Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

June 2006 Band Crew

Leila,

Thanks for all the good information. I'll ask my PCP about the B12. I guess its more expensive that way, but DH wouldn't have to give me the shots anymore. The liquid for the shots is less than $5 and the cost for needles is not much. I do like the convience though of the tongue melties.

Sounds like you are on a real adventure. Glad you are getting to travel and enjoy this time. Check on the internet for Water aerobics. There are varied exercises you can do in the pool and you really get a workout. You may be able to join up with a group where you are or vary your own routine to incorporate some of these exercises.

I get my fill tomorrow and I hope it is everything I want it to be and none of the problems I've read about.

Randi, we can't go back in time, I'm only 37, but I have had regrets a few times that I didn't do this much earlier. Unfortunately we can't go back, we can only go forward. It's fantastic that you are doing this for yourself. We can't regain our youth, but we can regain our health. You have many many years ahead of you, and without obesity related issues, likely many more than you would have if you didn't get the help you needed with banding. I've been looking at some Plastic surgery sites and shows too, and thinking wow, you know some of these people look like models after all the weight loss and multiple plastic surgeries. The reality for me is, things are going to sag, hang and wrinkle, and I'm not able or willing to surgically 'correct' them all. Beauty comes in many forms. I'm going to try to be proud of my scars and my breasts, even if they're lower and flatter than I'd like. I'm going to do my best to focus on the health and well being aspect of it. Oh, and food obsession, definitely, and it's not going to go away... I think trying to stop my food obsession personally would be like trying to stop a freight train, so I'm going to try to become obsessed with healthy food, healthy recipes and choices, and try to make my obessession work for me instead of fighting it.

You're right, life is hard... sometimes it can downright suck... LOL, but, it is what it is, and it's what we've got to work with! We should all be proud of ourselves for doing this for ourselves, it was a huge step for everyone to take, I'm sure. It's a huge event in my life series, I'm going to try to make the very best of it. ... Okay, I'll stop swamping this thread today!!!!

XO

Leila

hey ya'll:p !!

i can definitely notice some restriction today. all i've had today is a cup of homemade chicken Soup (my mother is awesome!) and i'm so full. i'm burping alot too. if i'm hungry later on, i'll try to test out some squash casserole.

cutiern:D

Watch that burping. I thought that was a sign of being too tight. Glad you've got some restriction. just be careful. I'll join you tomorrow in restriction land I hope!

I too am a foodaholic. Have tested the band with various different foods, no pizza yet, but would love some. Rice is not good for me, nor soft breads. First fill is July 25. I have a medium band and have some restriction, but can manage to eat a fair amount of food when hungry. It's nice to know I'm not the only one testing the waters! I think it's like a kid trying to see how far they can get, before learning just how far! It's a habit and cycle that's been used for quite some time, and hard to break. I believe that when we've reached out goal, food will not be such a big issue. (I hope) Now my time is taken with, what to fix, what to eat, what to buy to eat, how to fix, etc, etc. Eventually, I'd like to just not think of it until it's time to eat.

Those of you having need for B's. I've been drinking an 'XS' Energy Drink for a year now, one a day. No need for shots! You can check it out at www.Quixtar.com Many flavors, no carbs or sugar on most. I like Cran/Grape and Cherry the best. I have RA so NO immune system. They give me energy, and keep the swelling down, and just LOADED with all B's. The carbonated ones, I just open one the night before and it's still the greatest. Although carbonation doesn't really effect me. Wonder why we shouldn't have them?

I'd also like a good restriction on my first fill, but am afraid of being tooooo tight. Don't know if Dr will use fluo or not. My large incision isn't healed yet, stitches came out of half so am still open. Started healing yesterday, but draining and open again today. With all my health problems, I had to do some talking to even get the band. RNY was out of the question. Thank goodness one Dr knew some of my health issues would go away if I lost a significant amount of weight!

Keep telling us about your fills....................................

ofps

:clap2: Congrats to all of you banded last month. :clap2:

I've been reading your thread for weeks now and i'm glad that alot of you are doing so well.

I was banded 7/5/06 and i thought who better to ask questions to than those banded last month.

:help::help::help::help::help:

1. did anyone have trouble breathing after surgery? (taking deep breathes) If so, when did this finally go away?

2. How would you describe how it feels when you're full? Because i'm still sore and swollen a little its hard to tell what's surgery discomfort verses hunger or fullness.

3. Who would say that they have healed 100%? And how long did it take for you to feel that way?

:phanvanSorry for all the questions. I'm part of the july bandster thread but my surgery was one the first ones and we are all really new to this. :)

Any advice will help. I feel pretty good for the most part. Just alittle painful when i move certain ways.

again,

CONGRATULATIONS TO YOU ALL!!! :clap2:

I was banded on June 21st. It took about 3 days for the breathing not to hurt. Also I am unsure what the full feeling feels like. I only eat about 2 oz of food to make sure I don't get sick. That seems to satisfy me so I leave it at that. I think I am healed but I still get very tired through out the day.

Welcome July5forme and sbaker. Now the journey begins. Make sure you are getting enough Protein to keep you from getting tired. Drink your Protein Drinks even if it takes you all day. That seems to give you energy.

You won't feel the "full" feeling in full force until you get a fill. However, some bandsters feel it right away after surgery. That's because they are swollen. Don't worry if you don't feel it, just don't overeat. Overeating can cause you to have pain and other side effects. Just eat 1/2 cup to 1 cup, depending on what your doctor says. Most are on liquids and then mushies for a while so its not an issue.

Hope everyone else is doing well. Today's the day. I'll let you know how the fill goes tonight and what all this hard mass is in my tummy.

I too am a June Bandit

6/6/6 in Boston

Got my first fill yesterday and I still do not feel all that much restriction. I am a big tester of the waters and have found that there is nothing I cant eat- which is not a good thing at all.

I need to get into this and really start working it but I feel like the tool is just not kicking in yet.

HELP

PAB

PAB,

Don't test the waters for a few days after the fill. Give your stomach a chance to adapt to the fill. Some don't feel the fill for a few days and up to a week. Go on liquids/mushies for a few days after the fill. When you start back on solids, eat only bandster portions. Then after a few weeks if you feel no restriction consult with your doctor. Some are agressive at fills and some are not. It usually takes several fills to find your "sweet" spot.

Good luck, Barb! Am interested in finding out what your lump is all about??

Tell us all.

I'm having trouble with some food not wanting to go all the way down without drinking a little sip. Did they put something in the throat? I notice that I have to carry a card for EMS stating that they cannot put in an airway! What gives?

Hey ofps,

Obviously I have the same card you do. Mine doesn't say a breathing tube. They can't put in a nasogastric tube. The tube that goes from the nose to the stomach to help drain the stomach. Attached to suction, it is usually used after major surgeries because the bowels aren't moving yet so it is a mechanical aid. The breathing tube is way different. The NG tube can't be placed because it can affect the placement of the band or it can damage the stomach if pressure is applied when they fee as though they hit resistance.

Hope this makes sense!

Hi all, I'm doing great, have 75% of my appetite back. Addicted to sunflower seeds. Haven't started exercising yet but today my US doctor (Dr. Billy in Ventura, CA) gave me the greenlight to exercise, do sit ups, swim, everything! He will give me my 1st fill on the 26th - said he is pretty conservative on fills but I will only be 4 weeks post op so THANK GOD I can get one at all!

July5forme, I had the deep breathing problem, too.:faint: It was the last thing and I still feel it a little bit, especially after I drink something cold. I still feel the port area but not really pain just some mild discomfort. Two of my scars are almost completely healed and have almost disappeared.:clap2: The rest are well on their way. I feel pretty good, maybe 80-90% healed but I think I still have a little to go. I feel some restriction but this past week I have started to feel kinda hungry.:hungry: It's hard to tell the difference between physical and mental hunger. Sometimes I just drink a cup of Water when I feel physically hungry and that helps.:)

Hi There !

So glad ot see everyone posting and very happy that everyone is doing well.

Laura (Housecatgirl), I understand about the hunger thing. I fight off the head hunger. My rule of thumb has been, if my stomach isn't growling (and it has), then I'm not eating to eat. Yesterday I was so hungry. I actually went to bed hungry. I'm so ready for a fill. So glad that I have it tomorrow (yippeee!!!).

July5forme ....it took me a good week for the breathing to return to normal. Keep doing your breathing exercises and that helps. The mornings were always the worst for me.

Keep up the great work Junebies ....so glad I'm on your team!!!

Melissa Lea

weight.png

Spivak

06/09/06

Self-pay