Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I lost my job today

Lay offs because my company is shady and they finally got caught... Anyway, my surgery is still a go for 9/17 but I lose my insurance on 9/30.

I will be talking to my surgeon to see what the cost for follow up visits and fills is since that's obviously a key factor in success.

Can anyone recommend a cheap insurance in CA that will cover visits/band fills?

No, but what I DO recommend is asking the doctor if he/she can add "some" saline during surgery because your insurance is running out... Thy way, if it takes a little time to find a place, at least you would have already had some restriction. Most doctors don't add during surgery, if yours is one if those, he/she might make an exception. Good luck with surgery.

I assume you will be able to file for unemployment? Do they offer insurance in CA with unemployment benefit? Here in MA and NH they used to offer what was called Cobra insurance. It was a little expensive but it was good.

With my surgeon I go so many followups as part of the surgery. Check with your insurance person at the band doctors office.

Be prepared to pick up COBRA. I lost my insurance after my lapband surgery and because I had a lapband I couldn't get private insurance from ANYWHERE! Even if your surgeon includes a period of time for follow-ups, you'll still need insurance just in case of complications.

COBRA is pretty expensive, but when my band slipped and I had to have surgery again, COBRA was A LOT cheaper than the ER visit, the tests to find out what was wrong and the ultimate second surgery!!

my surg included one year of follow up or 7, which ever came first. After that i had to pay $250 per visit. That was until i Bitched and carried on about how he was charging out of pocket people too much.... So i got him down to $150 per fill/visit.

Talk with surgeon office. I received 6 months of free post op visits. But my doctor's fees are $300 per visit here in Santa Barbara if you don't have insurance.

Best wishes on job hunting.

I assume you will be able to file for unemployment? Do they offer insurance in CA with unemployment benefit? Here in MA and NH they used to offer what was called Cobra insurance. It was a little expensive but it was good.

They offer Cobra here but it's in the neighborhood of $500/Mo!!!!

See if there is a way for your surgeon to bill your follow-up visits up front, at least the first 6 months and ask them to give you a fill during surgery. I was banded with 3cc's and that helped me tremendously in the beginning. I'm sending positive thoughts that you will have a job with coverage in a short amount of time. At least you won't have to worry about rushing your recovery and you are getting in before your insurance cancels.

They offer Cobra here but it's in the neighborhood of $500/Mo!!!!

That's just insane. So as it is you make less when on unemployment then you would a job then they charge you even more for medical insurance. System is really ass backwards....

That's just insane. So as it is you make less when on unemployment then you would a job then they charge you even more for medical insurance. System is really ass backwards....

I know :( visits are $135 for fills and $100 for a visit and no fill without insurance. I'm gonna see if I can get some type of coverage through EDD?

I know this probably isn't what you want to hear but it's honest.

If I were in your situation, I wouldn't go through with the surgery at all unless I had a definite way to get the aftercare necessary. Doctor visits and multiple fills aren't optional- they're mandatory. Being compliant with post op follow ups and doctor's instruction is crucial to be successful with the band. This is especially true in the first couple months after surgery. It's pointless to put yourself through surgery if you don't have a definite way to pay for the necessary care after.

Good luck. I truly hope you find a way to make it work.

I agree with Missy. I would hold off on the surgery until you have a new job with health coverage. Being unemployed is stressful. Making a lifestyle change and re-learning how to eat is difficult. Going through both at the same time sounds daunting.

I wish you the best and I hope you will find a new position very soon.

I also agree. I have a friend who had her band done in mexico and then she couldnt find anybody to maintain it. She initially lost 80 lbs but without maintenace gained most of it back. She now has found a doctor in dallas that will fill her and I think shes doing better. The band without fills is like an innertube without air.....no good to you at all.

I know this probably isn't what you want to hear but it's honest.

If I were in your situation' date=' I wouldn't go through with the surgery at all unless I had a definite way to get the aftercare necessary. Doctor visits and multiple fills aren't optional- they're mandatory. Being compliant with post op follow ups and doctor's instruction is crucial to be successful with the band. This is especially true in the first couple months after surgery. It's pointless to put yourself through surgery if you don't have a definite way to pay for the necessary care after.

Good luck. I truly hope you find a way to make it work.[/quote']

Oh I've waited YEARS for the surgery theres no way I'm postponing. I have a supportive mom and boyfriend who will help with any costs and life style changes!!!