Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm still in the trial and error phases of life with my band and slime rather frequently. I was wondering if this is harmful? I'm not PB'ing really...or at least I don't think so, it's not food, just slime.

Sorry, I am very new to this. What is sliming?

I have not had that problem, but I was told if I wanted to avoid having it to take small bites and wait between bites. Hope it improves for you.

Sliming is the natural mechanism of creating mucous in your throat to help dislodge or move along food particles and/or agitants stuck in the throat. By default, having the band creates a funnel effect. So the food stops at the stoma and slowly slides through the stoma. If it stays too long, the body natural sees it as something being stuck in the throat and begins making mucous. Unfortunately, when that happens, the mucous just sits on top of the food and starts backing up the throat. This requires requrg (not vomitting) to expel the mucous, otherwise it creates compounding pressue which is uncomfortable, and can even stretch the pouch w/ increasing volume/pressure building (although I dont know anyone who can tolerate it that long ahahah). You usually become very nauseous as the pressure builds with an urge to vomit if not relieved. Avoid that phase at all cost as it is not good for the band.

Sliming while driving is the worst. Happened a couple of weeks back while sitting in traffic. I feel bad for all the people that had to witness that but I couldn't hold it back any longer.

been thre myself Jim...so not pretty...LOL

Sorry this is kind of a gross question, but approximately what volume of slime is produced?

I know it varies from person to person, but I was hoping to have a general idea so I could be prepared. Can it be contained in a tissue or two? A Dixie cup? A Home Depot bucket?

Sorry this is kind of a gross question, but approximately what volume of slime is produced?

I know it varies from person to person, but I was hoping to have a general idea so I could be prepared. Can it be contained in a tissue or two? A Dixie cup? A Home Depot bucket?

Please do not take offense to my answer but I had to chuckle to my self when I read your question, which is a good one, The easiest most honest answer is, it feels like a home depot bucket but actually it is the size of a dixie cup. Do not try to contain in a tissue, it can become very messy and ooz all over your hands and look very disgusting when it happens in public. Slimming can be very uncomfortable if you try to hold it back for long periods of time, it will come out and you can not hold it back. If you have every feed a baby formula, it reminds me of spit up when they eat too much and they are over full. Our slimming is due to food being stuck from eating too fast or trying to drink while eating. Or those times when a small piece of lettuce or spinach gets stuck. I have had more stuck episodes with salads and cooked greens than anything I eat. Again Sorry for the chuckle but I have to find humor in my screw ups.

OMG! The spit up thing happened to me in the car too...thank God I wasnt driving. I ended up "sliming" my mini-schnauzer that was riding in my lap, and my husband was pretty disturbed by thd entire thing. But I felt much better once it all came out. I just never what it was called, and I was happy to read that others have experienced it enough to name it.

Sliming while driving is the worst. Happened a couple of weeks back while sitting in traffic. I feel bad for all the people that had to witness that but I couldn't hold it back any longer.

The worst for me was in the front row of the jury box in a high profile double murder trial. Ugh. Nearly had to ask the judge to stop, but we got a break and I was able to dash out!

The slime isn't dangerous, retching can be.

My solution when I'm going thru a tough spell of sometimes accepting/ sometimes not. A Baggie can be helpful in the car. Not a tissue. Truly. Just my humble suggestion after almost 7 years.

Wish I could know what sets mine off. I just know it takes a good day or two to relax