Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am on day 10 on my liquid diet and have cheated most of my way thru...by cheat I mean, I ate a little here or there. Am I the only one that has done this. I feel terrible about it. My surgery is coming up on Thursday. What is the main purpose of this diet anyways?

What gets me about the pre op diet, and I know its necessary for some, is that if I had the will

Power to not eat for 2 weeks and stick to shakes I wouldn't need the band. Lol

I'll find out tomorrow what my doctor recommends. Good luck.

LOL Fit2btied....I totally agree. Anyways, I'm just hoping it's not too detrimental to my surgery this week. My doc just said that its important to not eat so that my pancreas is smaller during surgery and that I lose a little weight before surgery. So I hope that he can't tell too bad that I have cheated on this liquid diet.< /p>

From day 3 until day 12 or 13 I was good on my liquids, with the exception that I was starving so I added 2 eggs for dinner every night. I was so worried about it but I guess it wasn't a huge deal. Some people don't even have to go on them. On mine I lost 26 pounds in the two weeks. Good luck! :)

From what I was told the pro op diet is supposed to shrink your liver.

LOL Fit2btied....I totally agree. Anyways, I'm just hoping it's not too detrimental to my surgery this week. My doc just said that its important to not eat so that my pancreas is smaller during surgery and that I lose a little weight before surgery. So I hope that he can't tell too bad that I have cheated on this liquid diet.

No...it's not your pancreas that has to shrink, it's your liver. And he can absolutely tell if you cheated badly...if the liver is still fatty, he might decide to close you up without getting the band. I don't mean to scare you, but that's the reason for the diet, and those are the ramifications if you cheat too much.

What you should do is make sure you get all the info you need, very specific post op foods to eat, and when to graduate to mushies and real food. You do not want to guess about what you can/cannot eat while you are healing. Make sure the doctor/office gives you everything you need to be successful.

It's a real pet peeve of mine when newbies do not have all the info they need to be compliant. You are probably OK since it sounded like you didn't cheat badly but I would suggest you call the doctor's office and tell them what you have done and let them decide if you should still have the surgery or if it would be better to delay it and get compliant this time around. Good luck and remember...compliant bandsters are successful bandsters.

yes it shrinks your liver by up to 25% IF you follow the diet and go into ketosis (not ketoacidosis, ketosis, like in Atkins diet). if you need to cheat try 1-2 times a day IF you are drinking at least 4 of the bariatric shakes a day( my dr gave me bariatric advantage) of the atkins chocolate Peanut Butter Meal Replacement BARS. I know you can't change the past and i am not trying to drag you down, but by shrinking the liver it makes it easier and safer for the surgeon to place your band. and they will know by the lack of weight loss preop and will know when they do surgery. turns out people who have excess fat have fatty livers. my surgeon told me if i could not stick to the diet to call and they would give me suggestions..and that this was critically important. call your surgeon, their nurse or the dietitian they sent you to. good luck deb

ps i made it because i looked forward to those bars 2x ;s a day..and i even hate regular shakes. re: vanilla..i did not like it but starbucks and Walmart have sugar free syrups you can add to them..i was told you can add crystal light to them. for me on post op day 7 i stick to the chocolate and mix it with a ninja or magic bullet (otherwise they are unbearable) and freeze them for 1 hr then let them thaw in fridge..they taste better to me deb

I am on day 10 on my liquid diet and have cheated most of my way thru...by cheat I mean' date=' I ate a little here or there. Am I the only one that has done this. I feel terrible about it. My surgery is coming up on Thursday. What is the main purpose of this diet anyways?[/quote']

I think it depends what you ate. The purpose is the shrink the liver, if you cheated your liver might not have shrank enough to do the surgery. I got very sick during per op and could drink shakes fir a few days, I ate plain grilled chicken and some eggs at the Dr suggestion. I was ok. I think its a problem if you eat fatty foods or carbs

You dont have to worry...it is to shrink the liver but not all drs. require it. Some do and some dont so that tells us that it is not "mandatory". Just a preference of the doctor to make things easier for surgery. My dr was one of them who said..."it is kind of an oxy moron to ask an overweight person to go without food for 2-3 weeks, if they could do that they wouldnt be needing the surgery in the first place. " Just do your best and try to abide by your drs. wishes. Dont beat yourself up if you slip up just get back on track and try again.

I will be starting my liquid Diet on the 2nd of October. Does this mean that I have to quit my coffee?!?!?!?!?!?

I will be starting my liquid diet on the 2nd of October. Does this mean that I have to quit my coffee? !?!?!?!?!?

I had to according to my dr. I followed my preop.. I was scared of having a fatty liver. I'm glad I did, I lost 19 pounds during that time