Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Not eating enough....

I never thought those words would come out of my mouth , banded nearly 6 weeks ago and thankfully I am rarely hungry so far trouble is I don't thing I am meeting minimum nutrition , I get between 5-7 hundred cals per day lean Proteins mostly , question how much do all of you eat ? and how can I get more Protein in? , thanks

Wonderful not being hungry. Did your dietitian give you a menu to follow about your food intake? I know I am suppose to have at least 20g of Protein at a meal. Best to ask the experts what they want you to consume daily. Each doctor has their own view on this.

Initially, I was told to have a minimum of 60 grams of Protein per day. My daily calorie intake is somewhere between 1000-1200.

I say "initially" on the Protein, because in the visit with my surgeon (little over a week ago....for a TNE), I mentioned that I was having a hard time getting in enough veggies. I told him (based on our training), that when I eat all of the protein first, there's very little room left for veggies, complex carbs, etc. He told me that at this point, he's perfectly fine with me having a minimum of 40 grams of protein, and bumping up the veggies. He told me that he cannot tell classrooms full of patients this, because with the change in eating habits, they want to make sure that everyone gets in enough protein, and shifts the way they think about eating. I've always been protein driven, anyway, so getting enough has never been an issue. However, many people love (for instance) a plate of Pasta with plain marinara, and don't make protein numero uno. Many (like my BF) hardly eat any protein at all.

Disclaimer: I am not advising anyone to lower their daily protein intake from the 60 gram minimum, to 40. I'm just relaying a conversation I had with my own surgeon, based on my own diet plan/issues.

I am frequently hungry-- at times, ravenous. It diesn't take long to fill me up, but I worry that I am eating too much. No one explained anythjng to me. Help. How much do i need per day?

I am frequently hungry-- at times' date=' ravenous. It diesn't take long to fill me up, but I worry that I am eating too much. No one explained anythjng to me. Help. How much do i need per day?[/quote']

Didn't your surgeons office give you any guidance? Call them as all doctors have a little different program.

I followed the rule (once on real food) of 2-3 ounces of Protein (meat), 1/3 cup of veggies and 1/3 c of good carb. My nutritionist always said to only eat when hungry and that may only be two meals a day. Snacks are ok, they should just be healthy. Don't drink your Protein once you are eating real food as real food will keep you satisfied longer.

I ate around 500-600 calories a day while losing. I also exercise everyday for around an hour or 500 calories burned. I also logged everything on MyFitnessPal.com so I new what I was really eating! What an eye opener!

Keep in mind that calorie intake is different for everyone and so is exercise. You have to find what works for you. Fills are also different for everyone. I have only ever had one fill. I am always satisfied and rarely hungry. I ate out of habit, which is hard to break. Now I try to only eat when hungry, no set time. Don't eat to be full. Eat your set amount and see how long before you are truly hungry again. For me it is six hours or so. If you can go 4 hours between small meals, that is great! If you eat frequently, just make sure it is super small! I usually eat two meals and two to three Snacks. TONS of water!

Initially' date=' I was told to have a minimum of 60 grams of Protein per day. My daily calorie intake is somewhere between 1000-1200.

I say "initially" on the Protein, because in the visit with my surgeon (little over a week ago....for a TNE), I mentioned that I was having a hard time getting in enough veggies. I told him (based on our training), that when I eat all of the protein first, there's very little room left for veggies, complex carbs, etc. He told me that at this point, he's perfectly fine with me having a minimum of 40 grams of protein, and bumping up the veggies. He told me that he cannot tell classrooms full of patients this, because with the change in eating habits, they want to make sure that everyone gets in enough protein, and shifts the way they think about eating. I've always been protein driven, anyway, so getting enough has never been an issue. However, many people love (for instance) a plate of Pasta with plain marinara, and don't make protein numero uno. Many (like my BF) hardly eat any protein at all.

Disclaimer: I am not advising anyone to lower their daily protein intake from the 60 gram minimum, to 40. I'm just relaying a conversation I had with my own surgeon, based on my own diet plan/issues.[/quote']

I was the same way. Nutritionist said don't worry about the protein anymore, focus on eating a balanced meal, but protein in first. Worked for me. I met goal at 14 months and no complications or issues. Never stuck or anything.

I'm only 3 days post-op and having trouble getting more than 30 grams of Protein in. I'm hoping it gets better as I heal and my nausea goes away.

Maybe try adding a Protein Bar as a snack?

Don't add a Protein bar until you are able to have real food. You should still be on liquid or mushies at the soonest. When I was in the early stage, I drank 3-4 Protein drinks a day and that was easily 80 gm of protein. Are you drinking a hi Protein Drink? You should be. Your body needs the liquids and hi protein to heal. Drink, drink, drink. No dense or hard food until you are told to. Your stomach needs to heal.

If you are having problems with Protein Drinks, you need to try different brands. Some are nasty and you may have aversions to some as your body and taste buds do change after being banded. Just try something else. You can also buy an unflavored powder and add to crystal light if you don't like the milky flavored ones.

I'm only 3 days post-op and having trouble getting more than 30 grams of Protein in. I'm hoping it gets better as I heal and my nausea goes away.

Maybe try adding a Protein bar as a snack?

you can't have any food until your doctor tells you can. Your surgery has to heal and your stomach get use to having a band around it. Call the doctor in the morning.

Sorry, I didn't mean I was planning to add a Protein bar at this point (I realize that's a no no at 3 days post op), I meant that maybe the original poster should try that.

Sorry, I didn't mean I was planning to add a Protein bar at this point (I realize that's a no no at 3 days post op), I meant that maybe the original poster should try that.

I added in a shake and now im good , thanks for all the replies