Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello everyone

I have been feeling a little torn & confused, I have done all this research on lapband and I chose that in the beginning. I've been hearing a lot of good stuff about GBS

I just want to get input on how your decision was made, and did you consider other options besides the lapband?

My husband isn't too crazy about me having GBS, but he said he supports whatever decision I make.

Can someone please help & give me some advice!

I'm so torn

Thanks again everyone :)

the only reason I chose the band is because its reversible. A lot of people with the by pass end up gaining most if not all and more of their weight back. The by pass also does not allow you to take in nutrients from the food you are eating because they disconnect the large intestine. A lot of people become Vitamin deficient and end up with eating issues. I would definitely research all your options but the band has less issues then the other two surgeries.

Picking a weight loss surgery is a personal choice. And each surgery has their own pros and cons.

I chose the band because I do not want my insides rearranged and the problems that comes along with them, too many bypass people are getting hypoglycemia after 2-4 years post, in fact it's so common they have clinical trials for both Sleeve and Bypass folks. It can be debilitating and dangerous, you can google that, and I don't want to spend my life eating every two hours to keep from fainting and/or worse having seizures, it can get that bad for many long term bypassers, you need to research that while you are researching the Bypass, not counting the high rate of Vitamin deficiencies and other issues.

The lap band does not come without long term risks too, like reflux, esophageal issues and slippage those are real risks, but to me, I can live with those risks and I've had my band almost 8 years and the things I've experienced, I am comfortable with dealing with any future reflux issues and if gets too bad I can just get the band removed, with Bypass or Sleeve, whatever comes your way you will have to deal with it forever.

Also, most importantly, I've seen too many friends over the 8 years gain their weight back and the honeymoon for the bypass is about 18 months, you will lose quick, but after that it will be hard core dieting, and you must still take the Vitamins forever even if you regain weight too many are now seeking bands over their bypass because the pouch stretches for many.

Many say the band don't last forever, and that was true for me, I developed a hiatal hernia or had one that got inflamed in my 7th year and I will tell you I would rather get rebanded every 8 years if I could, to make sure I get restriction again, than to get the bypass and have it be effective for only a few years and have to diet like crazy after the honeymoon is over.

Good luck

In terms of wls, I considered ALL the options.

I ultimately decided on the band because:

1) it does not require rerouting my plumbing

-serious adverse effects such as internal bleeding, ulcers, torn sutures, repair surgeries, etc was not appealing

2) I did not want adverse health effects such as malabsorption issues, dumping syndrome etc to deal with

3) I like the idea of the band being temporary (as in, it's removable) if any complications arose. And that it was adaptable, changed as I needed it to support me through different stages of wl

4) I was not unrealistic wanting/needing drastic wl in a shorter period of time. The extra time gave me more time to cope, relearn good eating habits, deal w/ changes easier, address eating issues before reaching goal etc.

That and I had a friend's daughter pass away after longterm issues from her GBP. Hit too close to home.

it seemed like the safer option and I am completely satisfied with it.

I chose the band because it was reversible, if necessary. I do know of someone who had the sleeve. I have seen her eat, she hasn't changed any of her habits, none. Though I know it will catch up to her.

I have changed my lifestyle for this. I want this so bad. I gave up coffee, pop, burgers, so many things. And I don't miss most of them. The caffeine, the bloating. I feel so good now. I just want to keep moving in the right direction. I exercise on a almost daily basis.

Doing something like this, without changing your life while doing so, will only bring you back where you were. I did one thing at a time, and the band made it easier to do. It's a tool. Not magic. It will take time to get to goal weight. Remember that and you'll do fine.

And I have no regrets, none at all. Just wish I did it sooner.

Good luck

Like the others I too chose the band because it's reversible and the fact that I didn't want my insides all cut up. I too have friends and relatives who have had the bypass and they lost all that weight and now it's like they had nothing done. Why go through all that if you're not going to stick with it? Makes no sense to me. Good luck with your decision.

I chose the band over by pass and the sleeve as it was safer and reversible. Also it does not work by malabsorption as does the by pass and sleeve. I have 2 friends who had the by pass one has gained her weight back, the other has had many problems. I also have a friend who got the sleeve and she is 15 years younger than me but looks much older, and it is caused from the malabsorption syndrome. I just could not do that to myself. I was in my surgeons office for my 4 week check up and there was a lady who was 2 months out with a by pass as it was all her insurance would pay for. Anyway she had only lost 4 pounds more in 2 months than I had lost in 1! She said she was having a very hard time eating, she wasn't able to get any meat down, and was still doing Protein Shakes and having a hard time keeping them down. I'd suggest you go to a support group for both surgeries and get a chance to talk to people who have had them done, that's what I did. Either way you go good luck!

thanks everyone for the great advice! I guess I still have a little more research to do before I have my pre-op appointment :)

I really appreciate this community! you guys rock!

<3