Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Back from our cruise!

Just got back today from our 9 night Caribbean Cruise...

This has not been our first since I was banded, but our 3rd...and all I can say is each time, including this cruise, the band has performed magnificently...!!

I do not count calories, nor do I measure portions...(have not for 2-1/2 years.....I do rely on the band, and being in the green zone to do that for me...and this vacation experience was no exception...

I ate what I wanted, when I wanted, all the time letting the band dictate the parameters....

and it was physically impossible to overeat!!! Even when I tried! Every night in the dining room, I left 1/2 the food on my plate, simply could not go on because the band sets my portion sizes....

One night, I forced the issue and went for that 2nd lobster tail even though the band said No More!....that was the first time in 2 years I came very close to getting stuck big time...started to slime, and had to excuse myself to go to the men's room, and I guess the walk there worked things out and I recovered....lesson learned....always listen to the band!!!! Don't force the issue or else.....

I was on vacation so I enjoyed myself (indulged) in my share of alcohol...a couple of Bloody Mary's a day, wine at dinner, and a few beers at the pool or when at the beach, (of course)...

The band is the band, is the band...whether I'm at home. on a cruise, at a party, whatever...,it does not change....

I still cannot eat Breakfast, so after my morning workout I had my usual Protein shake, then joined my Wife in the buffet for Breakfast where I had coffee and nibbled on a piece of toast....

There is, and always will be, certain foods I avoid no matter where I'm at...but I did snack here and there throughout the day...just not like the pig I used to be...plus I was never really hungry all day...just as it is where ever I am, 24/7....

Bottom line....I weighed myself today and I lost one pound...in other words, no difference given my normal fluctuations.......

I do know my body very well now, and I can definitely tell I am loaded with toxins and other junk from all that rich food and drink, so tomorrow I am going on a few days of strict food intake and extra time in the sauna to sweat out all these impurities.....and plenty of water!

I can only speak for myself, and not what other people experience...frankly what other people do and how they do it is none of my business...but without meaning to step on anyone's toes...I read posts everyday about people needing to "Getting back on track"

NO OFFENSE, but coming up on 3 years I still do not understand what that means with WLS....( I have my theories).... I have done everything possible to get "Off Track" and can not...the band never changes!! (short of a medical condition, knock on wood)....

I have been on many, many diets prior to WLS, and "Fell off the wagon" with all of them....so in that respect I can understand...but I find it very hard, if not impossible to beat the band, without major side effects that are not pleasant and one wants to avoid at all cost....

I was "Morbidly Obese" because I simply ate too much, and too often....the band took care of that...Simple as that! No secret formulas or hocus pocus ...

Again, what other people do is none of my business...I can only share my experiences....and everyone can share theirs....

Having this Surgery has truly changed the way I eat, and my lifestyle overall!!!

Very inspirational post. I am getting banded on September 12 and going on a New Year's Cruise at the end of the year!

Looking forward to the future!

Way to go! I've done several cruises since being banded. Haven't gained during any of them, including the one I took 6 weeks post-op before my first fill. I have, however, been stuck on a ship. I tried to eat Breakfast, something I don't normally do. That was a BAD idea. After I decided to follow my regular patterns, I was fine.

My best advice is to know where the nearest bathroom is while dining, just in case. That helps to ensure you won't get stuck! ;)

Like you, I follow my band and enjoy myself.

I'm sitting at the bar on vacation right now having a cocktail. 3 days of sun, drinks and more food available than I thought possible and I've not gained one pound. No calorie counting, just living life and enjoying it, and letting the band do it's work. So yes when I have a working band at the right fill level, it is set and forget. :)

B52

I agree with you wholeheartedly. I try to eat whatever I want, but always in small amounts. Yesterday, I went to the movies. The "old" me would have bought: a large Coke, a medium bag of popcorn, some chocolate candy, and a hotdog! With the "new" me, I took some Quaker popped mini rice cakes. My favorite flavor is caramel corn. 15 of them equals 120 calories. I placed 15 of them in a ziplock bag and two bottles of Water. I had a great time at the movies, saved a ton of money because I didn't purchase absolutely anything from the concession stand, and kept within my daily caloric intake. We can do it folks!

I'm planning on a bandster's "cruise to lose", I went on a cruise in January and lost 5 lbs. yes, you can lose on a cruise! Good going!

I'm planning on a bandster's "cruise to lose", I went on a cruise in January and lost 5 lbs. yes, you can lose on a cruise! Good going!

I'm still interested in this! :)

I'm still interested in this! :)

what Steph said!