Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Couch to 5k

Is there anyone else out there in band land that is over 300 lbs and has tried couch to 5k? If you have then how did you do?

I can't speak for those over 300, but I will say that I have done the couch to 5k and loved it. I downloaded a free app on my IPod c25k and followed it. The nice thing about it is that it starts off slow and over a period of 8 weeks you gradually increase the amount of time running til you run more than you walk. I finished the program in August and still run for at least 30 minutes 3-5 days a week. I signed up for my first 5K the other day too! Running is a love/hate relationship for me, but the best part is seeing what I've accomplished! you can do it, you never know if you don't try!

I can't speak for those over 300' date=' but I will say that I have done the couch to 5k and loved it. I downloaded a free app on my IPod c25k and followed it. The nice thing about it is that it starts off slow and over a period of 8 weeks you gradually increase the amount of time running til you run more than you walk. I finished the program in August and still run for at least 30 minutes 3-5 days a week. I signed up for my first 5K the other day too! Running is a love/hate relationship for me, but the best part is seeing what I've accomplished! you can do it, you never know if you don't try!

[/quote']

That's what I did I downloaded the free app on my iPhone and I'm going to try it. Never hurts to try :-)

I am doing it and just finished week 5...running for 20min straight! Have never ran for more than 2min straight before this program. Would you believe I did it!?!? Its amazing how easily your body can adapt and how quickly! Its the best feeling ever and I am not a runner! I say try it!!

If you want an accountability partner or someone for encouragement to share the journey with let me know!!

Today is my dreaded 20 minute run.... I'm scared and excited to see if I can actually do it!

I am actually doing the couch to 10k program (which is the same as the 5k just a little longer)

Remember this:

Even if you start feeling tired push yourself to go just a little further because trust me, you'll surprise yourself with how far u can run!

Today is my dreaded 20 minute run.... I'm scared and excited to see if I can actually do it!

I am actually doing the couch to 10k program (which is the same as the 5k just a little longer)

Remember this:

Even if you start feeling tired push yourself to go just a little further because trust me' date=' you'll surprise yourself with how far u can run![/quote']

No kidding! I never thought I could do it, but then realized if I went into it with that mind set I never would. It took me 2 tries, but on the 2nd try I got it and it felt amazing!!

Good luck! I'm sure you've got this! It's amazing what your body can handle. I just kept repeating, "it's not your body giving out, it's your mind"

Let me know how it goes!

If you want an accountability partner or someone for encouragement to share the journey with let me know!!

Lol yes I would love to have someone to share with and for them to do the same! :-)

Lol yes I would love to have someone to share with and for them to do the same! :-)

Did you ever start the C25K? Next week is my last week and while I haven't nailed down the distance exactly I have done the time they told me to. Going to work on my speed next!

Did you ever start the C25K? Next week is my last week and while I haven't nailed down the distance exactly I have done the time they told me to. Going to work on my speed next!

Goodness you are doing wonderful! No I haven't but I need to get my butt up and do it. Do you feel better now that you have done most of the C25K?

Yes - I had kind of hit a stall in my weightloss and the moment I started C25K the weight started dropping off again. I highly recommend this program. Never realized how much of a full body workout running was. Up to running 25min straight this week. Probably one of my proudest accomplishments!

Yes - I had kind of hit a stall in my weightloss and the moment I started C25K the weight started dropping off again. I highly recommend this program. Never realized how much of a full body workout running was. Up to running 25min straight this week. Probably one of my proudest accomplishments!

Oh wow that's a long time to run! When you first started could you alternate the running and walking?

I'm not over 300lbs, but I just started the app this week. It's definitely not easy, but It's worth it! This is my second day, You run for 60 seconds, walk for 90 and you alternate like that for this week.

Is there anyone else out there in band land that is over 300 lbs and has tried couch to 5k? If you have then how did you do?

I was around 315lbs when I started my C25k program. I wasn't really sure about doing it but I'm glad I did. I did the 9 week program and ran my first 5k in August of this year! Its made running an addiction for me and I still run 3x a week. Its def an awesome program and gets you ready to run a 5k!!