on but you need to stop it. You come out of no where after how many years and now because you needed two bands everyone else will fail. Sorry but its not true.

Well based on my many years in healthcare and teaching nutrition to lapband patients it COULD be should never be brought up here. We are not doctors to say what it COULD be and every post you make to people is so negative that they are probably going to lose their bands. Take all your 100 years of banding out of your head because it means nothing. Your experience is only that YOUR experience. You have not right to tell newly banded people that this is what it could be. You should only be giving encouragement not telling people how you failed at the band and had to have it put in twice. We all are not like you. I would say 95% of us are not like you. If you don't have any good advice to give then don't give any. All you are doing is putting fear in these new banders and that is not right. I don't know what high horse you rode in on but you need to stop it. You come out of no where after how many years and now because you needed two bands everyone else will fail. Sorry but its not true.

Who are you? And you don't tell me who to respond to....I've been a member here over 7 years and long before you thought about a lap band...

Oh...I see...as long as OTHERS say...it sounds like Classic Pouch dilation...but if I say MORE...then I am putting fear into newbies...

Newbies -- NEED FEAR and to be cautious with their bands....the lap band HAS A VERY HIGH COMPLICATION RATE....HAVE YOU NOTICED THIS?...

I've seen SO MANY PEOPLE lose their bands because they IGNORED Acid reflux and choking...thinking it's not serious and does not warrant attention from their surgeon...

Many think...Oh I had reflux before the band...Band reflux IS TOTALLY different and ALWAYS INDICATE A LAP BAND PROBLEM....please don't try to encourage others to IGNORE THIS......and make them think things are going to be OK if they ignore lap band reflux...

It can be managed and treated in a few cases...but for others that ignored reflux ended up with emergency band removal...I am not talking about ASSUMPTIONS HERE I AM TALKING FACT...

If you don't like TRUE ADVICE...please avoid my posts....I am not here to scare but some people would like to KNOW how to avoid reflux and treat it immediately if it happens.

I don't have to scare or warn anyone -- I have a brand new band, with very good restriction with no issues....as a very experienced lap band veteran, I feel it's my duty to warn others and not just skip posts like these...

Again...if you have a personal problem with me... please ignore my post...AND PLEASE find someone else to argue with.....

If anyone cares about their band they should read this...and the responses about lap band reflux ...and avoiding complications...

http://arturorodriguezmd.com/lap-band-slippage-causes-and-prevention/