Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How did you get beyond a plateau?

I was banded on 1/31/13. Down 43lbs to date, but the first 40 pretty much came off easily between Jan - May including 2 fills, then I stalled all summer at about 40lbs lost. I held stead for 3 months, had 1 fill but it didn't do much during that time. After meeting with my NP 2 weeks ago she suggested a drastic calorie cut (1000 vs 1600 I had been at) and up my cardio to 60 mins 7d/wk. She explained 40lbs tends to be a big sticking point for people.

So far, with my fill 2 weeks ago and 5x a week 1hour+ cardio sessions things are starting to move, down 3lbs in 2 weeks. Very much struggling with my food though, I can't seem to get below 1400cal without being starving. My food choices are good and I am hitting 80g+ of Protein. I just feel like since I burn about 1000cal with my workout, to eat 1000cal/day which would be a net of 0 cals/day is unachievable.

Our bodies just get used to the same ole routine. Although it sounds like you are eating right, and exercising; your body is just not shocked anymore.

You need to shock your body by changing your diet and workout. You need to find more filling foods so you wont feel hungry. Where is most of your Protein coming from? You might not be getting Protein from the right foods, which still cause the feeling of hunger. That leads us to make poor food choices.

Just my opinion, but here goes:

Sounds to me like the NP you mention is more of a dietician. You didn't really need surgery to diet.....

She's telling you that you NEED 60 minutes of cardio 7 days a week to lose weight? Really...7 days a week? Not that it wouldn't help, but you don't NEED 7 days a week, 60 minutes a day...to lose weight with the band. (By the way, burning 1000 cal/hour during your cardio is awesome! )

You say you are making good food choices, getting enough Protein, and are starving......sounds like you are NOT IN THE GREEN ZONE...YET.

Best wishes! :)

Hang in there!! The exercise is all good but I think like catfish, sounds like band adjustment is in need. My 40 came off fast too, the next 30 not so much.

My Breakfast Protein is usually from an egg or greek yogurt. morning snack is usually almonds, lunch is either tuna or chicken breast, afternoon snack of yogurt or cottege cheese, dinner is a meat protein, using a solid steak/chicken breast/fish item plus veggies.

BTW i am at 9.5CC in a 14cc band. I was in the green zone before, so I know the feeling, but now I sometimes definately have more issues with getting food to go down/blocking (not sticking) etc...

My breakfast Protein is usually from an egg or greek yogurt. morning snack is usually almonds' date=' lunch is either tuna or chicken breast, afternoon snack of yogurt or cottege cheese, dinner is a meat Protein, using a solid steak/chicken breast/fish item plus veggies.[/quote']

I often eat much like this and it's only about 1000 calories per day. Try to serve yourself just a little bit less. Sometimes I finish the last few bites cuz they are on my plate but I could prolly go without them. Sometimes just making some small tweaks can equal 100-150 calories. Also if you're working out try to drink Water if you find yourself hungry before 3 hrs. And as others have said, it might be time for a small fill.

Couple points...

Wow, your daily menu sounds alot like mine and I eat 800-1000 cals a day. So this is about portions. Are all your foods 1 cup or under?

Now I am not saying you have to drop down to 800-1000 cals because I do absolutely ZERO exercise due to a bad back. The avg intake for bandsters is 800-1200 cals depending on activity level. I would concur that 1600 is high. HOWEVER, most (like 99.999999% of us are not doing 7 day hour long cardio sessions).

The problem here is that your NP gave you 2 variables to change, when it's not necessary. Change diet or exercise.

Simple formula: Fat loss = calories in - calories burned

So here's examples (fake numbers)

If you are losing no weight eating 1500 cals and burning 1000 cals

(which is 0= 1500 - 1000 (-body cals)

than tweak one like calories

(which is 0.5= 1300 - 1000 (-body cals)

or tweak exercise

(which is 0.5 = 1500 - 1300 (-body cals)

The result really is the same. It also helps you to identify your sweet spot.

You do not want to eat so much that despite exercise you are not losing, and you don't want to exercise so much that your intake is inadequate to support your exercise.

Please understand there are calories burned from normal body activities and that must be factored into calories burned as well.

Another thought, you do not go cold turkey on calories reduction. Reduce by 100-150 cals until you acclimate. That's a double shock to the system..and that can put you into .... ANOTHER PLATEAU!!

I would recommend carb cycling! It keeps your body guessing and it works wonders. I read this tip on this forum and it has helped me tremendously! I went out and bought the book "7 day carb cycle solution by Chris Powell" ... it is amazing and for me has been super easy and worked like a charm! I am 5 months post op today and down 79 pounds. I do not exercise 7 days a week and I dont do cardio for an hour ever. LOL I am not a cardio fan. I do strength training 3 days a week and cardio 2-3 days a week for 30 minutes. I really think I started seeing weight drop faster when I incorporated the weights. It might sound intimidating but it's really not. :)

OH...and I have not had any fills. I got the band to keep me from binging. It is doing just that! I can not eat the 5 pieces of pizza in one sitting like I used to!

Just discovered this; in case anyone is interested:

Amazon Prime Members can "borrow" books similar to the one mentioned above (carb cycling) for free.

Holy cow, if you're exercising and burning 1000 cals a day, no bloody wonder you're always starving! This is only my own personal opinion but 1 hour a day 7 days a week without a rest day is, to me, excessive. Even athletes have rest days.

I agree with hazel in that she's just thrown up these variables to you and that to me doesn't teach you anything. Yes, you BMR drops when you lose, and therefore you need less calories to survive in general (and therefore need even less calories to lose) but I agree with you that a 0 net calorie balance for the day is just crazy talk, and even worse, probably unsustainable.

In the green zone, even if I've exercised and am super hungry, I still can't eat more than 1200 cals a day if I'm eating good food. Protein fills me up and does the job of keeping me satisfied for 3 - 4 hours. But I also don't overexercise (4 x strength training for 20 mins a day now, and when I was losing, I did 3 x 40 min cardio a week, and that to me, is a pretty strict routine as it was), so I wasn't struggling with my body trying to get me to eat back my exercise calories so I didn't go into too much of a calorie deficit.

There is a balance that needs to be struck, and I don't think the advice she gave you strikes the right balance. Just my opinion.

Our bodies just get used to the same ole routine. Although it sounds like you are eating right' date=' and exercising; your body is just not shocked anymore.

You need to shock your body by changing your diet and workout. You need to find more filling foods so you wont feel hungry. Where is most of your Protein coming from? You might not be getting Protein from the right foods, which still cause the feeling of hunger. That leads us to make poor food choices.[/quote']

That's exactly what I did. In fact, I changed what I eat and actually stopped working out for a week. I felt like my body needed a rest and it worked. I then I started back exercising again.

I too am stuck in the 40 pound rut... Well 44 to be exact. I just started adding cardio and I'm hoping to get a fill. I have a thread under the fills that tells ya why I am "hoping" for a fill. Lol good luck everyone!

Ok tell me what are some ideas for lunch and the times that I find so hard after dinner. Tv time and ya want to snack? ?

Sent from my iPhone using LapBandTalk

UGH, Have no idea what is going on. I haven't had a fill in a long time and just last week I was thinking it was time but didn't set up an appointment. I wasn't losing or gaining and haven't in a while but now suddenly since Tue I can't eat anything but rice cakes!!! Everything is getting stuck!!! I have been so sick the last two days and my throat is now burning. I went to get a frappe' this morning just because I wanted something and what the heck I haven't eaten really in two days but I can't even drink it, it is making me feel stuck again and making the burn worse. I seem to be able to drink hot coffee and that's about it.

Haven't heard from you guys in a while, hope you are all doing well and not getting frustrated like me!