Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New Here! Wondering If I Made A Mistake

I just wanted to drop in and introduce myself. My name is Christina. I have spent most of my adult life avoiding cameras so my pic is one of my 3 siberian huskies. Once I can get a decent pic on my computer I will change it.

I had my surgery 9 days ago. I waited almost a year for my surgery due to insurance red tape. I was so excited to finally get it.

I am having a lot of pain where the port is. I seem to not be able to tie my shoes on the right side, lay on my right side, rest my arm near the site with out a considerable amount of pain, and it's just lumpy looking. I have no idea if any of this is normal and wa hoping someone could key me in.

I am also very hungry. This is new. It has been the last 3 days and I seem to be getting nauseated frequently whith the hungar pains. This has been a prior issue my whole life. I was hoping that with the band I would not be hungry ALL the time. I measured how much I could eat this evening at the "full" feeling. I am sitting currently at about 4 oz. I had some well blended cream of potato Soup. My instruction tell me to have 8 oz with 4 oz of a diet juice. No way, 4oz of Soup and that was all I could take. Not even a hour and a half later I was hungry again to the point of misery. I was in tears from being so physically hungry. It is almost 4 hours later and I am still not feeling well at all. I drink, drink, drink and the nausea, light headedness just misery in general will not go away. Is this normal. I was told 3 "meals" a day.

Also the protien drinks make me ill as well. I did well with them through the whole prep before surgery. This is also a new development in the last days to where just the smell makes my stomach flip and want to vomit. I forced 4oz down this evening. It was worse them my mom making me hold my nose to eat brussle sprouts when I was a kid. I just can't do it. Everyone I force the next one tries to come right back up. That is with taking small sips not guzzling. I hope someone can help with this too. I am statring to regret having this surgery as I seem so misserable :( .

It is normal to be hungry at this stage. The swelling from the op has gone down but you have no fill yet. Many people refer to this as bandsters hell. Follow your Dr's instructions and if you are unsure of something call him.

Often nausea can be from not having the right kind of food. Too many sweet Protein shakes made me nauseous, once I started on healthy homemade veggie Soups I felt heaps better. You may need to adjust what you are eating to find what works for you.

Man I hate Protein shakes. I had Soup, broth, tea, anything I could possibly find that meant I wouldn't have to have Protein Shakes.

Also remember this stage won't last forever. I was starving in a day or two after I came out of surgery and while it sucks, you can get through it and soon you'll be on mushies and less hungry.

Now the nausea. Are you on painkillers of any sort? Many painkillers, on an empty tummy, can make you nauseated. If you're not taking painkillers, then buy yourself a hot Water bottle coz that helps with the nausea too.

Feel better soon! This is no fun but you will get through this -- so glad you're posting as there are so many people here who have been through what you're going through right now. Your body is healing. The heating pad recommendation keeps coming up and of course walking, walking, walking to get everything "right" again. Meanwhile I'd call it in this morning and hear from the doctors -- thats what they are there for -- and on the Protein Shake could there be something like a dairy intolerance? Can some one run out and get you a couple of alternatives to try? Keep us posted!

Welcome to "Bandster Hell", your visit here won't last long but we'll make damn sure you don't forget your time spent here. :ph34r:

Don't worry, what you are going through can be normal. You are still in the healing stages and you're still very gassy - you can expect these symptoms to continue for a couple more weeks or so. Fill your tummy with whatever you can tolerate at this point - mashed potatoes, scrambled eggs, oatmeal, Peanut Butter...you're okay for mushies now so just try to keep those at hand and take tiny tiny bites. I can't stand Protein shakes anymore myself, they make me gag - at one point I loved them, swore by them but that phase is long past now. Although I didn't need prescription anti-nausea medication for very long, I know that it helped during that time and I chewed on a lot of ice chips. If you don't have a store nearby that has it, chop it up in your blender or food processor. You can add Crystal Light or any unsweetened juice to make a slush with it...you have to get creative though.

I hate you are regretting your decision, but please keep in mind that it is too soon for you to make that determination. After day 4, I was over the misery and feeling better but everybody is different. Just hang in there, it gets better.

Thanks to everyone for the support.

I woke up this morning with a new outlook and less crabbly/emotional. I appreciate the support. I am so glad I found this place and such wonderful people.

I am one month PRE-op still, but have read "buyers remorse" is very common and you will get over it!

Good luck and cant wait to join you in one month! Hope you feel better soon!

My name is also Christina.... nice to meet you.

Sometimes the Vitamins can also cause upset stomach. I did the same as Lellow... i avoided them as much as i could... but go figure today... i felt like a smoothie from smoothie King... so that's whats for lunch. chocolate Peanut Butter power. chocolate whey powder, Peanut Butter, and bananas... Ymmy

Remember when you feel that way.... repeat this in your head..... This Too Shall Pass...

Remember when you feel that way.... repeat this in your head..... This Too Shall Pass...

The quote never leaves my head. My daughter has a huge chest tattoo with a hour glass and ribbon that says that.

It is nice to meet you as well!

You will look back in a few months and love your decision and wish you'd have done it sooner;). It won't always be smooth sailing, but it will get better and be so worth it;)

I am over a year and a half out and I remember that on day 8 I thought to myself, "I'm good! Yay!" Before that, I struggled with clear liquids- so so so hungry- I went to full liquids and was much better. I myself like my Protein drinks- I use Unjury- I either have chocolate splendor with almond milk, or vanilla with 1 Tbsp sugar free pistachio pudding and 1 c almond milk, or vanilla Protein powder with 1 c trop 50 oj and a little ice. It's all a matter of taste, some (muscle milk light!!) I could not STAND, LOL.

It's a journey, I'm finding, I'm having all the same emotions around food I used to have, and sometimes it's hard. I would absolutely recommend three things (besides the obvious one of following all your doctor's orders!!):

1. Log all your food. I use My Fitness Pal, but there are others too. Or on paper- who cares, just log and keep track- calories and especially Protein

2. Get into some sort of regular exercise- small and simple counts!

3. Be a regular poster here- for the support of all of us who have been where you are and can help and/or sympathize!

Good luck to you, it really was a great decision!

Nicki

Well I had to pay my surgeon a visit this afternoon. The pukey feeling had me in tears again. I could not open my eyes, tolerate movement or smells. He removed Fluid from my band and instantly I felt 75% better. He told me I had to suffer through the shakes but he thought it would be better now. I am trying now but It is going to come back up. As my pukey feeling returned with vengence.

My surgeon has a specific list of shakes. As we all know the more pure the protien the nastier they taste. Put it to you this way GNC made a killing off me and they will probably never see another penny :lol: . They may sell "quality products" but for the price you would think they could have less of a putrid taste and smell.