Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

June 2006 Band Crew

melissa lea,

all the time pre surgery, my surgen's office told me that they put saline in the band at the time of the surgery. originally, they told me the amount would be 1 cc. then when i got there for the surgery and asked again about the amount that they were going to put in there, i was told, they would put in however much it took for the band to have a good secure tight fit. after surgery i asked how much they put in and they said 3ccs. i was more than shocked because i began to remember what people on here had to say about being too tight. but then i figured, they (the surgeons) know best. at least they should. so, 3 ccs it is.

as far as taking the bites and eating slow.... i count the number of chews that i take. i try to chew everything at least 20 times. i want the pieces to be small enough to make it through the stoma. don't want anything getting stuck. and i am sure i won't have to do that forever, just until i get into the groove of this banded life. according to my surgeon's staff, i should be on soft foods for 3 weeks before i switch to regular food. is that the norm?

barbara465-that pb stuff is crazy scary. remember, i had an episode of pb with those grits. i thought i was going to die and that my esophagus was going to shred. then i thought, why did i get this band and do this to myself. i was miserable for the rest of the day. the next day was better. i guess that is another reason why i am being more cautious now. i guess in a way, it was good for it to happen. it put "the fear of the band" in me.

Christa,

Thank goodness I read all the posts for months so wasn't surprised when it happened. I was taken back by the intensity of the situation and how long it lasted. After all, I was doing what I was allowed to do and it happened. That was what really shocked me. I will learn never to take a bite for granted and always allow it to have my full attention. That was definitely no fun.

This waiting time for that first fill is just very depressing...Makes you question everything and wondering if it will actually even work...After losing the first 2 weeks and then nothing i just have been so upset about it all...I know i need to try to have patience...But August 4th just can not get here quick enough for me...So I guess I am right up there with some of the other June bandsters...Depressed, Depressed, Depressed!!

christa - there is no precise norm for fills and for post-op diets. Every Dr. does it a little different from the other. My surgeon does the large VG band, with no fill during surgery, which means that you are wide open with no restriction after surgery. I have no problem with pre-banding meal sizes right now. I get my first fill in two days. Post surgery he has us on two weeks liquids, one week mushies/pureed food, one week soft food, then slowly adding solid foods with a list of solid foods that are easily tolerated to try first, then a list of foods that are sometimes found difficult by some bandsters next, and a list of foods that are often found difficult by banders to be tried only after you've added the other solid foods without any difficulty. He has lots of suggested meal plans and guidelines, recipes, etc, to help you out for each stage of the post op diet. He also gives us the official booklet from Imamed who makes the bands with their guidelines and info as an added resource, though he covers the same information in his booklets and handouts, plus a lot more detail. A lot of the time with some Dr.'s is what the Dr. chooses to do will vary from patient to patient, once they get inside they can see how your stomach is, some people have very little fat attached to the stomach, and a smaller stomach, and the Dr. feels a smaller band, and/or a band with a fill is a better starting option. Or to place a large stomach and/or a stomach that is thicker around because of attached fat deposits with a larger band. Some Dr.'s vary which band they use based on the stomach width around. Other Dr.'s have switched to only using the large VG (vanguard) band, and then just adjusting it with the fill level - since it's a 10cc band with an 11cc capacity. Some Dr.'s will add a fill to the VG band right away during surgery for a small width stomach, others like my Dr., always just put the large empty band in, and then sneak up on restriction after healing with regular fills. Is there one way that's 'better' than others? Who knows! I just think it's good to go with a Dr. who has an approach that you feel comfortable with, and to trust in their experience with their methods. I'm doing my best to eat like I have restriction now, but I've definitely had a few very large volume meals - healthy, low fat, low cal - but huge vegetable salads with cottage cheese, followed by fruit, so I know I have the same large stomach capacity from having no restriction, everything passes right by my large wide open band, it's like I haven't had surgery at all. So until I get filled to restriction I'm choosing to count calories and fat/carbs/protein/fiber intake to try to keep me on track!

My NSV's

-The motor home we're currently travelling/living in has a tiny little bathroom like a closet, with a really small entry door, I used to have to -squeeze- in through the door, now I just brush the sides!

-I had to buy a new swimsuit because the one I had was getting a little loose! I'm usually on the cusp between a 2x and a 3x, but the 2x fit great. In fact, I seemed to be on the cusp between a 2x and a 1x! but the 1x was a little too tight still and I wanted to feel comfy right away in it, so I went with the 2x.

-Some of my skirt waists seem to be hanging a little low on my hips!

-My two favorite dresses are ones I had custom made, 1950's style, they have a tie around the back that sinches the waist in a bit and makes a wide bow in the back.. the bows seem to be getting a little bigger as I have more left over tie ribbon!

So we got toilet papered by the July crew! Should we retaliate?! I think we should go egg them!

XO

Leila

When I read the posts of people losing 20 - 30 pounds, I feel jealous.

I'm just past 10, and yearning to have a big drop.

Maybe after my fill?

Yup me too Randi - I'm really battling feeling hunger vs head hunger. I'm eating too many sunflower seeds.

Hey June Crew, I am getting my first fill today. I can't wait. I just got back from Vacation and I was able to eat anything but still not big amounts. I did gain 2 pounds back but I know that was from my poor choices. I have gone from a size 22 to a 18, which are now becoming loose. I can't believe it, I have been stalled on the scale though for about 2 1/2 weeks so I am soooo ready for this fill. Remember our motto guys for those who are waiting for their fills and don't have restriction, "Just because we CAN, doesn't mean we "SHOULD"!!!! You guys are all doing great!!!!

I have gotten really bad about posting. I would love to get to know the fellow Junesters. I have not been online as much as I used to because I irritated the muscles around my port, so I have been trying to mind my p's and q's so that the pain would go away! How is everyone else doing??? I have lost a total of 14lbs since my surgery on 6/19. 34 lbs total. I am hoping to increase my exercise now that I have gotten things under control. I am averaging about a cup of food per meal. I'm not scheduled for my first fill until 8/15. Which seems like forever. My weight has actually come to a complete standstill. Any advice on getting a bit more loss before my first fill???

Do you guys think we should do a return TP and egging on the July crew????

I definitely thinking an egging is in order. We need to find some colorful egg graphics like easter eggs. Umm let's starting looking.

Hi Heather. After 2 weeks post op I too had a complete stand still on the scale for almost 2 weeks. I didn't let it bother me. I had lost about 12.5 pounds the first 2 weeks. I figured that my body just needed to catch up on things and to heal. Towards the end of the two weeks the and my 5th week post op the scale started to move again. It's been slowly nudging down since :clap2: .

I agree Barbara --they need a good egging.

Melissa Lea

Hey Melissa,

I'm trying hard to not let my standstill get to me. I feel the lbs are going to start falling off soon. At least I hope so. I am just now starting to get rid of the soreness I have been having. Thanks for the words of wisdom. I never thought I would be one to to get discouraged so easily, but here I am discouraged. I need to go to the recipies page and get some ideas.

Avilla, I know how you feel. I was banded on 6/20 and I don't believe I have much restriction right now. Just really trying to watch what I eat. I can't wait until my fill date on Aug 1. Just can't get here fast enough!!!!

Hmmm. A friendly egging for the July crew sounds like it might be in order.

Terry :D

Thanks! I feel so much better reading all your posts. I was banded June 5--and lost 9 pounds--then this morning it looks like I've gained 2. I've been eating good foods--but a lot! I get my fill from Dr. Kuri on Thursday. I sure hope it works!

Deb :faint:

Hi everyone,

Just checking in. I was banded on June 19th, as of today, I have lost 30lbs including pre-op (10lbs before, 20lbs after). I keep losing and regaining the same 2 lbs :D . I'm trying to eat good foods, if its junk food like McD's than its a hamburger happy meal with an apple juice or Water. I'm doing my Dance Dance Revolution at least three times a week.

I'm still around too. It's going slower than I hoped, but its going so I'm glad. I lost 8 lbs. before surgery and have lost 8 more since. Do any of my fellow Ortiz-ites know if he puts any Fluid in at the time of the operation? I never asked because I didn't realize any doctor did that. My scars are healing great and I'm trying to exercise more. I do get hungry, but I finally get real food this Thursday! I hope everyone is doing good!